URGENT! looking for work in TURKU

Useful advice on jobs, careers and entrepreneurship in Finland. Find job postings, job information, work permits and more.
snieptjes

Post by snieptjes » Fri Aug 14, 2015 8:41 pm

Moi!

I am a 22-year old girl from Germany who moved to Turku two months ago.
So far I have worked as a waitress, a dishwasher, nannied multiple kids, I am good at cleaning and my actual profession is biological laboratory-assistant.
In order to stay in Finland I have to find a job as soon as possible so I would happily take ANY kind of job.
My Finnish skills are still very limited but improving constantly.

Kiitos.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

tuttu

Re: URGENT! looking for work in TURKU

Post by tuttu » Sat Aug 15, 2015 8:27 am

i think you might have a chance of cleaning on the ships that go to stockholm.
not sure how it goes if you don't speak finnish or swedish...

if i were you, i would spread around the fact that you're from germany. many finns (or non-germans in general) seem to have the notion that germans are good workers.

you can look for "sijaisuus" (vertretung) for short- to midterm in various areas (social), you might be lucky to find something where english is sufficient or even german.

you should definitely check out mol.fi pages (not in english. hmm. maybe på svenska?).

there's a small german children's group in Kaskenkatu 1 or 3 (Kindergruppe der deutschen Gemeinde Turku), iirc. they won't have any work for you, but you can ask if they can help or know something.

my first job when i came to finland was naked art modeling in työväenopisto (Volkshochschule). for me it was good, and there was nothing indecent about it.

until you learn finnish, i don't see how you can get a qualified (biol. lab assistant) job in turku.
maybe in the capital area, speaking english.

ps:
i'm not sure if i misread your post... the jobs you listed, you already did those in the 2 months you were here?
also i'm not sure if a temp job qualifies for "In order to stay in Finland I have to find a job as soon as possible".

snieptjes

Post by snieptjes » Mon Aug 17, 2015 4:38 pm

Hey,
Thank you so much for your ideas.
I am constantly looking for work on mol.fi and thought this website would be a good oportunity to spread the word about me.
I will definitely contact the Deutsche Gemeinde to which the kindergarden belongs.

The jobs I listed is everything work-related I've done over the last few years.

As far as I am concerned, I am allowed to stay in Finland as long as I have a work contract.

Thank you a lot.

turkuturku132

Post by turkuturku132 » Thu Aug 20, 2015 1:02 pm

I'm in a pretty similar situation and the same age.

I've checked all the ship websites between Turku and Stockholm but they only offer specific skilled jobs. Is there somewhere I can drop a CV or do I need to wait until something for me comes up on their site? Thanks :)

tuttu

Post by tuttu » Sun Aug 23, 2015 10:03 am

@turkuturku:
i've never done that job myself, but i just dropped a line to a friend who has.

@all:
indeed, as another EU citizen i can say that i never ever had even the hint of a problem with resident permits.
i was here definitely longer than 3 months before i started working. only many years later i realised that this might have been against regulations.
nobody ever gave me a hard time about it in the dozen years i've been living here.

@tummansininen:
please don't feel bad about it. just stating the facts, and they stem from travel regulations (because nobody can prove 100% whether you have traveled across borders or not), not some sort of EU-internal sympathy.

tuttu

Post by tuttu » Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:58 am

turkuturku132 wrote:I've checked all the ship websites between Turku and Stockholm but they only offer specific skilled jobs. Is there somewhere I can drop a CV or do I need to wait until something for me comes up on their site? Thanks :)
i asked that friend and she replied:

- On the Silja Tallink webpage there's a button "Töihin Tallink Siljalle"
- On the Viking Line web page it says "Ota yhteyttä" and from there -> "Hae työtä"

i haven't visited those pages myself, but i guess that's all there is to it.