Senior Drupal developer salary

Useful advice on jobs, careers and entrepreneurship in Finland. Find job postings, job information, work permits and more.
reindeer

Post by reindeer » Wed Jan 20, 2016 5:05 pm

Hi,

I'm starting a job as a Senior Drupal developer with 7 years of experience. Do you know what should be the reasonable salary expectation for it in Helsinki? Thank you!

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Beep_Boop

Re: Senior Drupal developer salary

Post by Beep_Boop » Wed Jan 20, 2016 6:15 pm

reindeer wrote:I'm starting a job as a Senior Drupal developer with 7 years of experience. Do you know what should be the reasonable salary expectation for it in Helsinki? Thank you!
Well, if you're starting the job, then it means you've already accepted an offer, which means you had an offer, which means you already know what you're getting... whiiiich means you probably should have done your homework quite earlier than this.

"Average salary" is an dreamy concept by which you compare your salary to someone with different skills and experience. I've worked with $Framework Developers of all experience level and skills. Honestly, I've never seen a good correlation between years of experience and actual salary. You might be a really good dev and get paid 70k+ €, then there's really no point in comparing yourself to someone who's been in the industry for 7 years as well but he's completely sh*t and isn't even worth the 45k he's getting.

If you still want numbers, I think the Stackoverflow survey is a pretty good source https://stackoverflow.com/research/deve ... urvey-2015 (you can get raw data here). I crunched the Finland numbers when the results came out; if my memory serves me right, I think seniors averaged something like 60k. I'll check the Excel and come back.

Edit: Yep, I was pretty close. In total, there were 102 respondent who had TRUE on the following conditions: EXP_YEARS>5, FULL_TIME_EMPLOYMENT, COUNTRY=Finland, FIELD=Web, TITLE=Dev.
Correction: That's 59846 US dollars a year. It would be 54,922 Euros a year, or about 4500 euros a month.
Last edited by Beep_Boop on Mon Jan 25, 2016 11:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Every case is unique. You can't measure the result of your application based on arbitrary anecdotes online.

reindeer

Post by reindeer » Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:33 pm

Beep_Boop wrote: Well, if you're starting the job, then it means you've already accepted an offer, which means you had an offer, which means you already know what you're getting... whiiiich means you probably should have done your homework quite earlier than this.
Thank you! You're absolutely right! I got and accepted the offer but my salary will be reviewed after the trial ends, hence the question. Is there any specific info about Drupal developer?

Beep_Boop

Post by Beep_Boop » Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:53 pm

reindeer wrote:Thank you! You're absolutely right! I got and accepted the offer but my salary will be reviewed after the trial ends, hence the question. Is there any specific info about Drupal developer?
Nope. There's only respondent who is primarily doing Drupal, but his salary is 2800/month, which is objectively too low.

How much were you offered during the trial period? Were there any concrete info on the post-trial review?
Every case is unique. You can't measure the result of your application based on arbitrary anecdotes online.

Beep_Boop

Post by Beep_Boop » Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:38 am

roger_roger wrote:I have friend in Exove where they do Drupal/Web development and he earns around 3000 with 4-5 years of experience.
Whoa!! That's pennies! :shock:
Even in the little towns of Pohjanmaa devs get a bit more. Truly surprised.

reindeer

Post by reindeer » Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:23 am

roger_roger wrote: I have friend in Exove where they do Drupal/Web development and he earns around 3000 with 4-5 years of experience. As a foreigner you might get less than that if its just Drupal development that you do.
That's indeed quite low but of course it depends on your seniority. Finding a good Drupal developer is quite difficult and there is a high demand for the good/senior ones. My offer is a bit higher than that but I think there's still room for negotiation. If we take that number (59,846EUR) from Beep_Boop's post, the average monthly salary has to be some where around 4700-4800, which I think, is quite reasonable for senior and experienced developer, but of course I can be wrong.

Beep_Boop

Post by Beep_Boop » Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:44 am

Poop!! I've just realized that my numbers are actually in US dollars. Looks like I forgot to apply the conversion to euros. Sorry.
In Euros, that would be 54,922. Translates to ~ 4500 a month.

Small different, but a needed correction anyway.

Upphew

Post by Upphew » Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:11 pm

Beep_Boop wrote:Poop!! I've just realized that my numbers are actually in US dollars. Looks like I forgot to apply the conversion to euros. Sorry.

55k/12,5=quite sharp 4400/month and 2k for lomaraha.
http://google.com http://translate.google.com http://urbandictionary.com
Visa is for visiting, Residence Permit for residing.

reindeer

Post by reindeer » Thu Jan 21, 2016 1:11 pm

Beep_Boop wrote:Poop!! I've just realized that my numbers are actually in US dollars. Looks like I forgot to apply the conversion to euros. Sorry.

That's still quite a decent amount. And since the survey participants can be from anywhere around Finland, the figure for Uusimaa area would be a bit higher I guess.

cors187

Post by cors187 » Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:58 am

60,000 a year for a developer?. No wonder finland is ruined.

Thats like 6 developers in a near by country. What a load is !"#¤%.
I know developers, i didnt think they did much in finland. You know , working 5hrs a day , the other 3 hrs on breaks and office banter.

irnbru

Post by irnbru » Mon Jan 25, 2016 11:04 pm

cors187 wrote:I know developers, i didnt think they did much in finland. You know , working 5hrs a day , the other 3 hrs on breaks and office banter.
Making their companies 100s of millions of euros....

If you spend years learning how to program from the UI to the database which is what a senior drupal would know. 60,000 is the least you deserve.

BTW I think 4500 sounds about right for a developer. Should be pushing 5 for a senior.

Oho

Post by Oho » Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:38 am

cors187 wrote: You know , working 5hrs a day , the other 3 hrs on breaks and office banter.
Five hours a day for a software developer is a lot if he/she actually concentrates on the job, certainly when involved with the kind of software I am. 60 000 is not a lot, a software engineer worth his salt make a lot more in most countries comparable to Finland in general standard and cost of living. Hell as far as I can tell people in the US doing the kind of job I do, or less demanding in may ways, are easily in the six figures.

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Sun Feb 14, 2016 10:12 pm

roger_roger wrote:Every year YLE publishes report saying This person earned this much in a year and so on, stating income is transparent in Finland and one can check how much their neighbour earns.

But how and from where do you check this?
Either you go to a tax office to use their terminal:

https://www.vero.fi/fi-FI/Syventavat_ve ... imistoissa_

Or you can pay for someone to do this on your behalf. For example:

http://www.veroporssi.com

irnbru

Post by irnbru » Mon Feb 15, 2016 11:00 am

roger_roger wrote:Every year YLE publishes report saying This person earned this much in a year and so on, stating income is transparent in Finland and one can check how much their neighbour earns.

But how and from where do you check this?

If this was possible then it'd make negotiating salary for everyone much easier knowing what is the trend that someone with such years of experience earns.
I have seen those records on pirate bay before

cors187

Post by cors187 » Thu Mar 03, 2016 4:06 pm

Oho wrote:
cors187 wrote: You know , working 5hrs a day , the other 3 hrs on breaks and office banter.
Five hours a day for a software developer is a lot if he/she actually concentrates on the job, certainly when involved with the kind of software I am. 60 000 is not a lot, a software engineer worth his salt make a lot more in most countries comparable to Finland in general standard and cost of living. Hell as far as I can tell people in the US doing the kind of job I do, or less demanding in may ways, are easily in the six figures.
I think its buuuls#it,
Im not talking about getting a job on a project that needs you to keep focused and problem solve, keep your mouth shut etc etc.

There are painters earning 60,000 year.
The average guy who develops will never make it. They will become like mosquitoes.

They will be like the do it your self man from poland or estonia or russia or china . Theres a lot of those people(maybe 200million worldwide) who know enough to build a house , but most are just buzzing around looking for the meal.