Is a FARMER a high paying job in Finland?

Useful advice on jobs, careers and entrepreneurship in Finland. Find job postings, job information, work permits and more.
AsianGirl

Post by AsianGirl » Sat Feb 20, 2016 7:07 pm

I wonder how much does a farmer in Finland earns in a month. I met a guy and he works at his brother's cattle farm in Joensuu or I think Karelia. He's about to buy his own farm as well. Is owning a farm a big deal in Finland?

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

wolf80

Re: Is a FARMER a high paying job in Finland?

Post by wolf80 » Sat Feb 20, 2016 11:13 pm

Are you serious??

Ok, first of all, a farmer with his own farm has a business and not a job. Depending on how this business goes he makes more or less money. The same as in every country. If he has a big farm and it goes well he will make nice money. If he has a small farm and it goes well he will make money but less. If the farm doesn't run well he won't make any money or might lose money. Mostly being a farmer means lots of work, seven days a week! Though nowadays you can get another farmer in so you can go on holiday at least.

Somehow it sounded as if you want to know for a reason. So, you're not interested in the guy if he doesn't make much money??

Oombongo

Post by Oombongo » Sun Feb 21, 2016 12:02 am

AsianGirl wrote:I wonder how much does a farmer in Finland earns in a month.
Any why you want to wonder? Weighing a guy according to his wallet size? :mrgreen:
Image Image

leisl

Post by leisl » Sun Feb 21, 2016 1:59 am

AsianGirl wrote:Is owning a farm a big deal in Finland?
No. Farmers aren't well-respected or well-paid anywhere unless they discover some stupid rare crop or animal nobody else is farming yet (and next year everyone will have it). And Finland is worse because the winters are rubbish unless your farm is all in greenhouses. Then get up at 5am, work 14-16 hours a day, work seven days a week, hope that the weather stays kind, hope you can pay your bills next month. Hope that the EU keeps paying you a subsidy for your unprofitable land.

Pick a different guy if you're after a cash "cow". Even if you don't care about money, becoming a farmer's partner in a country where you don't speak the language would be nuts. If you're interested in him like that, pick a different guy. Or tell him not to buy the farm, and move to a bigger city with him. Or take him back to your country instead.

AsianGirl

Post by AsianGirl » Sun Feb 21, 2016 9:15 am

Oombongo wrote:
AsianGirl wrote:I wonder how much does a farmer in Finland earns in a month.
Any why you want to wonder? Weighing a guy according to his wallet size? :mrgreen:

Rosamunda

Post by Rosamunda » Sun Feb 21, 2016 10:38 am

Hmmm...
leisl wrote:
No. Farmers aren't well-respected .
Farmers are not well respected..?!?!? If you have no respect for the farmers producing the food you eat, you should just stick to eating stuff you can forage from the forest yourself. And roadkill. But I guess it is no secret that most people who buy their food from supermarkets have absolutely no idea what is involved in producing it. AND, if they can buy a litre of milk for 0.69 cents, they think they are onto a good deal.
Is owning a farm a big deal in Finland?
The average size of a farm in Finland is quite small (I would guess somewhere around 60 ha), the biggest farms are in western Finland. Most farmers are also forest owners and get income through forest management. It's no big deal to own a farm, there are plenty for sale at quite low prices but buying a running farm with state-of-the-art machinery would involve borrowing huge amounts of money (maybe millions). Running a small farm with 20 heads of cattle or a few sheep and a few fields of oats is quite manageable. Most arable farmers have other jobs in the winter such as driving snow ploughs or long-distance lorry driving.

Your question is like asking: is owning a house a big deal? You can find a house in Finland for under 40K€ and there are probably a few that are worth more than €4M. So that answer is, it depends.

leisl

Post by leisl » Sun Feb 21, 2016 11:46 am

Rosamunda wrote:Hmmm...
leisl wrote:
No. Farmers aren't well-respected .
Farmers are not well respected..?!?!? If you have no respect for the farmers producing the food you eat, you should just stick to eating stuff you can forage from the forest yourself. And roadkill. But I guess it is no secret that most people who buy their food from supermarkets have absolutely no idea what is involved in producing it. AND, if they can buy a litre of milk for 0.69 cents, they think they are onto a good deal.
I didn't say that I had no respect for farmers! Don't put words into my mouth. I said farmers aren't well-respected. They're not given the respect they deserve, and clearly you're well aware of this since your misinterpretation of what I said has hit a nerve and you've bitten the messenger.

Flossy1978

Post by Flossy1978 » Mon Feb 22, 2016 6:10 pm

Depending on the farm size and whatnot, depends on how much they are subsidised by the Government. Farmers in general are doing quite alright in Finland, compared to other countries. I think they are subsidised by about 40%. Australian farmers get a mere 3%. I use to go to the farming areas in Finland to a summer cottage. The farms around us all had two cars and nice cars at that! So they can't be doing too badly.

Spirit of the Forest

Post by Spirit of the Forest » Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:43 pm

I was a dairy farmer before moving to Finland. My pay was quite lousy, a mere 5 euros an hour.
I was wondering about this issue too, but am not too keen on returning to work as a dairy farmer anyway.

Spirit of the Forest

Post by Spirit of the Forest » Fri Feb 26, 2016 11:14 pm

roger_roger wrote:5 euros an hour in Israel is lousy?

by reading your posts in few topics, I am not sure what your aim is, but whatever it is, sticking to one is always beneficial and long term.

A wise man said: Profession is like Women, stick with what you have and be faithful to achieve success.
Israel is a very expensive country. I put in 250 hours a month at work and made only around 1,200 euros.
I don't know how much that is in relation to living costs in Finland, yet. But in Israel it's nothing.
In fact if I was living alone in Tel Aviv I wouldn't be able to cover all my expenses, most likely.

Beep_Boop

Post by Beep_Boop » Sat Feb 27, 2016 12:39 pm

Spirit of the Forest wrote:around 1,200 euros.
I don't know how much that is in relation to living costs in Finland, yet. But in Israel it's nothing.
Are you tripping, achi? That's more than 5000 shekel. You can get a nice small apartment in an acceptable area for 2000-2500 with utilities, and about 250-350 a week for very decent groceries.
If you work on a farm, you generally even can sleep there as many owners provide the facilities, so you'd end up with half of your salary after all expenses
Every case is unique. You can't measure the result of your application based on arbitrary anecdotes online.

AsianGirl

Post by AsianGirl » Mon Feb 29, 2016 3:23 pm

Oombongo wrote:
Any why you want to wonder? Weighing a guy according to his wallet size? :mrgreen:[/quote]
The reason why I asked about how much money he makes with farming is because farming requires a lot of work so maybe he do something else.

AsianGirl

Post by AsianGirl » Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:29 am

roger_roger wrote:
AsianGirl wrote: The reason why I asked about how much money he makes with farming is because farming requires a lot of work so maybe he do something else.
You can always suggest for better profession and so, but what matters is what he likes/knows doing. There's money in every profession but people working in farm has interest in farming too. Isn't it great to make a living doing what you like most? instead of wandering what could bring more earnings?

Hey roger_roger..can you check out my other question I posted here and let me know your thoughts. Kitos!

Spirit of the Forest

Post by Spirit of the Forest » Tue Mar 08, 2016 4:26 pm

Beep_Boop wrote:Are you tripping, achi? That's more than 5000 shekel. You can get a nice small apartment in an acceptable area for 2000-2500 with utilities, and about 250-350 a week for very decent groceries.
If you work on a farm, you generally even can sleep there as many owners provide the facilities, so you'd end up with half of your salary after all expenses
Consider that I had to work 250 hours a month to get that kind of money. Many times I would work 29 days out of 30, or 30 out of 31.
On one occasion I worked 48 days in a row.
Saturdays, holidays, everything.

And in shifts. One day you wake up at 2am to go to work. The next day at 5. Then another day at 6. Then one day you come back early at around 12 at noon, then go back to work at 18:30 for the evening shift.