Need working practicing in restaurant?

Useful advice on jobs, careers and entrepreneurship in Finland. Find job postings, job information, work permits and more.
minigrace2001

Post by minigrace2001 » Wed Mar 02, 2016 7:32 pm

Hi,

Now in our restaurant need one intership people to help in the kitchen. If your are interested, pls call 0452782925. Note: for 3-6months, no paid salary.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Rosamunda

Re: Need working practicing in restaurant?

Post by Rosamunda » Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:20 pm

So what exactly are you offering in return?

Do you have a qualified chef who can give training and supervision? What kind of skill training can you offer?

My son did a few of these "internships" and was - more often that not - given no on-the-job training and very little supervision. He was give menial, routine tasks to do (eg washing salad) which did nothing to improve his culinary skills. Worse, the schools that are running these vocational programmes seem to know this and do very little to change the status quo. :evil:

Querfeldein

Post by Querfeldein » Thu Mar 03, 2016 7:18 am

The fact that you do not even name the restaurant makes me think you are well aware that you are at best operating in a legal grey zone. Let me fix that for you:

Singapura Ravintola, Ristipellotie 21, 00390 Helsinki

Do you provide insurance? Do you perform the required health checks? Do your interns have to hide under the sink when the inspection comes around, or do they simply sneak out of the back door? An unpaid, 3-6 months "internship" for kitchen help is exploitative, and (although this is speculation), probably also constitutes illegal employment.

To any potential "intern": I would consider what an unpaid internship in a place like this is really worth - do you expect an anonymous recommendation letter, too?

Rosamunda

Post by Rosamunda » Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:17 pm

Yes, and as long as companies have access to an inexhaustible supply of "internship", "workplacement" volunteers(!) they will never hire anyone with a permanent contract. It is even worse than zero-hours contracts, if that were possible. Some companies are blatantly milking the system.

Of course it's not all bad. Many companies - big and small - are conscientious and honest and do a great job in helping kids to develop their skills. But unfortunately exploitation is rife and with all the cuts in funding it is impossible for schools to monitor the situation. :evil: