Is it possible to get a job in Espoo area w/o knowin Finnish

Useful advice on jobs, careers and entrepreneurship in Finland. Find job postings, job information, work permits and more.
wolf80

Re: Is it possible to get a job in Espoo area w/o knowin Fin

Post by wolf80 » Sun Apr 17, 2016 6:47 pm

raysky wrote:
wolf80 wrote:
He is not talking about school, but membership and entrance fees for hobbies the children have. If your child is playing table tennis, ice-hockey, soccer or whatever you normally have to pay a membership fee for the club, and of course for all the equipment your child needs. And if it's a competitive sport also for travel arrangements to tournaments.
Do you happen to know how much are the memberships roughly per month?
I'm not much of a sports person myself, but not sure about my kids in future. In my home country, during my time, we don't play much sports other than schooling time under a subject called "physical education".
So I had not much idea about those sports membership stuffs, and how much the equipment actually cost.
I had to even learn swimming all by myself with some guidance from a close friend who already knows how to swim.
I can't even ride a bike...that's how much of an in-door person I am....occasionally play some futsal as the goalkeeper..and swim around in my own apartment's common swimming pool....hahaha rarely hit the gym like perhaps once per annum...

Are there public swimming pools in Finland? Is entrance fee required?
Well, that differs a lot between sports and activities. The kids will have physical education for free at school, and some after-school activities. But you have to pay for their equipment of course. And everything else they want to do, from sport clubs to piano lessons, you will have to pay yourself. There are public swimming pools (but how close depends on where you will live exactly) and you have to pay of course. There is the sea and there are lakes, they are for free.

But why is it so important how much it is anyway, do you base your coming to Finland on the exact amount your children will cost you here? With the high rents and the costly food that will be the least of your worries, compared to other countries.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

raysky

Post by raysky » Sun Apr 17, 2016 6:52 pm

wolf80 wrote:
raysky wrote:
wolf80 wrote:
He is not talking about school, but membership and entrance fees for hobbies the children have. If your child is playing table tennis, ice-hockey, soccer or whatever you normally have to pay a membership fee for the club, and of course for all the equipment your child needs. And if it's a competitive sport also for travel arrangements to tournaments.
Do you happen to know how much are the memberships roughly per month?
I'm not much of a sports person myself, but not sure about my kids in future. In my home country, during my time, we don't play much sports other than schooling time under a subject called "physical education".
So I had not much idea about those sports membership stuffs, and how much the equipment actually cost.
I had to even learn swimming all by myself with some guidance from a close friend who already knows how to swim.
I can't even ride a bike...that's how much of an in-door person I am....occasionally play some futsal as the goalkeeper..and swim around in my own apartment's common swimming pool....hahaha rarely hit the gym like perhaps once per annum...

Are there public swimming pools in Finland? Is entrance fee required?
Well, that differs a lot between sports and activities. The kids will have physical education for free at school, and some after-school activities. But you have to pay for their equipment of course. And everything else they want to do, from sport clubs to piano lessons, you will have to pay yourself. There are public swimming pools and you have to pay of course. There is the sea and there are lakes, they are for free.

But why is it so important how much it is anyway, do you base your coming to Finland on the exact amount your children will cost you here? With the high rents and the costly food that will be the least of your worries, compared to other countries.
yes, i'm doing a very detailed budgeting and research to see if the offered amount of net income is sufficient for me to raise my kids there.
I'm taking into consideration every aspects of expenditure, food, travel, school, insurance, internet, mobile, water, electricity, rent, car, purchasing of the everyday needs for hygiene and bodycare, i went to foodie.fi to get a rough figure, checked vuokraovi and etuovi also, as well as nettiauto, so far....and most of other things via google maps and google itself....if you have any other references it would be really helpful....thanks :)

wolf80

Post by wolf80 » Sun Apr 17, 2016 7:37 pm

raysky wrote:yes, i'm doing a very detailed budgeting and research to see if the offered amount of net income is sufficient for me to raise my kids there.
I'm taking into consideration every aspects of expenditure, food, travel, school, insurance, internet, mobile, water, electricity, rent, car, purchasing of the everyday needs for hygiene and bodycare, i went to foodie.fi to get a rough figure, checked vuokraovi and etuovi also, as well as nettiauto, so far....and most of other things via google maps and google itself....if you have any other references it would be really helpful....thanks :)
You are overthinking it, there are too any unknowns, especially with kids being little. With trying to count every bottle of shampoo and every package of coffee you might be much further off than by just taking overall estimated values. Then put several hundred Euro on top to compensate for unforeseeable cost and money to put aside. If your salary is close to that number (or you are still far under budget), then come here. If it's too close, then leave it.

Your biggest factor is the rent anyway.