Farming and agriculture

Useful advice on jobs, careers and entrepreneurship in Finland. Find job postings, job information, work permits and more.
Spirit of the Forest

Farming and agriculture

Post by Spirit of the Forest » Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:23 pm

Well, so far I couldn't find anything else, really, so I'm considering going back to farming.

Is there maybe like a national network of farmers who are seeking employees, through which I can apply?
I know that there's this thing where farm owners go on vacation in summer, and temporary employees come in to replace them.
But I heard that many of them can't actually find people to do the work, so they can't go on vacation.

If anybody knows anyone like that, particularly between Keski-Suomi and Lappi, please inform me.

Thanks.

P.S: I'm a Finnish citizen, and speak fluent English and Hebrew. I'm able to carry out basic conversations in Finnish as well, and am improving my language skills all the time.

Farming and agriculture

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

rinso

Re: Farming and agriculture

Post by rinso » Thu Apr 21, 2016 7:36 am

I know that there's this thing where farm owners go on vacation in summer, and temporary employees come in to replace them.
But I heard that many of them can't actually find people to do the work, so they can't go on vacation.
As far as I know this holiday replacement is coordinated through the local municipalities (at least in the area where I live).
In our area there are not enough people to fulfill all requests. But the people who are doing it still don't make enough money to sustain themselves.
And it's only for milking (2x 2hours/day). For other work the farmer has to plan his vacation around it.

Rosamunda

Post by Rosamunda » Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:49 am

If farmers want to take a holiday (assuming they can afford to take a holiday...) they would do it in the winter. The season is so short here, the arable farmers wouldn't take time off before the end of the growing season. Of course, dairy is different as it is not seasonal in the same way but the bigger dairy farms belong to cooperatives and I assume they sort things out for themselves.

But it is a growing sector ( :ochesey: ) and there are jobs - successful farms in Ostrobothnia are contributing to the buoyant economy in western Finland. Keep looking...

Or enrol on a farming/agriculture study programme and find a job through an internship. That seems to work well in other sectors (IT, hotel & tourism, engineering, business etc) so why not for farming?

Spirit of the Forest

Post by Spirit of the Forest » Thu Apr 21, 2016 11:53 am

If I could study something, I'd rather get into computer science and electrical engineering.
Thing is, I don't have a high school diploma.
But anyway, I also want to get a job, and I can't find a lot of things I could do without prior qualifications, so I thought about farming.

Right now I live in Uuusima.

Hämeen Hitain

Post by Hämeen Hitain » Thu Apr 21, 2016 4:28 pm

You do not need high school to study for maatalouslomittaja and seems easy to find study place and work.

Links in Finnish:

http://www.ammattinetti.fi/ammatit/deta ... i#Koulutus

http://www.lansi-savo.fi/uutiset/l%C3%A ... heti-61518

Spirit of the Forest

Post by Spirit of the Forest » Thu Apr 21, 2016 5:23 pm

Thanks. Tarkistan. Kiitos :)

Rosamunda

Post by Rosamunda » Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:01 pm

Spirit of the Forest wrote:
Right now I live in Uuusima.
Which part of Uusimaa? A lot of the farming communities along the south coast are Swedish speaking.

Spirit of the Forest

Post by Spirit of the Forest » Tue Apr 26, 2016 11:20 am

Rosamunda wrote: Which part of Uusimaa? A lot of the farming communities along the south coast are Swedish speaking.
Sorry for the late reply. I live in the Porvoo-Loviisa-Kotka area.