Job Search Questions

Useful advice on jobs, careers and entrepreneurship in Finland. Find job postings, job information, work permits and more.
mimibu

Job Search Questions

Post by mimibu » Thu May 05, 2016 11:29 pm

Hello,

I will be moving to Finland this summer to earn a master's degree. I am a french citizen, so I know that I may be able to work during my studies (should I find a job). But before I have a few questions about jobs and working in Finland.

1. what documents do I need to bring for when I get hired so that I can fill out the paperwork correctly? In america we need to bring a social security card and a form of i.d. in france there are a lot more documents needed, such as previous pay slips, etc. does anyone know what finland requires?

2. where can I search for jobs? I will either be living in Tampere or Helsinki, so are there websites that I can use, or agencies? Sadly, I don't speak Finnish, so I know finding a job is going to be very difficult, but it can't hurt to look around.

3. what kind of jobs hire english speakers? I am a teacher, I have been a nanny, and I speak french and english. Obviously someone who speaks Finnish is more marketable, but are there any stories of students working while studying without knowing much of the language?

Thank you for your help!!

Job Search Questions

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Beep_Boop

Re: Job Search Questions

Post by Beep_Boop » Fri May 06, 2016 11:06 am

Every single one of these questions is extensively answered all over the forum. Use the search functionality.
Every case is unique. You can't measure the result of your application based on arbitrary anecdotes online.

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Fri May 06, 2016 12:19 pm

mimibu wrote: 1. what documents do I need to bring for when I get hired so that I can fill out the paperwork correctly? In america we need to bring a social security card and a form of i.d. in france there are a lot more documents needed, such as previous pay slips, etc. does anyone know what finland requires?
Only a French id that proves your European citizenship is mandatory. During the first month you will want to provide a tax card so that they don't withhold 60% (most of you would get back later with tax returns).

mimibu

Post by mimibu » Sat May 07, 2016 2:40 am

betelgeuse wrote: Only a French id that proves your European citizenship is mandatory. During the first month you will want to provide a tax card so that they don't withhold 60% (most of you would get back later with tax returns).
What is a tax card? I have lived in the US the majority of my adult life, so I have never had to pay taxes in France? Is there any way to get it in Finland or will I be deducted 60% each time?

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Sat May 07, 2016 11:57 pm

roger_roger wrote: Visit the tax office once you have social security number and job in Finland, they'll sort it out for you.
There has not been a social security number in Finland since the 70s. It's called a personal identity code and the distinction is important. You can have a personal identity code without ever being covered by Finnish social security system.

cors187

Post by cors187 » Sun May 08, 2016 6:29 pm

mimibu wrote:Hello,

I will be moving to Finland this summer to earn a master's degree. I am a french citizen, so I know that I may be able to work during my studies (should I find a job). But before I have a few questions about jobs and working in Finland.

1. what documents do I need to bring for when I get hired so that I can fill out the paperwork correctly? In america we need to bring a social security card and a form of i.d. in france there are a lot more documents needed, such as previous pay slips, etc. does anyone know what finland requires?

2. where can I search for jobs? I will either be living in Tampere or Helsinki, so are there websites that I can use, or agencies? Sadly, I don't speak Finnish, so I know finding a job is going to be very difficult, but it can't hurt to look around.

3. what kind of jobs hire english speakers? I am a teacher, I have been a nanny, and I speak french and english. Obviously someone who speaks Finnish is more marketable, but are there any stories of students working while studying without knowing much of the language?

Thank you for your help!!
1. Your ID
2. finland has the most extensive link looping , link farm info available .
3. Finnish hide behind the facts, if you can prove that you can put money in their pocket, all other facts seem to disappear. Anyone one who hunts jobs with this fact in mind often gets started and keeps moving forward. In other words . theres enough local retards who dont make any contribution to the companies, if your an imported retard , they will by pass you for a local retard.

Upphew

Post by Upphew » Tue May 10, 2016 3:23 pm

cors187 wrote:theres enough local retards who dont make any contribution to the companies, if your an imported retard , they will by pass you for a local retard.
:thumbsup:
http://google.com http://translate.google.com http://urbandictionary.com
Visa is for visiting, Residence Permit for residing.