How many hours per week can I work in Finland?

Useful advice on jobs, careers and entrepreneurship in Finland. Find job postings, job information, work permits and more.
lkpro91

Post by lkpro91 » Fri Jul 01, 2016 2:30 pm

I am about to get my Master degree soon so I understand that I will be no longer restricted to work only 25 hrs per week.
My question is: how many hours can I work per week in Finland? Are 37.5 hours/week always the maximum number of hours you can work here?
If not, am I allowed to take 2 jobs (one full-time and one part-time) at the same time (~50 hrs/week in total)? :)

Cheers,

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Beep_Boop

Re: How many hours per week can I work in Finland?

Post by Beep_Boop » Fri Jul 01, 2016 3:15 pm

lkpro91 wrote:My question is: how many hours can I work per week in Finland? Are 37.5 hours/week always the maximum number of hours you can work here?
Practically speaking, there isn't really a maximum that you can voluntarily work. I don't know the exact maximum, but employers shouldn't force their employees to work above that. In my experience, I've done about 250 hours/month (62/week) and there weren't any issues.
lkpro91 wrote:am I allowed to take 2 jobs (one full-time and one part-time) at the same time (~50 hrs/week in total)?
Yes. Especially that you don't have market restrictions after you get the degree from Finland.
Every case is unique. You can't measure the result of your application based on arbitrary anecdotes online.

Beep_Boop

Post by Beep_Boop » Fri Jul 01, 2016 5:58 pm

roger_roger wrote: but after just a month I realized how hard it is to survive in Finland with just one job. Even though the salary looks good on paper the one you receive is only 2/3rd of it (sometimes even less) and on the other hand the living standard is so high and things are sooo expensive it is impossible to survive without extra income.
This sounds very interesting. I'd love to hear your take on the matter.

Is this a case of employer underpaying you? As far as I know, you work in IT and you're, so it sounds odd to hear it's impossible to survive on one salary.
Every case is unique. You can't measure the result of your application based on arbitrary anecdotes online.

Flossy1978

Post by Flossy1978 » Fri Jul 01, 2016 6:53 pm

Maybe that Roger poster lives beyond his means?

I use to work in Finland. I was divorced with a child, on a lower than average wage. Got only minimum child support. Had a car. I also rented and paid all my bills. I lived in Nurmijärvi. So no cheaper than the capital area. Especially since I had to drive everywhere. So probably ended up being more expensive.

I managed on one income, from one job. Without any extra assistance. Like people who somehow get the social service office to give heaps of stuff. I paid my bills every month.

One should look at what they are spending if they can't survive month to month on one income. My income really was one of the lower incomes. About 2300€ a month before taxes. I think I got about 1700€ after taxes. If I remember correctly. Add to that child support and family benefit. So it came to 2000€ a month.

wolf80

Post by wolf80 » Sat Jul 02, 2016 1:11 pm

roger_roger wrote: -600 car instalment
Well, here's the problem, paying 600 Euro for your car instalments a month. Get a cheaper car if you don't have enough money!

lkpro91

Post by lkpro91 » Sat Jul 02, 2016 3:25 pm

Thank you all for the replies. I think I have the answers for my questions already. That's awesome :D

@Roger: Flossy is probably not wrong. I've met many people with the salary 2k-2.5k and they are still doing ok here and have good saving for other things. Driving a less expensive car (or don't have one), sharing the apartment with friends/partners, etc. are the common things they all do. One thing I do agree with you is that while we are young, we should work as much as we can. Of course, there is no need to work 80 hrs/week then to be burnt out, but only 37.5 hrs seem too little to me. Ugh, but the tax here is truly the pain ... :)

Flossy1978

Post by Flossy1978 » Sat Jul 02, 2016 5:09 pm

Yeah. A 600 euro a month car? That is clearly above your means. Why do you need to spend so much? To keep up with all the other posh Audi drivers there?

If your kids are in daycare, what is your partner doing then? If they are studying, can't they get study money? Unemployed? Should be getting unemployment money.

Where are you travelling to spend so much on fuel? If it is to work and you don't have means to use public transport, you should be getting a tax break on travelling to and from work.

Beep_Boop

Post by Beep_Boop » Sat Jul 02, 2016 8:02 pm

@roger_roger Yeah I guess now I understand. Thank you for explaining. Since I don't have a car or kids, now I can see the spending difference in your case. I guess that explains the need for a second job.
Good luck, man

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Sat Jul 02, 2016 8:22 pm

Flossy1978 wrote:Yeah. A 600 euro a month car? That is clearly above your means. Why do you need to spend so much? To keep up with all the other posh Audi drivers there?
The thing with car loans is that due to depreciation I don't think they allow you long loan periods. For example a five year loan period with 1% only gives you a loan of 35k (you will most likely pay more interest). This is hardly a high end price so I don't think that is the issue here.
roger_roger wrote: Lets do simple calculations with a standard pay in IT in Helsinki i.e 4k.

4000 Salary
-1200 (30% of salary for Dame's coffers)
-600 car instalment
-200 fuel and surcharge
-1300 rent, water and electricity
-500 kids daycare

200 left for food and whatever you want to spend on. Ah, there's still phone instalment and bills that keeps on popping.
Info on the mother would be relevant but let's assume she is out of the picture because nothing related to her shows up in the numbers. This means you would get child benefits for 201,55€ euros. Depending on the status of the mother other benefits can also be available. There's no way around it that in Finland with kids and single income it's hard to have any money for extras if you can't/won't give up the car.

Flossy1978

Post by Flossy1978 » Sun Jul 03, 2016 1:37 am

Shouldn't you be receiving more than 200 euros a month for two kids? I thought the second child gets 130 euros or more?

So you didn't write you get the student money, plus the child money, that's 500 euros more than you admitted, a month. Plus, your wife could get those very cheap student loans from the bank. They have something like a 1% pay back amount.

Anyway, it doesn't matter.

I knew friends at work who use to have cars and they didn't pay 600 euros a month. I actually found car insurance cheap there in Finland. It was great!

I use to have to pay the full price for day care for my child. Even as a single parent with less than average monthly salary. I paid more than you did. I believe I was paying 280 euros a month and that was more than 6 years ago. I think it was going up to 300 euros at the time my son stopped going fulltime. God knows how much it would cost now.

As for the travelling bonus from the Government. It can be quite a lot! I always got the maximum possible money back in taxes because of it. I can't remember how much it was (maybe over 3000 euros?), but it took a good chunk off my pre-tax income. So when you do your taxes, pay close attention to it. Write why you need a car, and usually, if you are living out in the sticks, you'll get the full amount.

Take all your bills and how your money is spent and info about your situation, to the Social Services office, or even to the church (they also have a social worker type of person there, who can help). If you show you are having a tough time, they can pay a bill or two for you, to give you some respite. They can even give you vouchers for food shopping etc. They can also give you help for paying for your children's activities. Don't be ashamed to go. The Government is there to help you. You can get some help with buying winter clothing for your kids, sports or any other things like this helped. You can't turn up every month asking for a handout, but if you are in a tough situation, they can and are usually willing to help. After all, they help drunks and druggies all the time.

There was this show on the telly years ago about families having babies, in Finland. There was this real loser couple (they really were. They refused to work, just kept popping out babies and basically blaming everyone else, except for their ability to keep their pants on). They use to get the Social Services to buy all kinds of stuff for them. They managed to arm strong the Government into buying them a huge brand new washing machine and they were proudly boasting about it in the show. So I don't think you should feel shame or anything about going and getting some help. It is why you pay taxes after all.

And if your wife studies, she has the right to apply for student housing for families, I believe. Maybe it is a two bedroom flat, but sure as hell it would be much cheaper than what you are paying now. And if your children are in day care, they are young enough to share a room. Lots of Finnish children of different sexes (if yours are) share bedrooms for a long time, compared to countries like America, England, Australia etc.

There are things you can do, other than wearing yourself out doing two jobs and never spending time with your family (your children are only young once). Lots of families have less income than you, with more kids and manage to survive, even with one or two cars. So there is no reason for you to work yourself to death (hugs).

Good luck!

akramoanh

Post by akramoanh » Sun Jul 03, 2016 11:36 am

hi to everyone :) im interesting about this topic . hmmmmmmm
lets see :) . for my experience about work and expenses and income and others things .
I was working in my country about three jobs , one in hospital worked IT Support from 8 am up to 4 pm and second in shop worked as Salesman from 5 pm to 11pm and third worked in restaurant just account the income and expenses its just 2 times a week I go there its takes me like 2 hours to calculate all .its was amazing for me cause I love work , and there is no any tax in my country . then when I came to Finland to live with my wife I found out the life its really not easy . a lots of things I have to be carefully for what I do and buy and rent and many things . like what our friend said ( roger_roger ) .
now about here I can tell that's you have to be careful with spending money . and better if you and your wife working cause its will be shared the expenses and then you can buy your dream staff , but If you work alone its really hard what ever your salary . but I know one thing those who have high salary you should know also the expenses are high too ,that's why im saying you have to be careful how to spend money and what to buy . believe me the best way that make for you goal to have own business even if it small restaurant or shop or what ever . it will be additional income beside ur main work .
and good luck for all of you .

akramoanh

Post by akramoanh » Mon Jul 04, 2016 9:53 am

yeah i understand you bro . this satiation in Finland and Europe mostly its kind of hard to live in if you work alone and you have a family , for me after i look at the whole pic i found out the better way to survive and good plane is if both couple are working then everything's going to be shared , and if i want buy car new or second hand or staff in home i prefer to buy it in cash . like what we doing me and my wife .
cause i know the monthly installment payments its will break my back .so i really recommended if someone have a good income try buy your things in cash as you can , cause the monthly installment payments its will make your life so uncomfortable .that's all what i can advice .

Flossy1978

Post by Flossy1978 » Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:08 am

I don't believe that people need to have two jobs to survive in Finland. I survived alright on my low income. We ate out once in a while and took small holidays once in awhile. We just lived in our means.

My friend studied and work only casually and survived. She didn't eat out heaps. Didn't waste money on booze and whatnot. She paid her bills, etc.

You just need to prioritise what is important to you.

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Tue Jul 05, 2016 7:12 pm

roger_roger wrote: Lets assume the partner is student, 248 euros after tax per month additional to my kingdom. yey !!! and 55 goes for her bus ticket only. No calculations about lunch and coffee pulla during studies.
If the only income is student financial aid, there's no tax due. Considering that Kela pays back 40% of student loans when you graduate in expected time, in your situation it's pretty clear they make sense. After this the financial situation of the household is not really so bleak any more.

http://www.kela.fi/web/en/student-loan- ... nd-payment
roger_roger wrote: I bought the car when I had enough money and working at 2 places as Engineer and earning good money I think I deserve a good car. Take a look around the prices of new car these days and don't get fooled by the basic price, the additional gadgets are expensive. Being a man of 21st century people wants good gadgets to drive with, so do I. You don't get Land Rover or Maserati or Lexus of 600 a month in Finland. Go see the price range of normal family passenger car, live in reality.
Buying a new vs. old car does not make financial sense. You do admit yourself that part of the 600 can be attribute as a perk instead of necessity. Personally I find cars a waste of money for what you are getting as I don't have kids. I have never bought one but can understand the utility value that comes with used cars. Any way we can summarize that with a 4k employee and student it's not a question of whether it's possible to meet mandatory expenses but how much money there's to splurge.