Promotion troubles.

Useful advice on jobs, careers and entrepreneurship in Finland. Find job postings, job information, work permits and more.
rapses

Promotion troubles.

Post by rapses » Sat Sep 17, 2016 2:00 am

I came to Finland as a student and was lucky enough to land a job in McDonald's very early. I have been working in McD for last 8 years, but was never promoted or even asked whether I would like to be trainer or shift manager. Even our restaurant manager joined two years after me. Every new comer supersedes me sooner or later. I feel really depressed about it. I have worked longer and better than others and still I am where I started. Do I have right to ask for promotion?

Promotion troubles.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

rinso

Re: Promotion troubles.

Post by rinso » Sat Sep 17, 2016 7:12 am

rapses wrote:I came to Finland as a student and was lucky enough to land a job in McDonald's very early. I have been working in McD for last 8 years, but was never promoted or even asked whether I would like to be trainer or shift manager. Even our restaurant manager joined two years after me. Every new comer supersedes me sooner or later. I feel really depressed about it. I have worked longer and better than others and still I am where I started. Do I have right to ask for promotion?
Of course you can always ask. Whether you get it or not is a different question.
At least it is good to talk to your boss and ask why you were never considered for promotion. Then you know what he thinks of you and where you have to improve.

Beep_Boop

Post by Beep_Boop » Sat Sep 17, 2016 4:59 pm

roger_roger wrote:As a foreigner you'll never get promotion in Finnish company.
Not true. Yes, you'll probably have to work 2x as much a Finn of similar skills and knowledge, but saying "never" isn't correct.
Every case is unique. You can't measure the result of your application based on arbitrary anecdotes online.

leisl

Post by leisl » Sun Sep 18, 2016 10:55 am

I'm with Beep_Boop. It's simply not true that you'll always be passed over. It's very true that you might be at a disadvantage though.

Consider these things: is your Finnish excellent? Including your written Finnish?
Do you show initiative at work? (Are you seeing problems and considering/suggesting ways to solve them? Are you seeing things that need to be done and making sure the managers see you do these things, without being asked?)
Are you actively demonstrating your ability to work as part of a team? (This is not merely a case of "I work in a team so of course I am" but more "working cooperatively with people beyond your job description".)
Do you command respect from your co-workers and are you the one who always offers to help with new hires?

Promotion, despite the rumours, has nothing to do with how long you've been around. That sort of thing only happens in the US army ;)

You need to market yourself as the number one choice for supervisor. It seems to me that perhaps you haven't, and just hoped it would happen naturally. And yes, you can talk to your manager, but don't simply ask "why not me?", present to him/her that you would like an opportunity to use your skills and be prepared to explain what they are (see above). An employee looking to improve themselves, move up, and help the company is a good thing. An employee depressed and asking why they didn't get a promotion is bad. Understand the difference? :)

PS. Do not lie to get yourself a new job at a different fast food place, because you can bet that a competitor will call your current employer and ask if it's all true - obviously they would wonder why you won't just move up your current company and why you would move to the same type of workplace elsewhere!

rapses

Post by rapses » Mon Sep 19, 2016 12:51 am

Thanks folks for your opinion on my predicament. I have two Master's degrees and do not consider McD as career of my preferred choice: My relationship with work mates and supervisors is pretty good and I get good !"#¤% so I do not think my work in not the problem. My Finnish is not really great but its okay. I did not move to any other fast food company because it is nearer to my residence and the devil you know is better that one you don't. It is not about money either because a promotion does not bring much increment. It hurts mentally to see those who joined just one-and half years before promoted over you.

Flossy1978

Post by Flossy1978 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 4:30 am

I think instead of outright asking for a promotion, that you ask for a private meeting the person who does the promoting. Just talk to them about how you could be promoted, not why you haven't been. I am sure a friendly down to earth chat could get the ball rolling. Good luck!

leisl

Post by leisl » Mon Sep 19, 2016 6:20 am

rapses wrote:Thanks folks for your opinion on my predicament. I have two Master's degrees and do not consider McD as career of my preferred choice: My relationship with work mates and supervisors is pretty good and I get good !"#¤% so I do not think my work in not the problem. My Finnish is not really great but its okay.
I know it's tough... but you need to crack on to improving that Finnish.

It is an absolute waste for someone so highly-educated to be aspiring to become a McDonalds shift supervisor.

In the meantime, concentrate on applying for entry-level jobs in the fields that your two MAs are. Leave the two masters OFF your application / CV and list only your BA-level education. Once you have even a vaguely-related position to your education, it will be far, far easier to move up into something that reflects your skill levels. (That is to say... not "easy", but much more likely than getting there straight from a McDonalds job.)

rinso

Post by rinso » Mon Sep 19, 2016 7:23 am

leisl wrote:
rapses wrote: I have two Master's degrees and do not consider McD as career of my preferred choice:
It is an absolute waste for someone so highly-educated to be aspiring to become a McDonalds shift supervisor.
This is probably the reason you will not be promoted. Working so far below your education level means you'll be gone the first chance you*ll get. No use to promote someone who will leave.

rapses

Post by rapses » Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:11 am

I would like to thank you all for your advise. I had an informal light conversation with restaurant manager over a drink :beer_yum: She explained that our regional manager believes that I will not stick to career in McD, therefore they do not want to waster resources in training me for supervisor position :thumbsdown:

leisl

Post by leisl » Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:35 pm

rapses wrote:I would like to thank you all for your advise. I had an informal light conversation with restaurant manager over a drink :beer_yum: She explained that our regional manager believes that I will not stick to career in McD, therefore they do not want to waster resources in training me for supervisor position :thumbsdown:
So what you're saying is, they knew your career aspirations lay elsewhere before you did... :lol:

You've just been given another excellent piece of motivation for moving out and upwards. Use it :thumbsup:

rapses

Post by rapses » Wed Sep 21, 2016 12:42 am

roger_roger wrote: couldn't agree more.
but wait, where are your master degree from?

Its good to work for money when you don't have it, but having 2 degrees is waste of time in itself... okay you already wasted your time studying another degree, no problem, but even after having 2 degrees in different field didn't lead you towards finding decent job in your niche then your career decisions were either wrong or you were collecting degrees just for the sake of it.
I have one Masters degree from my home country and the second one I got from Finland. You are actually quite right that I wasted my time studying for another degree as it did not lead to a decent job in my niche. I had a pretty decent job in my home country. I certainly have a buyer's remorse about coming to Finland to study and starting a career here.

rinso

Post by rinso » Wed Sep 21, 2016 6:58 am

I had a pretty decent job in my home country. I certainly have a buyer's remorse about coming to Finland to study and starting a career here.
This is unfortunately something that happens more often and many of us try to warn against it. But very few people tell their unsuccessful stories so others keep on looking through rose coloured glasses.

rapses

Post by rapses » Wed Sep 21, 2016 1:06 pm

rinso wrote:This is unfortunately something that happens more often and many of us try to warn against it. But very few people tell their unsuccessful stories so others keep on looking through rose coloured glasses.
Despite all this, I still have to consider myself lucky because at least I have a job which is regulated by collective labor agreement. Those working in ethnic restaurant and pizzerias are badly exploited by their employers.