Stage / Theater jobs in Helsinki

Useful advice on jobs, careers and entrepreneurship in Finland. Find job postings, job information, work permits and more.
Ninabice

Post by Ninabice » Sun Nov 13, 2016 12:51 am

Hello,
I am moving to Helsinki this summer (May or June) and I am looking for jobs in the theater industry.
I recognize that it will be very difficult without knowing Finnish-- I am working hard to learn as much as possible before the move.
I will have completed three years of a bachelor's of fine art in performance production from Seattle, Washington in the US when I move, and I've been working as a stagehand here for a couple years. Before that I lived and worked as a stage manager in a different state. I have artistic skills and could be an assistant to a scenographer, but I image I'll have to start more basic. I have stage carpentry skills and experience with theatrical lighting and with rigging.

I've been having trouble navigating the websites of theaters in Helsinki since I'm working through google translate. I don't want to contact and annoy the wrong person. Any advice? Obviously the ideal situation is to get hired ahead of time so I can get a residence permit based on employment, but I understand that employers may not want to deal with that. Maybe there are other jobs with related skills such as construction?

Thanks.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic