Questions about business in Finland please

Useful advice on jobs, careers and entrepreneurship in Finland. Find job postings, job information, work permits and more.
WithUs

Post by WithUs » Thu Nov 17, 2016 3:05 pm

We are Canadian business college students working on a project and we are looking to gather more information about day-to-day business activities and cultures in Finland. We would need an individual (or two) to answer some short questions through either skype, email or Facebook; whatever is easiest for you! Please reply if you would be interested in helping us out with our project. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

wolf80

Re: Questions about business in Finland please

Post by wolf80 » Thu Nov 17, 2016 8:59 pm

Can you tell a bit more precisely what you need to know?

WithUs

Post by WithUs » Fri Nov 25, 2016 4:00 pm

wolf80 wrote:Can you tell a bit more precisely what you need to know?
Thank you for the response, it's a huge help for my group's project we are working on for college. If you are not comfortable posting your response on the forum, just let me know and I can provide you with my email.
Here are the questions that we are asking to find out more about business in Finland:

1) What is your career?

2) How long have you worked for your current company?

3) Does your company value a work/life balance? If so, how?

4) Are there any hand gestures or body language that is considered rude or obscene in Finland, but may be common in Canada?

5) How would someone set up a business meeting?

6) Is it customary to conduct a meeting over a meal, or to simply have refreshments available in an office setting?

7) What are some Finnish business customs that you have experiences that may not be well known around the world?

8) Do you know anyone who has moved from another country to work in Finland?
1) If so: what did they find either challenging or rewarding about the move?

9) What is your standard work schedule?

10) Is competitiveness or cooperation more prized?

11) Is politeness more important than honestly stating facts?

12) What is appropriate business attire for men? For women??

13) Name three obstacles that you think might challenge a Canadian when moving to Finland for business.
1)
2)
3)

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Fri Nov 25, 2016 6:09 pm

WithUs wrote: 4) Are there any hand gestures or body language that is considered rude or obscene in Finland, but may be common in Canada?

13) Name three obstacles that you think might challenge a Canadian when moving to Finland for business.
Unless you want people guessing, this implies you need to have people answering your survey with lengthy residences both in Canada and Finland. How would a Finn know about gestures and body language in Canada?

Pursuivant

Post by Pursuivant » Sun Nov 27, 2016 4:59 pm

"By the pricking of my thumbs,
Something wicked this way comes."

WithUs

Post by WithUs » Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:08 pm

Thank you for the link! My group previously reviewed this page and taken information from it for our report but we are in need of survey results from real people from Finland to add to our primary research for this project.

WithUs

Post by WithUs » Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:09 pm

betelgeuse wrote:
WithUs wrote: 4) Are there any hand gestures or body language that is considered rude or obscene in Finland, but may be common in Canada?

Unless you want people guessing, this implies you need to have people answering your survey with lengthy residences both in Canada and Finland. How would a Finn know about gestures and body language in Canada?
Thanks for the suggestions! If there are any questions you do not agree with when filling out the survey then feel free to skip them.