Nordea Bank asking for my freelancer contracts

Useful advice on jobs, careers and entrepreneurship in Finland. Find job postings, job information, work permits and more.
Mrs Adnan

Post by Mrs Adnan » Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:36 pm

Hello everyone!

I am not sure this has been asked before as well, because I tried to search through forum and could not find what I was looking for.

I am working as a free lancer for past one year now and also paying taxes. I was contacted by Nordea bank to come to bank so they can update my info. When I went, unfortunately her computer was not working and she asked me some general questions about my work and said she will call me later if needed.
She called me last week and asked me if I have contracts for the work I do. I do not have proper contracts since these are free lancing jobs, employers contact and we agree to work on a project and this is how it works out.

Any ways, she emailed me today saying she needs proof of origin of my income so I need to send my email conversations with my employers to her to do that.

I am fine in sending those conversations as I have been earning legitimately and paying taxes as well, but is it not a bit weird to ask for email conversations between me and my employers?
Or is it fine? Should I ask my current employers to give me some kind of contract instead of sending my emails to bank?

About myself: I am working in the field of digital marketing. I am originally from Pakistan but living in Finland since 2011. I also have residence permit while my kids and husband have Finnish citizenship.

Thank you in advance.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

betelgeuse

Re: Nordea Bank asking for my freelancer contracts

Post by betelgeuse » Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:48 pm

Mrs Adnan wrote: Any ways, she emailed me today saying she needs proof of origin of my income so I need to send my email conversations with my employers to her to do that.

I am fine in sending those conversations as I have been earning legitimately and paying taxes as well, but is it not a bit weird to ask for email conversations between me and my employers?
Or is it fine? Should I ask my current employers to give me some kind of contract instead of sending my emails to bank?
Freelancing within Finland has the special meaning of working with a special tax card. This would leave you the paper trail as for any other employment relations. My guess would be that you use it in the sense of being a sole trader. In this case you are required to follow the accounting act and have the proper paper trail per transaction. Usually this would be the invoice to the customer. These invoices can be submitted to the bank since they match the payments in.

Upphew

Post by Upphew » Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:05 pm

roger_roger wrote:Just ignore their call, you'll be fine.
Bold. There are at least some Russians whose account have been terminated, at least here in South Karelia region. They might not be think that they'll be fine.
http://google.com http://translate.google.com http://urbandictionary.com
Visa is for visiting, Residence Permit for residing.

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:00 pm

roger_roger wrote:That's the job of border and homeland security aka police, who have given rights for Nordea to be Police? They're just bullying you.
The European Union parliament and the national parliament when they passed money laundering prevention laws putting these requirements on the banks. We can argue about the effectiveness and the way they go about it but the banks are required to collect the information.

adam7

Post by adam7 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 4:46 pm

As noted, the banks are required to know their customers and where the money comes from.

Ideally they would like to see contracts, but if you don't have written ones, I would offer copies of invoices or other documents that prove where the money comes from. They don't have a right to get anything from one, but if one doesn't furnish them with some documentation, one might find oneself without the banking service of that particular bank.

MC Deli

Post by MC Deli » Fri Feb 10, 2017 3:26 pm

Mrs Adnan wrote:Hello everyone!

I am not sure this has been asked before as well, because I tried to search through forum and could not find what I was looking for.

I am working as a free lancer for past one year now and also paying taxes. I was contacted by Nordea bank to come to bank so they can update my info. When I went, unfortunately her computer was not working and she asked me some general questions about my work and said she will call me later if needed.
She called me last week and asked me if I have contracts for the work I do. I do not have proper contracts since these are free lancing jobs, employers contact and we agree to work on a project and this is how it works out.

Any ways, she emailed me today saying she needs proof of origin of my income so I need to send my email conversations with my employers to her to do that.

About myself: I am working in the field of digital marketing. I am originally from Pakistan but living in Finland since 2011. I also have residence permit while my kids and husband have Finnish citizenship.

Thank you in advance.
It reads like a phishing scam. Be careful. What was the domain on the email - if it wasn't @nordea.fi/se/com then you can be pretty sure someone is attempting to scam you.
I have been freelance for 6 years. Nordea has never asked to see a contract or invoice. They like to see money ;)

Mrs Adnan

Post by Mrs Adnan » Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:21 pm

roger_roger wrote: whose idea was it to send or ask the email conversations? whosever it is, it is pathetic in itself. How can anybody who is not a part of law in itself ask for conversations between two individuals? If that was your idea to submit the conversation then stop and ask your employer. Ask them to provide some sort of written proof that you work for them if you need to submit it to bank.
It was her idea of course :) that is why I posted here asking for help as the request from her did seem weird. That is exactly my point that why she is asking for email conversations between two people.

roger_roger wrote: This is their greatest fishing scam, calling to update the info even after having all info... Didn't they have your PIN, Address, Bank Info, etc before you went there? what info they want to update? If you are legal in the country or not? That's the job of border and homeland security aka police, who have given rights for Nordea to be Police? They're just bullying you. I have received more than 10 threats in last 2-3 years from them, saying if I do not come to bank to update my info they'll close my account, I always reply them with middle finger :lol: :lol: :lol: Still my account have been running smoothly as ever and I already have S bank account and BankNorwegian credit card as ready-made replacement if they close my account, but they've never done that in last 3 years or so.

Just ignore their call, you'll be fine.
Not sure it is a scam or not :) because she said that I came to update my info when I came to Finland in 2011 and have not visited bank since then!

Any ways, I suggested to her that I will ask my employers to send me contracts with the info she needs and she agreed to that. I just hope that this is all they need. Thanks for your help :) I am sorry for late reply. I did not check my post

Mrs Adnan

Post by Mrs Adnan » Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:27 pm

MC Deli wrote: It reads like a phishing scam. Be careful. What was the domain on the email - if it wasn't @nordea.fi/se/com then you can be pretty sure someone is attempting to scam you.
I have been freelance for 6 years. Nordea has never asked to see a contract or invoice. They like to see money ;)
This is not scam lol

I went to the bank actually like I mentioned in my post :) And her computer was not working and later she called and asked for email conversations. And further messages between me and her and done through net bank of Nordea so I am pretty sure she is not a scam :lol:

Not sure why they did not ask you and asked me :) But thanks for your reply!

Mrs Adnan

Post by Mrs Adnan » Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:29 pm

adam7 wrote:As noted, the banks are required to know their customers and where the money comes from.

Ideally they would like to see contracts, but if you don't have written ones, I would offer copies of invoices or other documents that prove where the money comes from. They don't have a right to get anything from one, but if one doesn't furnish them with some documentation, one might find oneself without the banking service of that particular bank.

Thank you for your reply :) Yes I suggested to her that I would prefer to send contracts if she needs instead of my email conversations and I can ask my employers to make contracts for me with the info she needs and she agreed :)

I just hope this is all they need.

anonfinn

Post by anonfinn » Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:40 am

deleted
Last edited by anonfinn on Sat Jun 09, 2018 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mrs Adnan

Post by Mrs Adnan » Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:08 pm

anonfinn wrote:
Mrs Adnan wrote:Hello everyone!

Thank you in advance.
It's a legal requirement for the bank to know their customer and where the customers income is coming from. You could just as well be laundering money and selling drugs. They have a legal requirement to know this. Things like contracts and bills are done formally in Finland, so it's surprising that you have no paper trail for the work you've done. Are you agreeing jobs by text message?!? I'm not a banker but I would want more proof also if I was the person you spoke to.

i would ignore roger's advice - he has 1000s of posts on here to show that he just has some specific gripe with Finland. But it's nothing to do with being foreign - Finnish people also have to prove to the bank that the money they are putting in the bank are from legitimate sources.
Thank you for your reply but I have mentioned before as well that I am a freelancer and we do not have formal contracts like others. She did not ask for invoices, else I would have gladly sent her those as well. Also from my interactions with her, I figured out that she actually wants to know more than having invoices, what work I am doing, how many hours I work, the nature of my work etc so I have provided her with proper contracts now with all the details she needed.

Yes, I am sure that I am not being asked merely for being a foreigner, this is all part of process and I have no problem in submitting requested info. But sending email conversations between 2 people was a bit odd to ask so my questions was directed at that aspect only.

Thanks