Moving Without a Job

Useful advice on jobs, careers and entrepreneurship in Finland. Find job postings, job information, work permits and more.
rinso

Re: Moving Without a Job

Post by rinso » Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:36 am

lunamud wrote:My fiance is Finnish and we are planning to be married this summer. I live in the US and do not yet speak Finnish. Currently, I work as a clinical instructor at a university supervising student teacher candidates. I also used to teach elementary school children here and I have some background as a ceramics artist. I am very apprehensive about the idea of moving to Finland without a job, especially considering I do not speak the language. Moving would be a huge sacrifice and challenge for either of us, but it's looking more and more like I may be the one making that sacrifice. I would love to hear any advice or experiences people can share that may have been in a similar situation. Am I doomed to be jobless? What are my options?
A foreigner who doesn't speak the language and and has no in high demand (niche) skill will find it very difficult to find a job. Often they end up jobless or in low paying grunt jobs (cleaning, newspaper delivery and so on). You have to realize that for the employer you are at the bottom of the pile.
One option is to start studying here. You learn the language, get contacts and a Finnish degree increases your chances.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Rosamunda

Post by Rosamunda » Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:24 am

rinso wrote: One option is to start studying here. You learn the language, get contacts and a Finnish degree increases your chances.
Probably the only realistic option, but it isn't free anymore if you are a non-EU applicant. There is definitely a demand for assistants in pre-school daycare and also in geriatric care and mental health - but you would have to ramp up your Finnish pretty quickly. (Or Swedish depending on where you plan to live).

expatnewbie

Post by expatnewbie » Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:32 pm

You have to prioritize learning the language. I really see it as the best way to help you. The only other way to get around it based on my own family's experience is finding a US or English peaking company that has a base in Finland. My husband's company has a base in Finland and thus, he still able to thrive. But as someone previously said, there are many people on this site and in the area in general who teach foreigners the language. I have been trying to do it on my own, but I probably need to get an instructor as well.

rinso

Post by rinso » Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:16 am

I also thought there might be a chance I could teach at English immersion school.
Difficult to find. Besides it will probably not pay enough to get you a residence permit.

anonfinn

Post by anonfinn » Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:29 am

deleted