Dealing with Finnish Recruiters Behaviour Towards Foreigners

Useful advice on jobs, careers and entrepreneurship in Finland. Find job postings, job information, work permits and more.
suomii

Post by suomii » Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:38 am

I have been searching for a cleaning job or a dishwashing job at a work restaurant for a very long time for about last three years. Around last september I heard from my close friend directly that there is a dishwasher job at a private recruitment agency in my city and they couldn't find someone. I called the recruiter person directly and as usual nobody answered my phone. I repeated calling for about two weeks. Nobody answered my calls. Later I learned that Finnish recruiters only answer messages but never turn on their phones. Later I messaged her and told about my interest in the job. She just asked me if I have some special clothing for the job. Even I have cleaning job experience I have never used a speacial job clothing. She said this is needed for this job and I told her that I can buy it if needed. After that day she stopped answering my messages again even I asked about the starting date and details. This is not the first time I am experiencing this type of weird behaviour from a Finnish recruiter. What is causing this terrible service? Is this racism or having too many potential workers so that not caring about them as humanbeings? I even have experience in cleaning.I want to know if they are behaving in the same way to Finns also. I have a Finnish look, I am not a refugee and nothing is foreign looking other than my name. I started to think that this is pure racism. I see these terrible recruitment services as unacceptable. This even caused me to lose my hope in finding a job in Finland. I want to hear suggestion of Finns on how to find a job easily in Finland and what are their ways. Thank you.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Flossy1978

Re: Dealing with Finnish Recruiters Behaviour Towards Foreig

Post by Flossy1978 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:30 pm

Race has to do with colour.

Why do foreigners always blame racism?

Don't you think it is to do with the fact there are many people out of work. Many people have probably texted the recruiter and she has taken someone else.

If you have a non-Finnish name, they will presume you do not know Finnish and know you'll be a lot more work involved, than just using a Finnish person. So, they will always choose a Finnish person, over a foreigner. It isn't racism. It is just common sense for a recruiter to use the easier option. Especially for a mundane bottom of the list dishwasher job.

It is what it is.

rinso

Post by rinso » Fri Feb 03, 2017 6:42 pm

She just asked me if I have some special clothing for the job. Even I have cleaning job experience I have never used a speacial job clothing. She said this is needed for this job and I told her that I can buy it if needed.
Something is missing here, as it is the responsibility of the employer to provide employee with safety equipments and working gears if the job demands so... this means, you don't have to buy special clothes yourself, they'll provide one for you during your work period.
I agree with Roger. What happened here is that they wanted to scare you of with some extra demands. They probably have somebody else in mind and they want to avoid someone higher up interfering with the selection.

angelcorpse

Post by angelcorpse » Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:15 pm

Flossy1978 wrote:Race has to do with colour.

Why do foreigners always blame racism?

Don't you think it is to do with the fact there are many people out of work. Many people have probably texted the recruiter and she has taken someone else.

If you have a non-Finnish name, they will presume you do not know Finnish and know you'll be a lot more work involved, than just using a Finnish person. So, they will always choose a Finnish person, over a foreigner. It isn't racism. It is just common sense for a recruiter to use the easier option. Especially for a mundane bottom of the list dishwasher job.

It is what it is.
So, aren´t you a foreigner too?
Summoned from the Void

angelcorpse

Post by angelcorpse » Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:33 pm

suomii wrote:I have been searching for a cleaning job or a dishwashing job at a work restaurant for a very long time for about last three years. Around last september I heard from my close friend directly that there is a dishwasher job at a private recruitment agency in my city and they couldn't find someone. I called the recruiter person directly and as usual nobody answered my phone. I repeated calling for about two weeks. Nobody answered my calls. Later I learned that Finnish recruiters only answer messages but never turn on their phones. Later I messaged her and told about my interest in the job. She just asked me if I have some special clothing for the job. Even I have cleaning job experience I have never used a speacial job clothing. She said this is needed for this job and I told her that I can buy it if needed. After that day she stopped answering my messages again even I asked about the starting date and details. This is not the first time I am experiencing this type of weird behaviour from a Finnish recruiter. What is causing this terrible service? Is this racism or having too many potential workers so that not caring about them as humanbeings? I even have experience in cleaning.I want to know if they are behaving in the same way to Finns also. I have a Finnish look, I am not a refugee and nothing is foreign looking other than my name. I started to think that this is pure racism. I see these terrible recruitment services as unacceptable. This even caused me to lose my hope in finding a job in Finland. I want to hear suggestion of Finns on how to find a job easily in Finland and what are their ways. Thank you.
I keep having the same problems, though not with cleaning companies but with educational services providing ones and such. I´m also European, look completely Finnish, have a surname which is found in Finland as well and speak both Finnish and Swedish (plus three more languages). All I can say is that there is clearly a lack of customer service skills in this country, but I´m afraid I can´t sometimes help thinking that my being from another country does affect the fact I´m unemployed. I´ve got used to not being answered either by phone, mail or stuff, although I´m prepared to spend days trying to make my message go through. About recruiters behaving like that - from what my few Finnish friends told me think it´s just their general attitude, especially if the recruiters are sour 40/50-year-old women. :lol: When it comes to finding a job, I can suggest you to try to find out something more about companies like Kuntarekry and Seuturekry (or similar). I do teaching substitutions in my area through the former and so far it has been working fine - they also provide cleaning, food serving, nursing and office work substitutions. I´definitely suggest trying those out - even a few days of work a month are better than nothing.
Summoned from the Void

ajdias

Post by ajdias » Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:34 pm

roger_roger wrote:
Is this racism or having too many potential workers so that not caring about them as humanbeings? I even have experience in cleaning.I want to know if they are behaving in the same way to Finns also. I have a Finnish look, I am not a refugee and nothing is foreign looking other than my name.
So you didn't get job as white huh? I am not sure about recruiter but the racist vibe is coming from you, for me you sound more racists to the refugees or other non-whites than the recruiter.
Yup, sad to see so many of those crying discrimination are themselves perpetrators :( Not that they or anyone deserves to be subject to it.

The other day TS published a rather comprehensive article on unemployment. Someone should translate it and have it read to foreigners seeking employment in this country, you've got it all there: the guilt, helplessness and shame many jobless feel, the non-stop cycle of rejection, the jerks from online discussion boards, how the TE's job is mostly useless, a sort of Musical Chairs where a unemployed person that gets a job by taking it away from another unemployed (rather than creating jobs, which they can't really do) and even the candid account of how a foreign sounding name throws away potential job leads, even though he is just a local boy from Tampere with a local degree. You probably would never see it presented so factually if the article was directed towards a foreign audience.
  • Suomessa on työ- ja elinkeinoministeriön mukaan 358 000 työtöntä, mutta 33 000 avointa työpaikkaa.
    Silti työttömistä on tehty syypäitä omaan työttömyyteensä. Heidät halutaan aktivoida työhön, jota ei yksinkertaisesti ole. Siihen täytyy olla jokin syy.

TS:Syyllinen on työtön

angelcorpse

Post by angelcorpse » Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:44 pm

Yeah, just read it. I´d also be able to translate it and damn it would do some good to throw it in the face of some people, who apparently can´t seem to get how hard it is for both foreigners and Finns (nobody has claimed that we foreigners should be privileged even when it comes to job searching) but it´s undeniable that a certain discrimination factor does indeed exist, IMO) to get a job. and I´m also not one of those who like sitting at home and rolling her thumbs on the sofa, something I´m sure I share with most of the other people coming here to ask for guidance. It´s also useful to remind that when people ask for some tips it is polite either to answer objectively ÓR to shut up if nobody has anything good to come up with, which is a Finnish cultural trait I do actually appreciate a lot.
Most kinds of interactions on this forum sound like plain "pään aukominen" (e.g.uselessly irritating behaviour towards others which may also result in a sound beating up) to me. :D
Summoned from the Void

Flossy1978

Post by Flossy1978 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:30 pm

Angelcorpse. Yes, I was a foreigner when I lived there. My first two jobs I got just by contacting the employers. First two places I even asked. Sorry, I never suffered from any "racism" etc. Only time I thought I was treated unfairly was in regards to divorce, to do with our child and trying to get my name off my former marriage's mortgage. Which all these years later I still can't do because the Finnish man appears to have all the rights. That is all.

Not everyone has such awful anti-foreigner problems in Finland.

And foreigners must also remember, the economy is !"#¤%. There are lots of people out of work. Lots of people applyinf for the same job as a foreigner. It is only natural, however bad you percieve it to be, a Finnish employer will often choose a Finnish name or Finnish speaker over a foreigner in most cases. Simply because it is easier. Not because they are racist or anti-foreigners. Why make more work for yourself when there is an easier option?

Hämeen Hitain

Post by Hämeen Hitain » Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:06 am

Flossy1978 wrote:trying to get my name off my former marriage's mortgage. Which all these years later I still can't do because the Finnish man appears to have all the rights.
What do you mean? If you and your ex have a co-owned property you can always demand yhteisomistuksen purku from käräjäoikeus.

http://www.finlex.fi/fi/laki/ajantasa/1958/19580180

That has nothing to do with gender or citizenship.