Offered job in Otaniemi

Useful advice on jobs, careers and entrepreneurship in Finland. Find job postings, job information, work permits and more.
kmmaran

Offered job in Otaniemi

Post by kmmaran » Sun Apr 23, 2017 5:09 pm

Hello Everyone,

I have recently offered job in Otaniemi for 30,000 euro. I have PhD and close to 15years experience.Do you think this pay is reasonable for family.

What is the pay after tax and considering my wife will not work and my son will go to school is this money is good.
What is the rental in Otaniemi and expenses like?

Thank you and have a good day.

BRgds

Offered job in Otaniemi

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

JK_Ironak

Re: Offered job in Otaniemi

Post by JK_Ironak » Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:34 pm

If you mean your salary will be 2 500 eur gross per month, with no additional benefits, that is what phd students get :?

Beep_Boop

Post by Beep_Boop » Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:27 pm

What kind of job is it? 2500/month is too low for a family, especially an immigrant family with limited support network.
Every case is unique. You can't measure the result of your application based on arbitrary anecdotes online.

podzap

Post by podzap » Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:59 pm

2500 EUR per month brutto is a joke. I earn between 2-4 times that amount per month (my last month's brutto salary was 10,500 EUR). And my wife usually earns more than 5000 EUR per month. Of course, the taxman loves us ;-)

You won't find a family sized apartment in Otaniemi area for less than 1500 per month. If your brutto is 2500, you will be living pretty near the poverty level.

kmmaran

Post by kmmaran » Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:31 pm

Hello all thank you for your reply, really open my idea of taking this job. The job is related to satellite design.

podzap

Post by podzap » Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:42 am

With 2500 EUR per month, and a 3 person family, I don't even think you will meet the income requirement to get a residence permit. I would guess the minimum would be maybe 2800 per month. Anyway, unless you are starving where you're living now, then I wouldn't accept this job for less than 4500 per month - and even with that, you will struggle to make ends meet.

When I moved to Finland almost 20 years ago, I had a salary of 18000 FIM (3000 EUR) per month. My wife did not work and we got a baby as well. We were living in Tapiola and I'm telling you, after we paid our bills and budgeted for food, we could barely afford to buy ourselves a bottle of cider for sauna evening at our own apartment. Had it not been for my employer providing me with company paid mobile phone and internet connection, I would not have been able to afford them on my own.

And the whole problem was? Single income for an entire family. The core structure of the Finnish salary and tax code is designed for double-income families. If one spouse is not working, then it puts a family at a severe economic disadvantage.

kmmaran

Post by kmmaran » Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:20 pm

Hi Podzap,

Thank you for your reply, really helpful for us to decide better.
At the moment I am in Perth, Australia.

I don't understand why the company pay so low for my qualification and experience. At first I thought its pretty much standard in Northern Europe for this scale but after reading all of your replies, I think its not reasonable at all.

With 2500 there is no way for me to pay rent and have a reasonable life. I am still talking to the agent. Will let you know the outcome.

podzap

Post by podzap » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:40 am

Yeah and don't let them !"#¤% you about all the fringe benefits, etc. At the end of the day, you need cold, hard cash to feed and clothe your family.

JuhlaMokka

Post by JuhlaMokka » Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:37 am

kmmaran wrote:Hi Podzap,

Thank you for your reply, really helpful for us to decide better.
At the moment I am in Perth, Australia.

I don't understand why the company pay so low for my qualification and experience. At first I thought its pretty much standard in Northern Europe for this scale but after reading all of your replies, I think its not reasonable at all.

With 2500 there is no way for me to pay rent and have a reasonable life. I am still talking to the agent. Will let you know the outcome.
Probably it's some startup, they often pay so low.
But in normal companies it's a student salary. At least I get the same as a ICT bachelor's last year student, and after graduation it will be more. For 15 years experience, I wouldn't agree for less than 5000.

kmmaran

Post by kmmaran » Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:35 pm

Hi Podzap and Juhla,

After some further and detail QNA, they not plan to offer much higher salary and its a startup company, they have secured second round of funding and looking for people.

Thanks guys for all the help so I can take a decision on this. Its no for me at the moment, the job is pretty techie (satellite design) but family comes first.

podzap

Post by podzap » Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:37 pm

Yeah, anyway it's a really bad sign if a startup is not willing to pay it's core experts more than the founders receive in salary. The founders own percentages of the company, so they can accept the bare minimum (or below) living costs as compensation because if the company is successful then they will be rewarded many times over. In order for the company to become successful, they need to attract suitable talent and that means paying fair market value.

Additionally, satellite design is a multi-billion dollar / euro business. A startup company who is doing satellite design without a large amount of investment capital is never going to succeed anyway - the founders are just unemployed people who are trying to earn a living from the financing rounds.