Taxing when working for embassies in Finland

Useful advice on jobs, careers and entrepreneurship in Finland. Find job postings, job information, work permits and more.
Ninaka

Post by Ninaka » Fri May 05, 2017 12:07 am

Hello,

I am about to sign contract with a foreign Embassy in Finland. It is told to me I should pay all taxes.
I don't get do I need to pay employers share of statutory social insurance as well or just for myself. It is a big difference (6,15 % or plus 19%) which means all together around 25. At the and I would have ridiculous small salary.
I don't have a clue. :shock: :?
So please, if somebody knows someone who knows someone who was in the similar situation, I would like to hear how they have handle this.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

IvanKragujevac

Re: Taxing when working for embassies in Finland

Post by IvanKragujevac » Thu May 11, 2017 1:24 pm

I have the same situation like you, so I would also like to know more about that but it seems nobody knows about it!

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Thu May 11, 2017 7:18 pm

IvanKragujevac wrote:I have the same situation like you, so I would also like to know more about that but it seems nobody knows about it!
There are a lot of special rules and exceptions with embassies. The embassy really should have the answers to these kinds of questions.

IvanKragujevac

Post by IvanKragujevac » Thu May 11, 2017 10:02 pm

betelgeuse wrote:
IvanKragujevac wrote:I have the same situation like you, so I would also like to know more about that but it seems nobody knows about it!
There are a lot of special rules and exceptions with embassies. The embassy really should have the answers to these kinds of questions.
They don't care even the person who is working for them not paying the taxes at all. But of course I am not interested in that. I would like to use the opportunity to apply for new RP based on employment.

Ninaka

Post by Ninaka » Sun May 14, 2017 8:43 pm

Hi,

After some examination it seems to be like this.
Foreign embassy should pay statutory insurance for every finish citizen they employ.
From the Finnish center for pensions i got answer that there is certain A1 form that should be sign from ambassador.
Here is the link> http://www.etk.fi/en/pension-services/i ... -purposes/
Work in the embassy is seen as "working abroad".
If you are offered some gross (brutto) salary, it would be better to rise it for the insurance purposes amount, because you will have to pay everything at the end.

IvanKragujevac

Post by IvanKragujevac » Wed May 17, 2017 1:28 pm

Thanks for you message. Unfortunately, the embassy won't increase offered salary so I will have to pay myself. I wonder how does the Migri consider the person who work for embassy, as a employed person or what?

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Wed May 17, 2017 4:09 pm

IvanKragujevac wrote:Thanks for you message. Unfortunately, the embassy won't increase offered salary so I will have to pay myself. I wonder how does the Migri consider the person who work for embassy, as a employed person or what?
They might not consider anything since some of the permits for embassy workers are handled by the foreign ministry.

https://www.finlex.fi/fi/laki/ajantasa/ ... 0301#L4P69

IvanKragujevac

Post by IvanKragujevac » Thu May 18, 2017 12:46 am

betelgeuse wrote:
IvanKragujevac wrote:Thanks for you message. Unfortunately, the embassy won't increase offered salary so I will have to pay myself. I wonder how does the Migri consider the person who work for embassy, as a employed person or what?
They might not consider anything since some of the permits for embassy workers are handled by the foreign ministry.

https://www.finlex.fi/fi/laki/ajantasa/ ... 0301#L4P69
Embassies hire people locally, so people who are working locally couldn't be considered as a embassy employees neither. However, status of locally employed people by embassies is very mysterious.