Resignation and work stress

Useful advice on jobs, careers and entrepreneurship in Finland. Find job postings, job information, work permits and more.
Malena2017

Post by Malena2017 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:26 pm

Hi, guys.
I have been working as a kindergarten nurse since February but even though it's not that long, I feel I'm losing both health and mental health.
This environment is highly stressful considering the amount of children we're dealing with daily. I love kids but since working here I realized it's just impossible to relax around them due to their high level of energy.
I see how often my colleagues take sick days and some of them burn out. It is a difficult job.
On top of this, I feel discriminated at work because of my foreign background. I speak Finnish with my work mates but it doesn't matter to them-they just don't care about others who are different than them. Thus I have no friend at work and this is another added stress.
Please don't tell me to be grateful to have a job in Finland as a foreigner because rather than getting sick from stress, I would take unemployment.
How was your experience with quiting your job? Did you ever go through it as a foreigner? Did you find another job right after?
I am open to any possibility of finding a great work even relocating to amother country.
I would not stay in Finland just for a job.

Mari

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

rinso

Re: Resignation and work stress

Post by rinso » Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:52 am

Malena2017 wrote:Hi, guys.
I have been working as a kindergarten nurse since February but even though it's not that long, I feel I'm losing both health and mental health.
This environment is highly stressful considering the amount of children we're dealing with daily. I love kids but since working here I realized it's just impossible to relax around them due to their high level of energy.
I see how often my colleagues take sick days and some of them burn out. It is a difficult job.
On top of this, I feel discriminated at work because of my foreign background. I speak Finnish with my work mates but it doesn't matter to them-they just don't care about others who are different than them. Thus I have no friend at work and this is another added stress.
Please don't tell me to be grateful to have a job in Finland as a foreigner because rather than getting sick from stress, I would take unemployment.
How was your experience with quiting your job? Did you ever go through it as a foreigner? Did you find another job right after?
I am open to any possibility of finding a great work even relocating to amother country.
I would not stay in Finland just for a job.

Mari
Being the odd one out is not uncommon for foreigners in Finland. It takes time and patience to overcome this situation.
As a nurse you might find another job but you will be lowest in the picking order getting the unfavorable part of the job.
If social interaction is important to you, find a place (country) that is open to strangers. (it might not be as easy as you think)

roxanamaria

Post by roxanamaria » Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:41 pm

Hi there Malena! I totally understand where you are coming from. I have had discusions with many people and many of them have difficulties of adjusting to the culture and feel accepted. What I can say to keep you positive is that people are different so try to befriend some people who you relate to. And the ones that you feel give you bad energy, don't mind them. Anyway, what I notice as a cultural thing here in Finland is people separate very well working life of own life. They have työkaverit(work mate) who are not necessarily their friends in spare time. In your free time try to communicate with other people. And the winter is kind of difficult season due to the darkness. Keep well, there are so many wanderful people around, is just the society these days changed us somehow! :-) :-)

irnbru

Post by irnbru » Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:26 pm

One of the toughest jobs in the world that. No shame in deciding it's not for you. Pay is terrible for what you have to do as well.