Unemployment benefit while studying

Useful advice on jobs, careers and entrepreneurship in Finland. Find job postings, job information, work permits and more.
wolf80

Re: Unemployment benefit while studying

Post by wolf80 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:43 pm

mavisbush wrote:I have a question here,
since "moonlightway" has got his/her finnish citizenship, why can\t he just apply study allowance for student from KELA?
Why it has to be unemployment benefit? :?:
As too my knowledge:
You are not eligible to get student benefits or a student loan if you are getting unemployment benefits or are eligible for unemployment benefits. As moonlightway had a job for many years that he will quit now (or has already quit) he is eligible for unemployment benefits. (Even if he practically does not get them for the first 2 months as he quit the job himself.) He can of course always ask KELA, but I bet I already know their answer.

http://www.kela.fi/documents/10180/6819 ... a7453a374e

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Post by 007 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:19 pm

mavisbush wrote:I have a question here,
since "moonlightway" has got his/her finnish citizenship, why can\t he just apply study allowance for student from KELA?
Why it has to be unemployment benefit? :?:
Unemployment benefits > student allowance

In fact, if he/she is a member of a kassa (most probably is), he/she gets kassa money which is bigger (dependent on the salary) than what you get as an unemployed from KELA.

So, Kassa money > unemployment benefits > student allowance. Therein lies the reason for wanting to study with TE-toimisto's blessings.
“Go where you are celebrated – not tolerated."
"Aina, kun opit uuden sanan, opettele samalla sen monikko!"