Unemployment benefit while studying

Useful advice on jobs, careers and entrepreneurship in Finland. Find job postings, job information, work permits and more.
moonlightway

Post by moonlightway » Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:27 am

Hello,

I have ''A type'' residence permit. I am working in a company for more than four years. I am a member of PAM as well since last 2.5 years.

Now I am going to start my master's studies at a university.

My classes will start soon. I have checked the study schedules and it seems that it is quite impossible to do work and study at the same time.

Now, my question is am I eligible to get unemployment benefit?

How can I proceed?

I heard that I have to pay 3 months penalty if I leave voluntarily.

How can I avoid this thing? (3 month penalty)

Pls guide me if you have gone through this situation or know about this procedure?

Many many thanks in advance for your kind replies..

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

PJG

Re: Unemployment benefit while studying

Post by PJG » Fri Sep 01, 2017 3:14 am

In your circumstance, I don't believe you can avoid the 90 day waiting period. You're working. It's your decision to give up the job. You should/could have known this when you applied for the masters.

wolf80

Post by wolf80 » Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:46 am

moonlightway wrote:Hello,

I have ''A type'' residence permit. I am working in a company for more than four years. I am a member of PAM as well since last 2.5 years.

My classes will start soon. I have checked the study schedules and it seems that it is quite impossible to do work and study at the same time.

How can I proceed?

Pls guide me if you have gone through this situation or know about this procedure?

No you will not get unemployment benefits. You are not seeking work during this time, but you are studying.

I know several people who had this problem after losing their university funding during their PhD studies. They wanted to continue the studies while getting unemployment benefits. But if you are inscribed to a university while getting unemployment money you have to set your attendance status to "0-25% attending" and are only allowed a few credits coursework per year.

You would need the TE-Office to agree to your studies, which has an incredibly low chance. They will want you to find a new job, and at best put you into one of their own courses.

So stay in your job or fund your studies yourself. In the current economic situation many people would kill for a stable job!

Upphew

Post by Upphew » Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:18 am

wolf80 wrote:

How can I proceed?

No you will not get unemployment benefits. You are not seeking work during this time, but you are studying.

I know several people who had this problem after losing their university funding during their PhD studies. They wanted to continue the studies while getting unemployment benefits. But if you are inscribed to a university while getting unemployment money you have to set your attendance status to "0-25% attending" and are only allowed a few credits coursework per year.

You would need the TE-Office to agree to your studies, which has an incredibly low chance. They will want you to find a new job, and at best put you into one of their own courses.

So stay in your job or fund your studies yourself. In the current economic situation many people would kill for a stable job!
It is possible nowadays to get unemployment benefit while studying. I haven't researched this too much, but most likely one must be first unemployed, then deal with TE-people to get green light and then start the studies. Starting studies, then resigning sounds like a way to confuse people who decide if you get the benefit.

For more info... www.te-palvelut.fi
http://google.com http://translate.google.com http://urbandictionary.com
Visa is for visiting, Residence Permit for residing.

JuhlaMokka

Post by JuhlaMokka » Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:22 pm

Upphew wrote:
wolf80 wrote:

How can I proceed?

It is possible nowadays to get unemployment benefit while studying. I haven't researched this too much, but most likely one must be first unemployed, then deal with TE-people to get green light and then start the studies. Starting studies, then resigning sounds like a way to confuse people who decide if you get the benefit.

For more info... http://www.te-palvelut.fi
The list of acceptable degrees is very limited. First of all it should be professional degree. So they will never accept 'classical' university degree, only uas, what is also not guaranteed at all. As the question is about master degree you may just forget about it, te-toimisto does not support master studies.

wolf80

Post by wolf80 » Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:34 pm

JuhlaMokka wrote:
Upphew wrote:
wolf80 wrote:

For more info... http://www.te-palvelut.fi
The list of acceptable degrees is very limited. First of all it should be professional degree. So they will never accept 'classical' university degree, only uas, what is also not guaranteed at all. As the question is about master degree you may just forget about it, te-toimisto does not support master studies.
Well, I did say that you need the TE-Office to agree to the studies. But they will only agree if a) you have been unemployed for a while, plus b) you have no good chances of finding a job in your current field in the foreseeable future, and additionally c) the education you seek increases your chances of finding a job drastically. And even then it is more an excemption than the rule. And as a foreigner your chances are much worse than if you were a Finn.

The chances that they agree to finance a foreigner a Masters degree in a field in which he already held a job for four years with just a Bachelors degree are practically zero.

Upphew

Post by Upphew » Sat Sep 02, 2017 6:54 pm

JuhlaMokka wrote:The list of acceptable degrees is very limited. First of all it should be professional degree. So they will never accept 'classical' university degree, only uas, what is also not guaranteed at all. As the question is about master degree you may just forget about it, te-toimisto does not support master studies.
"Mihin opintoihin voi saada työttömyysetuutta?
Työttömyysetuudella tuetaan vain päätoimista opiskelua. Päätoimisena pidetään seuraavia opintoja:
tavoitteena on alemman tai ylemmän korkeakoulututkinnon suorittaminen,"
http://www.te-palvelut.fi/te/fi/tyonhak ... _opiskelu/
That sounds like masters would be fine as well as classical university degree.
http://google.com http://translate.google.com http://urbandictionary.com
Visa is for visiting, Residence Permit for residing.

wolf80

Post by wolf80 » Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:44 pm

Upphew wrote:
JuhlaMokka wrote:The list of acceptable degrees is very limited. First of all it should be professional degree. So they will never accept 'classical' university degree, only uas, what is also not guaranteed at all. As the question is about master degree you may just forget about it, te-toimisto does not support master studies.
"Mihin opintoihin voi saada työttömyysetuutta?
Työttömyysetuudella tuetaan vain päätoimista opiskelua. Päätoimisena pidetään seuraavia opintoja:
tavoitteena on alemman tai ylemmän korkeakoulututkinnon suorittaminen,"
http://www.te-palvelut.fi/te/fi/tyonhak ... _opiskelu/
That sounds like masters would be fine as well as classical university degree.
It just says that theoretically anything is possible. But your TE-office has to agree to it. THAT is the crucial point. They are ordered to agree to studies only as an absolute excemption, and I say that knowing somebody working in the TE-office closely. Very often you are also sent to the TE-office psychologist for evaluation of your case.

You have been unemployed for years without the chance of finding a job, and now you want to have vocational training as a plumber? There is a chance you might get money for it.

You are 28, and after a bad childhood and years of drug addiction and alcoholism you are finally sober and now want to turn your life around with some education, so you are finally able to find a job? Also a chance you might get it.

You quit your good job of four years to enrol in a Masters study program? You need a miracle to get the TE-office to sign you up for benefits!

moonlightway

Post by moonlightway » Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:02 am

Thank you all for your replies.

I registered at te-toimisto as a jobseeker.

They replied me and want some explanation about my study. (Which school, what programme etc.)

They also want to know that ''Am I looking for a job or ready to take a full-time job if offered''.

But if I study full-time, I can not accept full-time job offer.

Or it is a classic question asked to all?

How should I respond, any ideas?

Thank you in advance!

PS. Recently I got Finnish citizenship :)

tavastia

Post by tavastia » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:36 am

You cannot be full time student and job seeker at the same time. You can only be one of them. Yes, you can register as job seeker and later start your full time school but is your duty to inform TE about your studies. Failing to do so will make them claim all the benefits paid back.

moonlightway

Post by moonlightway » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:07 pm

Thank you for your reply. @tavastia

Actually, I am talking about this.

http://www.te-palvelut.fi/te/en/jobseek ... index.html

I can be at school and get unemployment benefit, if they decide it like that.

But I am not sure how to reply that question!

rinso

Post by rinso » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:52 pm

This is an exception and it is a case by case decision.
For example someone is unemployable and the study is his only chance for a job.
The way to answer (and decision) can vary depending on the local job market.

wolf80

Post by wolf80 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:46 pm

moonlightway wrote:Thank you for your reply. @tavastia

Actually, I am talking about this.

http://www.te-palvelut.fi/te/en/jobseek ... index.html

But I am not sure how to reply that question!
You simply decided to ignore all of the advice given to you here. Why did you ask then in the first place??

Yes, the site says that this is a possibility, BUT ONLY IF THE TE-OFFICE AGREES BEFOREHAND!! (As I had clearly pointed out.) You have absolutely no right to it! And honestly, it will not apply to your situation.

I already wrote "I did say that you need the TE-Office to agree to the studies. But they will only agree if a) you have been unemployed for a while, plus b) you have no good chances of finding a job in your current field in the foreseeable future, and additionally c) the education you seek increases your chances of finding a job drastically."

Do you fit
a) no, you just got unemployed.
b) no, as you yourself quit your previous long-lasting job, so you might have chances of finding another job.
c) unlikely. Also your current chances of finding a job are untested yet as you have not been seeking any work.

So finally understand that this is no program to help you finance your studies. This is to increase your chances of finding a job. And as you had a job for many years you are clearly able to look for a job again. You have no right to the best education for the best job possible!

So pick up the phone and call your TE-office hotline, and say that you want to talk to your case worker. Then ask him if you can do this. And I bet he will say no, you have to try to find a job first. Only after years of unemployment you might get an assessment that allows you to get further training, when everything else failed and you then seem like a good candidate for that, but there is no guarantee and right, it depends on your assessment.

And also the government is giving the TE-offices less and less money, so the funding in this pot is going down. Fewer and fewer people get it every year. It is reserved for special cases, and also mostly for vocational training. You wanna become a plumber - you might have chances of getting funding after several years of unemployment.

Post by 007 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:34 pm

moonlightway wrote: Now I am going to start my master's studies at a university.

I am not sure if what I am going to say here has already been covered as I haven't read any of the previous posts. Anyway, what caught my eyes was that you are going to start your studies at a university.

Does that mean you have already accepted the offer to study at a university? TE-toimisto plays by the book. You need their approval before you accept the offer if you were to get unemployment benefits as a student.

Once you accept the offer, you are considered a student. So, if TE-toimisto says you cannot study with unemployment money, you are stuck with student benefits and bye bye to kassa money.
“Go where you are celebrated – not tolerated."
"Aina, kun opit uuden sanan, opettele samalla sen monikko!"

mavisbush

Post by mavisbush » Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:57 pm

I have a question here,
since "moonlightway" has got his/her finnish citizenship, why can\t he just apply study allowance for student from KELA?
Why it has to be unemployment benefit? :?: