Job prospects for a foreign doctor in Finland

Useful advice on jobs, careers and entrepreneurship in Finland. Find job postings, job information, work permits and more.
fostriaxone

Post by fostriaxone » Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:27 pm

Hi,

I am a general practitioner from Turkey with a 1 year post-graduation experience in an emergency department of a private hospital in northern Nicosia. I graduated from medicine faculty (duration of education is 6 years) of Yeditepe University which is in FAIMER list. Language of instruction in our medicine program was English and I fluently speak English. There is a possibility that my boyfriend will go to University of Turku for his PhD and as I want to follow him, I wonder my chances as a doctor or/and in medical related jobs in Finland. For instance, can I be an English-speaking observer in clinics or hospitals as a start? What are the medical specialization requirements for a foreigner in Finland? Also, I can try to become a researcher in a university too...

Thank you in advance.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

rinso

Re: Job prospects for a foreign doctor in Finland

Post by rinso » Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:45 am

fostriaxone wrote:Hi,

I am a general practitioner from Turkey with a 1 year post-graduation experience in an emergency department of a private hospital in northern Nicosia. I graduated from medicine faculty (duration of education is 6 years) of Yeditepe University which is in FAIMER list. Language of instruction in our medicine program was English and I fluently speak English. There is a possibility that my boyfriend will go to University of Turku for his PhD and as I want to follow him, I wonder my chances as a doctor or/and in medical related jobs in Finland. For instance, can I be an English-speaking observer in clinics or hospitals as a start? What are the medical specialization requirements for a foreigner in Finland? Also, I can try to become a researcher in a university too...

Thank you in advance.
There is a big overhaul coming in the healthcare system (making it cheaper). It is unlikely that they want to hire anyone with possible lay offs at the horizon. And if they do, it is "last one in, first one out".
Although you could have your papers certified, it is also unlikely that someone will hire a non-Finnish speaking doctor.
There might be a rare job where you"ll fit in, but it is a case of "right place, right time".

Upphew

Post by Upphew » Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:06 pm

fostriaxone wrote:Hi,

Thank you in advance.
http://www.valvira.fi/web/en/healthcare ... ice_rights
http://google.com http://translate.google.com http://urbandictionary.com
Visa is for visiting, Residence Permit for residing.

fostriaxone

Post by fostriaxone » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:18 am

Hey, thank you all for your answers,
Another question then: What about if I decide to learn Finnish and try to get my medical speciality in Finland? Apart from learning Finnish, do I have to take an exam for starting my medical specialization? Do you know the general procedure?