English teaching jobs in Turku

Useful advice on jobs, careers and entrepreneurship in Finland. Find job postings, job information, work permits and more.
Linna80

Post by Linna80 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:50 am

Hello,

My husband and I, with our 3 children, are planning to move to Turku in July 18. I have applied for the LLEES Masters programme at Turku University. In the UK I am a qualified secondary maths teacher. I have a masters in Economics, a masters in international politics, a postgraduate diploma in secondary teaching and a postgraduate diploma in education and child psychology - all gained from the Russell group universities. I am going to start the TEFL course in January. My aim is to progress in Education research.

My husband is Finnish and works in IT, but has lived in the UK for the past 10 years. Since the Brexit we have decided we want to live in a pro EU country and want our children to grow up closer to grandparents. Which is one of the reasons to move to Finland.

My question is, would it be possible for me to find a job teaching English to adults in the Turku area? As part of the LLEES programme I have to study Finnish but it will take me a couple of years to become conversational in Finnish. However, meanwhile I wanted to know what job opportunities there are for foreign teachers from the EU?

I am planning to visit Turku in April to register with employment agencies for part time work, but also wanted to explore other avenues for guidance.

Thank you in advance for your insight.

Linna

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Rosamunda

Re: English teaching jobs in Turku

Post by Rosamunda » Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:57 am

The biggest private language school in Finland is AAC global. Check their website. Teaching adults is invariably with a zero-hours contract or freelance.