Moving To Finland And Looking For Work

Useful advice on jobs, careers and entrepreneurship in Finland. Find job postings, job information, work permits and more.
Robbman1970

Post by Robbman1970 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:18 pm

Hello, my name is Rob and I'm from Vancouver, Canada. This Summer I'll be moving to the town of Varkaus to marry my girlfriend, Nina and I'm wondering about possible work. I don't speak Finnish yet, although I do know it's very much preferred by employers there. I've been employed as a security guard for nearly 23 years and have some experience as a restaurant worker washing dishes and doing prep work such as grating cheese, preparing calamari (deep fried squid), slicing vegetables for salad, etc.

I realize the pickings are very slim, especially for a non-Finnish speaker, but I was wondering if perhaps anyone knew of any work at all in or around the Varkaus area where language wouldn't be an issue. I fully intend to learn Finnish. Any help or advice would be very much appreciated. Thank you.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

FinnGuyHelsinki

Re: Moving To Finland And Looking For Work

Post by FinnGuyHelsinki » Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:13 am

For both security guard duties and commercial kitchen work you need some local qualifications, namely vartijakortti (license for working as a security guard, granted by the police after having passed the required training and fulfilling other criteria, age, criminal history etc.) and hygieniapassi (hygiene "passport", cources cost ~50€).

rinso

Re: Moving To Finland And Looking For Work

Post by rinso » Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:57 am

Robbman1970 wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:18 pm
Hello, my name is Rob and I'm from Vancouver, Canada. This Summer I'll be moving to the town of Varkaus to marry my girlfriend, Nina and I'm wondering about possible work. I don't speak Finnish yet, although I do know it's very much preferred by employers there. I've been employed as a security guard for nearly 23 years and have some experience as a restaurant worker washing dishes and doing prep work such as grating cheese, preparing calamari (deep fried squid), slicing vegetables for salad, etc.

I realize the pickings are very slim, especially for a non-Finnish speaker, but I was wondering if perhaps anyone knew of any work at all in or around the Varkaus area where language wouldn't be an issue. I fully intend to learn Finnish. Any help or advice would be very much appreciated. Thank you.
So you're looking for unskilled labour in the no-Finn speak field. And that is precise the field where most of the foreigners will be looking for jobs.
To get ahead of the competition you need networking. Use your girlfriend, her family and friends to get you introductions.