Need info on employment law

Useful advice on jobs, careers and entrepreneurship in Finland. Find job postings, job information, work permits and more.
rdfind

Post by rdfind » Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:23 pm

Hello,

I've received an offer from a finnish company. In the contract, it's stated that if I resign in the first year, I have to pay a penalty. That is because the company provides two paid months of training. My question is: if I sign this contract and I resign before the start date specified on the contract (let's say I receive an offer from another company in the mean time), do I still have to pay the penalty? Or does it start after the first day of employment? This is not specified in the contract and I was wondering if someone can answer this.

Thanks

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

metsämurmeli

Re: Need info on employment law

Post by metsämurmeli » Thu May 03, 2018 11:15 am

I have worked in such contracts before, in other countries, though. I strongly suggest to get a "pro rata temporis" clause in the contract. Meaning, if you take say 2 weeks of the training, and have to leave for any reason, you will owe them only their costs, not the entire penalty. In the same line, if you leave, or are let go, say on the last day before the year is completed, you do not owe them the entire penalty.