Can I work as a social worker in Finland?

Useful advice on jobs, careers and entrepreneurship in Finland. Find job postings, job information, work permits and more.
Limez

Post by Limez » Thu May 03, 2018 6:44 am

Hi! I'm a Korean who want to work in Finland as a social worker.
Are there any social work jobs which I could get?
Can a Korean work as a social worker in Finland?

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

FinnGuyHelsinki

Re: Can I work as a social worker in Finland?

Post by FinnGuyHelsinki » Thu May 03, 2018 7:40 am

The language question is the first one that comes to mind. Do you speak Finnish or Swedish? If not, then I'd say the chances are about as good as a Finnish person getting a job as a social worker in Korea without speaking any Korean. Also there's the requirement of having to hire from within EU first, if you're not a resident already.

Limez

Post by Limez » Thu May 03, 2018 9:03 am

Puhu suomea.

metsämurmeli

Post by metsämurmeli » Thu May 03, 2018 10:49 am

Social worker is one of the professions regulated by Valvira: https://www.valvira.fi/web/en/social_we ... fessionals

Best thing is to write them an email explaining your situation. Mention all your official degrees in the field, plus your YKI test results. Mind that you need better results in the YKI test, than for Finnish citizenship. They are very speedy in answering general questions. They will tell you exactly which documents you will have to provide in the form of officially certified copies.

Edit: plus of course, the usual caveat: "can" as in officially allowed to, is one thing, "will" is another. As FGH mentioned, they have to hire EU over non-EUs, and even as EU, heck even as a Finn, if you are not in the social circles... your chances are low.