Does business name disqualify me from unemployment benefits?

Useful advice on jobs, careers and entrepreneurship in Finland. Find job postings, job information, work permits and more.
te14gb

Post by te14gb » Sat May 05, 2018 9:40 pm

I registered a business name last year (not an Oy) that I do on the side from time to time (few projects a year where I make just a few thousand -- EUR 4K a year total).

I was talking to a colleague of mine at my normal fulltime job and she was telling me that if I was to laid off from my fulltime job or become unemployed, that because I have registered for the trade name and maintain a website for the business that I would be disqualified from receiving any kind of unemployment benefits from my union fund or Kela. Is this true? I do freelance work on the side just a few times a year so this seemed excessive if this would be a disqualifier.

If this is a disqualifier, I'll likely submit a removal request to the trade register and figure out another way to promote myself as a freelancer on the side. Thanks in advance for any input here.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

betelgeuse

Re: Does business name disqualify me from unemployment benefits?

Post by betelgeuse » Sun May 06, 2018 4:57 pm

te14gb wrote:
Sat May 05, 2018 9:40 pm
I was talking to a colleague of mine at my normal fulltime job and she was telling me that if I was to laid off from my fulltime job or become unemployed, that because I have registered for the trade name and maintain a website for the business that I would be disqualified from receiving any kind of unemployment benefits from my union fund or Kela. Is this true? I do freelance work on the side just a few times a year so this seemed excessive if this would be a disqualifier.
Not really. Having done the business on the side with a full time job is proof to TE that the business will not impede your job searching.
te14gb wrote:
Sat May 05, 2018 9:40 pm
If this is a disqualifier, I'll likely submit a removal request to the trade register and figure out another way to promote myself as a freelancer on the side. Thanks in advance for any input here.
You don't need to be in the trade register any way unless you want to protect a trade name. For TE it's the prepayment and VAT registers that matter. It does't make sense to pre-emptively remove registration. You can always do it before applying for benefits (but even this is probably not necessary).