Probationary period and unemployment?

Useful advice on jobs, careers and entrepreneurship in Finland. Find job postings, job information, work permits and more.
te14gb

Post by te14gb » Mon May 14, 2018 3:31 pm

Haven't seen this one asked before.

I recently started a new job and am in the third month of my six month probation period. I'd like to resign as the fit is clearly not the right one. Obviously I'm looking for something else and applying already but I want out asap. If I resign during my probation period, am I eligible for unemployment benefits or my union unemployment fund right away or does the 3 month waiting period come into play?

What about if the employer lets me go during my probation period? Does that help me avoid the waiting period?

I should mention that I've been consistently employed for 9 years with no breaks in working, so not sure if that plays a role in the waiting period.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

betelgeuse

Re: Probationary period and unemployment?

Post by betelgeuse » Mon May 14, 2018 5:22 pm

te14gb wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 3:31 pm
I recently started a new job and am in the third month of my six month probation period. I'd like to resign as the fit is clearly not the right one. Obviously I'm looking for something else and applying already but I want out asap. If I resign during my probation period, am I eligible for unemployment benefits or my union unemployment fund right away or does the 3 month waiting period come into play?
You will have to wait 3 months.
te14gb wrote:
What about if the employer lets me go during my probation period? Does that help me avoid the waiting period?
Depends on the reason. If it's because of financial reasons for example, then you would be eligible. Do note however that documenting a false reason is fraud and exposes the company to other legal liability as well.
te14gb wrote:
I should mention that I've been consistently employed for 9 years with no breaks in working, so not sure if that plays a role in the waiting period.
It does not.

te14gb

Re: Probationary period and unemployment?

Post by te14gb » Mon May 14, 2018 9:06 pm

betelgeuse wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 5:22 pm
te14gb wrote:
Depends on the reason. If it's because of financial reasons for example, then you would be eligible. Do note however that documenting a false reason is fraud and exposes the company to other legal liability as well.
Thank you for confirming all the above, appreciated! I'm of course not looking to scam anyone or do anything illegal, but to take it another way, what if the employer was to come to me tomorrow and say, "Hey it's not working, you're just not what we were looking for and we're going to exercise our right to let you go in 2 weeks while you're still in your probationary period." What then? Still 3 month wait or no? Very well could happen this way too, which is why I'm asking. it's not a pleasant feeling right now for either side I'd say.