Just laid off, have toiminimi

Useful advice on jobs, careers and entrepreneurship in Finland. Find job postings, job information, work permits and more.
te14gb

Post by te14gb » Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:15 pm

Hi,

Hoping for some clarification after just being laid off.

I've searched the boards and while I've seen some elements of similar question asked, I wasn't able to find an answer.

I belong to an unemployment fund, been employed in Finland for 8 years, so I of course plan to collect.

I've also had a Toiminimi for about a year where I've done some very small ad-hoc projects via word of mouth where I've made only about EUR 4000 since last year.

1st QUESTION: How will this affect me when I go to claim unemployment via my unemployment fund?

I've looked on numerous "official" Kela, union, etc. sites and talked to two Finnish friends and there was even an argument between them about it when me met up this weekend. One said I'll have no "penalty". The other said the unemployment fund and Kela will say I get nothing since I have a business name.

2nd QUESTION: Let's say I make EUR 500 next month via the Toiminimi work. Can I count this as part of this new "activation model" requirement?

I also plan to call my legal contact at my union this week to help guide me, although wondering if it's not exactly the most unbiased reference.

Thanks for any input here.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

betelgeuse

Re: Just laid off, have toiminimi

Post by betelgeuse » Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:43 pm

te14gb wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:15 pm

I've searched the boards and while I've seen some elements of similar question asked, I wasn't able to find an answer.

I belong to an unemployment fund, been employed in Finland for 8 years, so I of course plan to collect.

I've also had a Toiminimi for about a year where I've done some very small ad-hoc projects via word of mouth where I've made only about EUR 4000 since last year.

1st QUESTION: How will this affect me when I go to claim unemployment via my unemployment fund?
It's easiest for your application to take yourself of registers (ennakkoperintärekisteri and arvonlisäverorekisteri) before applying.
te14gb wrote:
2nd QUESTION: Let's say I make EUR 500 next month via the Toiminimi work. Can I count this as part of this new "activation model" requirement?

I also plan to call my legal contact at my union this week to help guide me, although wondering if it's not exactly the most unbiased reference.
You can. However, you need to make sure TE-toimisto considers it part time or you will not be eligible for benefits that month.

te14gb

Post by te14gb » Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:41 pm

betelgeuse wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:43 pm
te14gb wrote:

It's easiest for your application to take yourself of registers (ennakkoperintärekisteri and arvonlisäverorekisteri) before applying.
te14gb wrote:

You can. However, you need to make sure TE-toimisto considers it part time or you will not be eligible for benefits that month.
Thanks for clarifying some of this. But I don't think I registered for ennakkoperintärekisteri and arvonlisäverorekisteri when setting up the toiminimi as I knew I wasn't going to come near the EUR 10,000 limit per year (at least in the beginning), which is the only time I'd be required to collect sales tax from my clients. I'll have to check though.

tavastia

Post by tavastia » Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:46 am

I hear a similar situation but 5-6 years ago for a friend and he has marked the toiminimi as not active but still there ware some questions from TE why you stop it just when you get laid off, etc. Closing the toiminimi was an issue at that time because it had some assents if you close it you need to "sell" them. The accounting person managed somehow to convince them he did not used it for some time and will never use it again. But maybe the laws are changed from that time. I think union could offer you some help.