[Confusion] Job permit for Netherland, Get Finnish RP Cancelled?

Useful advice on jobs, careers and entrepreneurship in Finland. Find job postings, job information, work permits and more.
f.alvi

Post by f.alvi » Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:09 pm

Hi everyone,

I have a Student Residence Permit of Finland that starts from 1st August 2018.
I am in the process of job interview at a company in Netherlands which started before I got the positive response from the Finnish embassy.

The question is,

I will be flying to Finland in the mid of August as I need to register just so I don't lose my academic year right as I am still not sure whether I will land the job or not so that is why I am flying. But, In case I get the job and I want to move to Netherlands, will I have to apply for the work permit at the Embassy of Netherlands in Helsinki? And will I have to get my Finnish RP cancelled?

Any information on this would be great

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

betelgeuse

Re: [Confusion] Job permit for Netherland, Get Finnish RP Cancelled?

Post by betelgeuse » Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:09 am

f.alvi wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:09 pm
I will be flying to Finland in the mid of August as I need to register just so I don't lose my academic year right as I am still not sure whether I will land the job or not so that is why I am flying.
The school might provide the possibility to register online or remotely.
f.alvi wrote:
But, In case I get the job and I want to move to Netherlands, will I have to apply for the work permit at the Embassy of Netherlands in Helsinki?
Yes if you are resident on Finland.
f.alvi wrote:
And will I have to get my Finnish RP cancelled?
https://migri.fi/en/cancellation-of-a-permit

f.alvi

Post by f.alvi » Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:57 pm

The school might provide the possibility to register online or remotely.
I checked in with the school. I need to register as an attending student for which I need to be present there and they also need to see my original documents.

Yes if you are resident on Finland.
You mean any residence permit, Type B / Type A, or a citizen of finland?

https://migri.fi/en/cancellation-of-a-permit
thanks a lot for the link

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:21 pm

f.alvi wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:57 pm
Citizenship does not mean residence. The embassy of the Netherlands would likely want to see your residence permit to Finland if you apply in Finland.

f.alvi

Post by f.alvi » Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:01 pm

betelgeuse wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:21 pm
f.alvi wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:57 pm
Citizenship does not mean residence. The embassy of the Netherlands would likely want to see your residence permit to Finland if you apply in Finland.
Sorry for the late reply. Thank you for answering. Do you think it would create any issue having to apply for another European Country's job permit while having the student permit(Type-B in Finland's case)? Thank you again.

anttifinn

Post by anttifinn » Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:51 pm

A case for reference:

Joka had the experience in recent years.
Joka was not a EU citizen. Joka has been a resident in Finland. But Joka got a job in another EU country, as a TRANSBORDER WORKER, meaning that he lived always in Finland.

What happened?
(1) Joka needed a work permit to work in the other EU country, but not a residence permit. So Joka still kept Finnish residence permit and got a work permit from another country.
(2) To actually work in another EU country, Joka had to register as a resident (police, population, tax, social benefit, etc). In fact, after that, Finland counted Joka as leaving Finland, even though his residence permit in Finland was not cancelled. (WHAT A LUCK!)
(3) After two years, there was a risk: Finland would like to take off his social security.
(4) During the job, Finland might thought Joka was not in Finland, even if Joka always lived in Finland. So if Joka applied for permanent residence permit or Finnish citizenship, those two years would be taken away.

So, in fact, it was tricky to live in Finland with Finnish residence permit, while working in another country with another country's work permit.

It sounds good but disastrous:

A lot of trouble would follow if Joka gets unemployed, because every country would lke to give him an unbeneficial treatment. Joka was a football to be kicked by Finland and another EU country.

Advice: Never do such a thing like to trust (different institutions in) two countries at the same time.

Of course, different people might have different cases.