Bioproducts industry prospects for foreigners

Useful advice on jobs, careers and entrepreneurship in Finland. Find job postings, job information, work permits and more.
pid7689

Post by pid7689 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:09 am

I'm an entry level non-EU chemical engineer, with no familial ties to Finland, that's looking to pursue a master's degree and eventual employment in the bioproducts industry. It seems like Finland may be a good fit for me, both in respect to its culture and its ambitions of potentially creating a circular economy. However, I'm not sure how viable it is as a foreigner. From what I've read on social media, its extremely difficult to find a job as a foreigner outside of the IT industry (although finland.fi includes skilled laborers and healthcare professionals as viable for foreigners as well).

From what I've learned, it seems like learning Finnish would be absolutely essential. The best chance would be to get a relevant master's degree in Finland, learn Finnish and network during those 2 years, then try to find an engineering job in the country. However, even then, I believe I'd need specialized skills not available in the other EU/Finnish candidates in order to get the position as well.

I was wondering if anyone here might have some insight/advice. Is that assessment reasonable? Do you see the bioproducts industry growing enough to have a demand for non-EU engineers? Any other obstacles/opportunities I should be aware of? There's really no wrong answer. I'm not even sure if this is the right place to be asking these questions, just looking for information and perspectives.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Upphew

Re: Bioproducts industry prospects for foreigners

Post by Upphew » Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:07 am

pid7689 wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:09 am
From what I've learned, it seems like learning Finnish would be absolutely essential. The best chance would be to get a relevant master's degree in Finland, learn Finnish and network during those 2 years, then try to find an engineering job in the country. However, even then, I believe I'd need specialized skills not available in the other EU/Finnish candidates in order to get the position as well.
You have to be the best applicant for the job to get it. If you are non-EU citizen then the employer must show to officials that they can't find employee from EU. That check doesn't apply to you, if you start to work after your studies here.
http://google.com http://translate.google.com http://urbandictionary.com
Visa is for visiting, Residence Permit for residing.

pid7689

Re: Bioproducts industry prospects for foreigners

Post by pid7689 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:02 pm

Okay, I didn't know the studies in Finland would remove that requirement. Thank you, this was helpful.