Certificate of a pending application

Useful advice on jobs, careers and entrepreneurship in Finland. Find job postings, job information, work permits and more.
nikitushu

Post by nikitushu » Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:41 am

It seems like there is not a lot of information about the document called "Vireilläolotodistus", or "Certificate of a pending application". This post is quite long but I feel that it would be very helpful for many people to know their rights while they are with that document on the hands.

Personally, I possess this document at the moment while awaiting for the working residence permit. And I have four questions: three of them are more specific and the last one is more general.

1. Am I allowed to visit countries of the Schengen Area?
The document states that I am prohibited from going abroad. The question is in the term of "abroad". Do they restrict crossing the boarders of Finland or the boarders of the Schengen Area?

2. Am I eligible to get medical services as cheap as they are for the Finnish?
I used to pay up to 50 euros (having student residence permit) just for taking my blood pressure (which is ridiculous). People with Finnish citizenship or some permanent residence permit must be paying much less as I know. I am not sure if they pay less because of possessing a document of higher value or because of getting KELA benefits.

3. Can I apply for KELA benefits?
Returning to the second question, if it is all about KELA than can I apply for its benefits with my certificate?

4. What restrictions do I have having only that certificate compared to having a citizenship/PRP?
Or the only thing which differs me from other people is that I am not allowed to go abroad?

I would be so grateful for your answers. Thank you :)

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

betelgeuse

Re: Certificate of a pending application

Post by betelgeuse » Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:29 am

nikitushu wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:41 am
1. Am I allowed to visit countries of the Schengen Area?
The document states that I am prohibited from going abroad. The question is in the term of "abroad". Do they restrict crossing the boarders of Finland or the boarders of the Schengen Area?
The document does not grant you any additional rights for travel. If you are allowed to travel to the other country (Schengen or not), then a pending RP application does not prevent you from doing that. Do note that re-entering Schengen can present additional hurdles if you don't do it at the Finnish border (verification of legal status in Finland is harder at the other borders).
nikitushu wrote:
2. Am I eligible to get medical services as cheap as they are for the Finnish?
I used to pay up to 50 euros (having student residence permit) just for taking my blood pressure (which is ridiculous). People with Finnish citizenship or some permanent residence permit must be paying much less as I know. I am not sure if they pay less because of possessing a document of higher value or because of getting KELA benefits.
The document does not grant you any additional rights to medical services. Access is connected to having a municipality of residence in the population register, not being covered by Kela.
nikitushu wrote:
3. Can I apply for KELA benefits?
Returning to the second question, if it is all about KELA than can I apply for its benefits with my certificate?
Everyone has the right to apply. Whether you will get a positive decision is not possible to say based on the information you provided.
nikitushu wrote:
4. What restrictions do I have having only that certificate compared to having a citizenship/PRP?
Or the only thing which differs me from other people is that I am not allowed to go abroad?
Citizenship allows things like voting in the parliamentary elections. PR means not having to worry about renewal of the permit.