bike wanted

Public announcements and notices. Also find information on special offers and discounts.
daive

Re: bike wanted

Post by daive » Tue Sep 09, 2003 10:02 pm

adam wrote:im here as an exchange student and am in need of some two wheeled transportation. if you know of a decent, used bike for sale please reply.
(preferably a hybrid or mountain bike, but at this point i could really go for anything) im looking to spend less than 250e.

i looked into the keltainen pörssi, but was finding it difficult -and since i don't yet have a cell, it's nearly impossible to call .

thanks for your help
Just remember that it is a bit risky guaranteeing on using your cycle after the middle of November unless you wanna become a statistic!

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

BAT

Post by BAT » Tue Sep 09, 2003 11:23 pm

I ride my bike to and from work pretty much the whole winter. I leave it at home and ask my husband to give me a ride when it is -30 degrees :-) This year I'm going to buy tires with the spikes, so I don't end up a statistic ;-) (Had one fall last winter, but only a small bruise.)

Good luck with the bicycle hunt. Perhaps someone here might be looking to sell one, or know someone else who is.

Phil

Post by Phil » Wed Sep 10, 2003 7:42 am

I would guess that now is a great time to purchase a brand new bike. 'End of Summer Sales' and all that - "Bike Planet" in Friisila Espoo(sp?) has a giant selection. ...but that's just a guess.

I looked for a used bike here a few months ago and surprisingly didn't find much. Unlike the states where people purchase expensive bikes in the spring and by the fall they're ready to sell them for half the price.

You can always till April in Otaniemi when they get rid of all the abandoned bikes laying around the neighborhood. Also, Anja suggested you check out the police auctions, they supposedly have good deals.

PeterF

Post by PeterF » Wed Sep 10, 2003 8:11 am

Phil list some good idea..e.g.my neighbour bought a nice bike at police auction for less than 100E. But where/when do they hold these auctions??
Some of the small bike shops sell second hand bikes.
There is one near where BAT lives...along the path which goes from north from Myyrmäki shops past the swimmimg pool and the schools towards Lohela.
Hobby Hall also often has bargains.
And this time of the year the big stores have many cut prices bargains.
Maippi bought a Scott MB top of the range all options and accesories for 299E last year at Intersport Jumbo reduced from over 400E. (She has riden it about 10 times, mainly to visit her sister, just once off the road into the forest :roll: )

Handsome

Post by Handsome » Wed Sep 10, 2003 9:40 am

adam wrote:im here as an exchange student and am in need of some two wheeled transportation. if you know of a decent, used bike for sale please reply.
(preferably a hybrid or mountain bike, but at this point i could really go for anything) im looking to spend less than 250e.

i looked into the keltainen pörssi, but was finding it difficult -and since i don't yet have a cell, it's nearly impossible to call .

thanks for your help
If you're just looking to transport yourself from A to B, you could byu a brand new bike for half that price. Biltema do some cheap bikes.

Handsome

Post by Handsome » Wed Sep 10, 2003 9:44 am

BAT wrote:This year I'm going to buy tires with the spikes, so I don't end up a statistic ;-) (Had one fall last winter, but only a small bruise.)
I bought some of these last year.

http://www.nokiantyres.com/bike/winter/index.html (Freddie's Revenz)

Not cheap, but they stick like hell.

PeterF

Post by PeterF » Wed Sep 10, 2003 1:37 pm

Handsome wrote:[

If you're just looking to transport yourself from A to B, you could byu a brand new bike for half that price. Biltema do some cheap bikes.
http://www.biltema.fi/osteri/osteri.cgi ... 3194616665

If this link dont work..it is too long..
http://www.biltema.fi/
then click "verkkokauppa" then "vapaa aikan" the "polkypyörat ja potkulaudet"
They have one store in Vanta another in Espoo....back to their
http://www.biltema.fi/
and click tavatalot for a map.
Not exactly a user friendly www site.

gavin

Post by gavin » Wed Sep 17, 2003 6:48 pm

Try the second hand markets "Kirpputori" - ask the locals where they are.

Depending on the size of the market, there's usually quite a good range from 50 EUROS upwards.

Some of the local Helsinki lot can recommend some good ones for you.

Cheers
Gavin

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Wed Sep 17, 2003 6:51 pm

Yes, here the 'kirpputori' is called "in front of my building" and just go to some wide-eyed dude strolling on the street wanting his next fix... :roll:
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.