Next Monday is No Cars Day in Central Helsinki

Public announcements and notices. Also find information on special offers and discounts.
PeterF

Post by PeterF » Thu Sep 18, 2003 2:06 pm

I remember it was last year...just read they are trying again this year to confuse those who drive into Helsinki and head for the harbour to catch a ferry or those arriving from Stockholm, for example.
The whole central area from the railway station to the harbour is a no go area for private cars.
Not sure what will happen to cars that attempt to drive the normal route via Esplanadi......
There is A Map..in todays Helsinki Sanomta section B1. (Not the International Addition).

Should be fun :roll:

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Slothrop

Post by Slothrop » Thu Sep 18, 2003 3:02 pm

There is A Map..in todays Helsinki Sanomta section B1. (Not the International Addition).

There IS? Not in my copy there isn't.

Bu66er me, they've sent me the damned Rovaniemi edition again. How many stars you got on the bottom right corner of A3?

Maybe they left it out of my copy in favour of the fantasy section entitled "Halme to quit drinking" (A6 Lyhyesti). Or else they dropped it to make way for the Kamppi fire coverage.
Last edited by Slothrop on Thu Sep 18, 2003 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Thu Sep 18, 2003 3:52 pm

Me got one neither. Kamppi fire and some obscure politics in B.
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

Slothrop

Post by Slothrop » Thu Sep 18, 2003 3:55 pm

Sings cheerily:

"Nah-nah-nah-na-nahnah - Peter's got the Reindeer Edition!"

Probably the six-star version that goes up on the night train. Fire hadn't been set by then. Goody-goody, this means I can drive in with a clear conscience.

nehia_qom

Post by nehia_qom » Thu Sep 18, 2003 9:50 pm

Is there a reason for this or is it just to F with people?

When choosing between two evils, always choose the one you haven't tried yet.
- Mae West

Slothrop

Post by Slothrop » Thu Sep 18, 2003 9:59 pm

Perfectly good reason. Newspapers ALWAYS have several editions, unless of course they are local newspapers only sold in the village. Hesari is, more or less, a national paper. Given that it is unlikely they would have a separate press in Rovaniemi, the papers have to be got there somehow... by train or plane.

The first edition, which goes to bed around midnight, has a larger number of stars in the bottom right corner of the front page (A3 in this case). People in the provinces generally get an early edition, and it gets later the closer you are to the centre of Helsinki. Since the rag arrives at around 4 am and - at least in these parts - can carry stories bylined at 1 am or later, they aren't doing a bad job - leastways not if you compare with many English papers, especially the Sundays, which are largely devoid of anything that could be called "fresh news". I can't speak for the States, but I'd be very surprised if everybody gets to read the same copy of the NYT.

That was a party political broadcast on behalf of Helsingin Sanomat. Now we return to our normal programming.

P.S. It WAS interesting that they dumped the No Cars story and did not put it somewhere else. Wouldn't surprise me in the least to see it bumped back up tomorrow.

Slothrop

Post by Slothrop » Thu Sep 18, 2003 10:03 pm

Oh. you meant the CARS. :P

Just wait till it gets good and cold and the exhaust fumes go solid at chest height.

http://www.autotonpaiva.net/

or

http://www.22september.org/

PeterF

Post by PeterF » Fri Sep 19, 2003 8:30 am

WLM wrote:Sings cheerily:

"Nah-nah-nah-na-nahnah - Peter's got the Reindeer Edition!"
Probably the junti Edition it was bought in Nummela.
Five stars on A1
Torstaina 18 Syyskuuta
Section B Kaupunki..
Main head line is about a new Megahertsi store in Hertoniemi
Bottom of same page "
"Helsingin Ydinkeskustan läpi ei pääse omalla autolla."
Writen by Juha Salonen.
Big map ...

PeterF

Post by PeterF » Fri Sep 19, 2003 1:49 pm

WLM has at least got the info in the International addition today.
No map though.. but the description of the no drive area should surfice.
http://www.helsinki-hs.net/news.asp?id=20030919IE7

Slothrop

Post by Slothrop » Fri Sep 19, 2003 2:10 pm

Peter Floyd wrote:WLM has at least got the info in the International addition today.
No map though.. but the description of the no drive area should surfice.
http://www.helsinki-hs.net/news.asp?id=20030919IE7
Look again. Maps aplenty. But don't bank on twisting my arm again. :)
The HS map was off-limits for some reason.

And that typo... "addition" for "edition" - you suggesting we make things up? I may have to ask you to step outside. 8)

PeterF

Post by PeterF » Fri Sep 19, 2003 2:21 pm

WLM wrote:
Look again. Maps aplenty. But don't bank on twisting my arm again. :)

And that typo... "addition" for "edition" - you suggesting we make things up? I may have to ask you to step outside. 8)
Opps point 1..poor eyesight or were they added later?..point 2..lack of coffee..but.. I have noticed that "someone" does occasionaly ADD a few personal points of view to the original Helsinki Sanomat Finnish story line.
e.g. "Ironically, this means those who probably need the information most are getting it one day later.!".uhum!

Slothrop

Post by Slothrop » Fri Sep 19, 2003 2:56 pm

Naturally I see no reason whatsoever to offer a defence for that last scurrilous accusation (my people will meet with your people shortly to discuss a reasonable settlement in the region of, shall we say, 500,000. My people will be armed, so no funny business), but I will point something out that may or may not be obvious: the IntEd cannot "simply translate" what is in Hesari.

Clearly the audiences are radically different - material that is taken for granted by Finnish readers has to be laboriously "explained" and small towns that everyone here knows have to be "put on the map". Around 70% of our readership don't even live in Finland.

Noottikriisi requires a separate paragraph of its own every time it rears its ugly historical head, B-list Finnish celebs have to be explained in painful detail, and bits that are totally irrelevant in the original texts have to be surgically removed so as not to bore people even more.

And the maps were added later, when it became clear we couldn't get hold of the graphics in the paper. :)

PeterF

Post by PeterF » Fri Sep 19, 2003 3:04 pm

WLM wrote:a reasonable settlement in the region of, shall we say, 500,000. My people will be armed, so no funny business),
Will you accept a bottle of Marstons Perdigree or Ruddles County and a promise not wind you up again (until next week)?