>> . Logo Competition !!! <<

Public announcements and notices. Also find information on special offers and discounts.
PeterF

Post by PeterF » Fri Jan 09, 2004 11:21 am

Ace wrote::lol: I can categorically state the mods on here are far from a clique Daive, non of us agree about anything :lol:
If only you could read or hear the Moderators discussions/fights/disputes..it would make a good TV series..resignations/tears/tantrums/frequent threats of spankings.. :oops: this logo thing has been a F up.. :oops: ....rest assured that both Neil and Phil will be getting their ears and PM boxes burnt when the Lady Sara, our VP reads, this thread. :roll: I am going to hide in the pub with Hank...

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

BAT

Post by BAT » Sat Jan 10, 2004 11:11 am

Sara gives me the go-ahead and I do the spankings with my hockey stick :wink: (kidding!)

Sara

Post by Sara » Sat Jan 10, 2004 11:38 am

BAT wrote:Sara gives me the go-ahead and I do the spankings with my hockey stick :wink: (kidding!)
only BAT isnt kidding :wink:

BAT

Post by BAT » Sat Jan 10, 2004 12:10 pm

:twisted: Mwah ha ha ha! :twisted:

BAT

Post by BAT » Sat Jan 10, 2004 12:37 pm

daive wrote:NB. To all you mods... don't take offense by the above, it is not meant as an insult, but a general gripe. Most of the time you do a fantastic job, but sometimes does feel very cliquey. Maybe we need some new blood on the mods section, maybe we can elect some people and run this process democratically.
Your comments lead me to believe that indeed you do think that we moderators are not doing a good job.

There are a couple of us who started as moderators less than six months ago, are we stale blood already? Were Caroline and I such a bad choice?

Behind the scenes we are doing our best to try and set up . as a legitimate democratic association. Please give us credit and realise that we are working on . in addition to our day jobs. Changes and improvements are coming!

jcooper

Post by jcooper » Sat Jan 10, 2004 1:39 pm

Well I think what you mentioned BAt hits it right on the head. I think people are doing a good job and if you think that people are doing day jobs the mods are doing a very good job.

Myself something I wonder whether a mod system based on a meritocracy reflects a user base and sometimes this stymies real debate. That said, given . as it is, a meritocracy is what we have and some people may feel unrepresented.

Anyways, maybe Daive may elaborate on how he feels.
Who is this dog Franks?

BAT

Post by BAT » Sat Jan 10, 2004 3:54 pm

jcooper wrote:Myself something I wonder whether a mod system based on a meritocracy reflects a user base and sometimes this stymies real debate. That said, given . as it is, a meritocracy is what we have and some people may feel unrepresented.
I disagree somewhat with this. Elect anyone to do our job and the same difficulties of how to moderate well all the time will still be an issue. I don't feel that we moderators stymie debate. In most of the cases where some topics have been removed it was due to complaints sent by private message from . members. We listen to the members and act accordingly. We have made some "mistakes", but put anyone in one of those situations and the same thing could have happened.

There is a mixture of nationalities in the moderator group, and there are now three women. Granted, we are all native English speakers, except for Hank. Our age range also varies, as does our amount of time living in Finland. We could have moderators who represent many other features of the . base (which is quite large), but I think it is also fair that a member's (prospective moderator's) conduct on the board is taken into consideration as well. If that is too meritocratous (is that a word? :D ) then... There are many members who would make great moderators, but we can't have 30 or 40 moderators for this size of a bulletin board. In the near future it will be possible to have a more democratic system for all of .'s functions, but it takes a group of people to help set things up, meritocratically (?) elected or not. (As you noted jcooper :) )

Thank you for listening to my ramblings. :D

Post by Guest » Sat Jan 10, 2004 4:48 pm

It's pretty relative anyway.

The current moderators make their decisions based on complaints from members and then add their own opinion to it whether or not the complaint is justified or not.

If you elect new moderators, they'll do just the same. In some situations it'll be better, in others it'll be worse, so the average quality of the moderating will not change.
The points of discussions will only move to different places.

As long as you're dealing with people, you deal with different opinions and with different ways to handle things.
That's just something everyone has to learn to deal with.
You can't please everyone.

Let's just be appreciative towards the people who spent their (free) time to it.

daive

Post by daive » Sun Jan 11, 2004 12:55 pm

BAT wrote: Your comments lead me to believe that indeed you do think that we moderators are not doing a good job.
People can believe what they like but as I said MOST OF THE TIME mods are doing wonderful work on this forum, I never said or alleged that they are not doing a good job. But always when you have a forum like this there will be some dirt on the cogs that stop them wheels from running smoothly. I of course appreciate this is a totally voluntary job and secondary one to the everyday hassles of normal working life too.
BAT wrote: There are a couple of us who started as moderators less than six months ago, are we stale blood already? Were Caroline and I such a bad choice?
How can I answer that. Since I don't know what goes on behind the scenes I can make no comment, maybe you should be asking your peers!!
I don't think anyone individually does a bad job, or not that I have noticed, you all have your own unique perespective that you bring to this forum, just as we all do, that is what makes it work so well.

The problems occur when you get comments like that of Neil (our father) who openly accuses me (embarassing only himself with his childish outbursts) at what was originally a perfectly civilised conversation and a fairly rational question as to what was happening with the competition.
Neil wrote:Not that you have appeard like a nagging housewife to each and every moderator with your what is almost daily PM'ing and emailing/nagging about the logo comp. Your nagging then created a muiltiplication of nagging that was aimed at me for something that is not my project. Not that I want to appear unprofessional.
I know there is a lot of internal debate behind the scenes and the mods I corresponded with were just as puzzled as me as to what was happening, there was certainly never any persistent nagging from me, but as I mentioned earlier when you get the 'chinese whispers syndrome' this sort of mess happens, the message at the start of the chain is completely different from that at the other end! If Neil had nothing to do with the comp then who was giving him grief, twasnot me! I suggest better internal communication?
BAT wrote: Behind the scenes we are doing our best to try and set up . as a legitimate democratic association. Please give us credit and realise that we are working on . in addition to our day jobs. Changes and improvements are coming!
You get 100% credit from me and you should expect nothing less than 100%. I think also from the mods/admin side, a little bit more respect should be given to those of who are the long standing members of this forum, ie the ones who contribute valuable information on a daily basis and make this site what it has become today.

I stand by everything I have said in this and previous threads and have no wishes to discuss any further in either public or private, as far as I am concerned this discussion is closed. It doesn't really do much for me to be insulted, so lets just accept we all have our differences and get on with what we do best and I am especially looking forward to seeing this forum grow and evolve as time progresses.

PS. I look forward to my invitation to wear my deputy sheriffs badge soon! :lol:

Sara

Post by Sara » Sun Jan 11, 2004 2:59 pm

I think everyone has made their points now, so for the sake of a bit of peace let the matter drop.

Or else you will have me to deal with :twisted:

daive

Post by daive » Sun Jan 11, 2004 3:11 pm

Sara wrote:I think everyone has made their points now, so for the sake of a bit of peace let the matter drop.

Or else you will have me to deal with :twisted:
Sorry Lady Sara, I'll be round for my regular sunday afternoon whipping later, you can take it out on me then!! :lol: