Ryan Air close Tampere Route

Public announcements and notices. Also find information on special offers and discounts.
PeterF

Post by PeterF » Wed Dec 03, 2003 3:15 pm

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

neil

Post by neil » Wed Dec 03, 2003 3:25 pm

I believe it is only Tampere > Skavsta that is being axed. AFAIK they will still fly Tampere > Stanstead.
Neil

Please add a link to https://www.finlandforum.org

boO_fi

Post by boO_fi » Wed Dec 03, 2003 3:25 pm

well according to the little table it says that it's stoping flights between Stockholm Skavsta to Tampere...but doesn't show them stopping flights between Stansted and Tampere...

i don't think they'll stop that particular route...if they do, there goes the plans for my friends to come here in February :(
b0 selecta!

boO_fi

Post by boO_fi » Wed Dec 03, 2003 3:27 pm

yarr...this is the reason they probably axed the Stockholm-tampere route...

NEW ROUTES FROM FRANKFURT HAHN TO:

REUS & TAMPERE

and

NEW ROUTES FROM STOCKHOLM TO:

ROME & MILAN

http://www.ryanair.com/news/news_home.h ... =0&lang=en
b0 selecta!

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Wed Dec 03, 2003 3:28 pm

Tampere-Frank is better for flying to funky places :mrgreen: ...or buy a car :mrgreen:
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

Slothrop

Post by Slothrop » Thu Dec 04, 2003 1:25 am

Frankfurt is a ghastly airport. Always fogged in, takes half an hour to get from the end of the runway to the gate. I'm surprised a company like RyanAir is using it, too, since they tend to pick the smaller provincial airports as they are cheaper for the airline. But it IS an attractive hub, I guess. And the car thing might also be a sound reason...
"Passion is inversely proportional to the amount of real information available" (Benford's Law of Controversy)

RM

Post by RM » Thu Dec 04, 2003 9:53 am

Ryan Air use Hahn Airport approx 110km west of Frankfurt, 170km from Cologne and 140km from Mannheim. I'm not surprised they quit the Skavsta route as the main competition is the booze cruises. Finnair stopped Stockhom - Tampere some time ago.
The Stansted route seems to pretty popular but it is right at the limit for them as far as time is concerned. A delay of just one hour will put the crew over the permitted duty time and they don't want to have a Tampere based flight crew which increases costs.

Slothrop

Post by Slothrop » Thu Dec 04, 2003 2:08 pm

Yes, sorry.. misread it - it makes much more sense that they'd use a satellite airport. There was a small piece about it in Hesari on B1 (Talous) today. Distance was the key factor in the demise of the Buzz link, too. Right after they pulled out of Helsinki-STD, they announced a slew of routes from STD to destinations in France, saying they were more cost-effective, despite relatively good seat take-up on the Finland-England route.

I hope Flying Finn can keep going... They seem to be running this week's flights using Maersk aircraft and crews.
"Passion is inversely proportional to the amount of real information available" (Benford's Law of Controversy)

neil

Post by neil » Thu Dec 04, 2003 2:23 pm

WLM wrote:I hope Flying Finn can keep going... They seem to be running this week's flights using Maersk aircraft and crews.
Well I will sample FlyFinn's service soon enough. Several years ago I decided I wouldn't fly with budget airlines again after having a terrible experience with Lufthansa :wink: . The source and destination airports thing is a pain too.

On the surface, FlyFinn looks OK. I will be interested to see what happens. The rail link between Stanstead and Liverpööl Street is at least workable but doesn't it take 45min to an hour?
Neil

Please add a link to https://www.finlandforum.org

Slothrop

Post by Slothrop » Thu Dec 04, 2003 2:30 pm

Neil: I've had no complaints with FF, and have used their services two or three times now. The Liverpool St. connection goes every 15 mins and takes around 45 mins., which may seem excessive to some, but since you are probably saving on apron time, miles of walking through terminals, and time for luggage to arrive, it's probably no worse than Thief Row - and anyway I pick up a car and head east, so what do I know... :)

tjawatts

Post by tjawatts » Thu Dec 04, 2003 2:35 pm

Last time I flew flying Finn it was Viking or something like that. Seems they use other airlines occasionally.

On the topic of the "Standsted Express" on many occasions when I have gone to Stansted the express has not been running. Maybe it is just my bad luck. But watch out especially if it is a Sunday. The replacement is usually a bus all the way or to a train station near by.

Tony

boO_fi

Post by boO_fi » Thu Dec 04, 2003 2:52 pm

again on the topic of Stansted Express...the last time we took it which was about last week :lol: it wasn't a straight trainride from liverpool st to stansted airport...it stopped at a whole bunch of stops i.e. tottenham hale etc. i've taken stansted express once before that about 2 years ago i don't remember it having so many stops back then! oh well, i still think the trains/buses that go to Stansted suck sometimes but then it doesn't beat...

flying to heathrow and the pilot saying in the plane that there's no landing space available at the moment so they have to circle around London 2398792384 times :lol:
b0 selecta!

No.6

Post by No.6 » Thu Dec 04, 2003 4:36 pm

WLM wrote: - and anyway I pick up a car and head east, so what do I know... :)
Where are you from? No that much east of Stansted :)

Other topics-
There has been quite a bit written on Flying Finn using a lot of other firms planes and consolidating departures to lappland (and crews?) in HS, mm. Dunno if it is really the start of the finish if there own planes are in "maintenance" so much.

May be the Stansted Express has been affected by the new motorway roadworks in the area, and/or are they building new rail spur lines.
I am not a number!

michellebarrett

Post by michellebarrett » Thu Dec 04, 2003 7:08 pm

Did get rather worried when saw they had changed some flights! Thankfully I'll still be able to get to Tampere in just over a month's time :thumbsup: and I can't wait!!

dusty_bin

Post by dusty_bin » Thu Dec 04, 2003 7:39 pm

[quote="WLM"] Distance was the key factor in the demise of the Buzz link, too. Right after they pulled out of Helsinki-STD, they announced a slew of routes from STD to destinations in France, saying they were more cost-effective, despite relatively good seat take-up on the Finland-England route.
quote]

It was the reason they gave prior to ending the route. In press releases before the event they said that they were going over to the French routes, IIRC for the ski traffic. I among others, thought that implied that once the season was over, they might restart the Finnish flights but other forces intervened.

RyanAir are in a fortunate position, by offering low cost flights, they can always garner a fair bit of free publicity and promotion, they make no investment into the marketplace and if things do not work well and fast, out they go, There are always pockets of demand to pick up on around Europe, even if they are short term.

Never mind, I am flying to Gatwick, on Estonian Air. Hapy camper here, cheap ticket, decent airport with decent links, easy access to the departure point.