Helsinki Get Together - Teaching English to Finnish People

Public announcements and notices. Also find information on special offers and discounts.
t.madison

Post by t.madison » Wed Dec 03, 2003 4:21 pm

An American friend teaches basic English would like to have his Finnish students (ages 20 somethings) for a little get together for general discussion in English. This would be at a convenient spot near the rail station. The class size is about 10 people. He is open to suggestions for a place to do this. The date being considered is Monday, 20 January starting around 17.30. First question, would any of the . members be interested in participating? Then, second question, any suggestions on a location? Thanks in advance for any input.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

eashton

Post by eashton » Wed Dec 03, 2003 11:56 pm

A good place would be at the William K on Annankatu in Punavuori which is reasonably close to the train station. It has a nice large front room which is non-smoking and it isn't terribly busy on Mondays. They do play music but it's ambient rather than intrusive so you can have conversations without shouting. It also has a better than average selection of beer and scotch. :)

t.madison

Post by t.madison » Thu Dec 04, 2003 5:40 am

Thanks for the suggestion. I will pass it along and post the meeting place a couple weeks before 20 January.

t.madison

Post by t.madison » Sat Dec 06, 2003 2:02 pm

That's an interesting thought, Tom. How many people are in the group and could the meeting be changed to a Monday, 20 January?

t.madison

Post by t.madison » Tue Dec 09, 2003 4:28 pm

A question came up about where this "Kaisla" is located. Need specific info here. The other issue that was raised is the students are from North of Helsinki, so don't know the city like the back of their hand. And the idea is to keep it very informal with a laid back conversational atmosphere in with maybe groups breaking off with their own conversations. Somebody mentioned Molly Malones. Never been there myself and don't think the American instructor has either. So, any ideas?

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Tue Dec 09, 2003 5:20 pm

Its a stones throw as a bird flies from the central railroad station. One has to be totally incapasitated not to find it.
http://www.elannonravintolat.fi/ravinto ... aisla.html

To find Vilhonkatu 4 they need to use
http://www.oikotie.fi/default?exit=map

Kaisla is very cozy, and has a possibility of having a big table and then breaking off. Mondays it'll be 'dead'.

Molly Malones is a bit too noisy, and they might have their upstairs closed.
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

t.madison

Post by t.madison » Wed Dec 10, 2003 3:11 am

My humble apologies. Actually, it's a Monday class - so it has to be on January 19th. And thanks for the meeting place info!

t.madison

Post by t.madison » Sat Jan 10, 2004 8:10 pm

Thanks one and all for your input. Kaisla seems like the best choice for a get together with the Finnish students (improving their English). That is on Monday, 19 January.

The American teacher and the students plan on being there at approximately 5:30 PM. There should be nearly 10 people from the class. And they should not be hard to find. Just tune your ear to the accented English being spoken by a group. Please come up and introduce yourself.

Any members that can find the time to join us and interact with conversation would be welcome. Topics of conversation are open. It will also be an opportunity to ask questions of the class - including different viewpoints of the country, culture and idiosyncrasies. And, of course, they will appreciate hearing as many English accents as possible.

Caroline

Post by Caroline » Sun Jan 11, 2004 12:26 am

t.madison wrote: And, of course, they will appreciate hearing as many English accents as possible.

I wish I could be there! Sounds like fun. I think it would be really neat to have at least one person representing as many different accents as possible- Australian, British, Canadian, American, etc etc. The USA alone has a hilarious range of accents- imagine a southern twang, Texas drawl, Down-East aye-yuh!, Boston lexicon "Hahvid yahd", and Dakota fargo all in the same room :lol: :lol:
Former expat in Finland, now living in New Hampshire USA.

Caroline

Post by Caroline » Sun Jan 11, 2004 12:28 am

Oops! I forgot the Tony Danza New York "you twalkin' ta me?"

(I think it was Freudian)
Former expat in Finland, now living in New Hampshire USA.