Snowboarding THIS SATURDAY!!!

Public announcements and notices. Also find information on special offers and discounts.
Sara

Post by Sara » Wed Jan 14, 2004 8:31 pm

Can you sign up here if you are interested in going snowboarding one day over the weekend of 23-25th Jan.

Anders is going in the car and could have room for one or two extra people. Otherwise the place (Serena) is easily accessed by bus.

http://www.serena.fi/english/serena_ski.htm which is easily accessed by bus http://www.serena.fi/english/bus_timetable.htm from Helsinki

You can hire http://www.serena.fi/english/ski_hire.htm the gear (board and boots).

The slope is pretty short and easy and should be a good beginners sloop. After a day in the slope it's possible to have something to eat and drink and even a dip in the pool and sauna http://www.serena.fi/english/index.htm.

Ensure you have good outdoor clothes, so you will be warm for a couple of hours and also possibly wet (from falling over ;) ). Make sure you have good thick socks, hat and gloves.

So put your paw print underneath so we can work out the final details :D

:star:
Last edited by Sara on Mon Jan 19, 2004 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Post by Guest » Thu Jan 15, 2004 9:14 am

Hey! You're undermining our mountainbiking!! :lol:

Handsome

Post by Handsome » Thu Jan 15, 2004 9:47 am

Arno wrote:Hey! You're undermining our mountainbiking!! :lol:
LOL! :wink:

deojuvame

Post by deojuvame » Thu Jan 15, 2004 10:26 am

Hey, I've never snowboarded before, but I've been to the waterpark there at Serena.

It's fun blasting around on the waterslides while it's snowing outside :)

aurora

Good teachers at Serena

Post by aurora » Thu Jan 15, 2004 11:49 am

´HI!

my daughter and I have both had snowboard and downhill ski lessons at Serena in English. Private lessons were pricy but if you have a group of course the cost goes down. I can´t remember her name but she sits at the ski school desk and has long blond hair Late 30´s. She is a´tour guide in summer so her Enlgish is excellent. Hope you all have a good time there.

Regards Aurora !

Sara

Post by Sara » Fri Jan 16, 2004 7:18 am

So does anyone want to go?

roopemills

Post by roopemills » Fri Jan 16, 2004 8:04 am

I'm ready to go. I was planning on going to Messilä that weekend but if there are enough going to Serena I'll change my plans. The wife and kids will be coming too so I doubt I'll have room to give anyone a ride. Sorry.

So which day would it be?

xgirl

Post by xgirl » Fri Jan 16, 2004 2:28 pm

sounds nice :) i wanna try.
and which day? may be saturday?

TobyA

Post by TobyA » Fri Jan 16, 2004 2:44 pm

Is Serena being suggested because of the public transport connection? Because to be honest from a skiing point of view its a bit rubbish - if you can ski at all, you can be back in the lift queue at the bottom in about 15 seconds. Messila at least has a bit of length but there is great areas for beginners, the cafe in the old farmhouse is slightly better than most ski cafes, and there is a bus that goes there from Helsinki and it doesn't take that long.

Sara

Post by Sara » Fri Jan 16, 2004 3:15 pm

Well Toby, I know nothing about skiing and Snowboarding!

This place has been suggested, and seeing as it does sound simple I think it sounds ideal for many to try snowboarding out.

Im not going, but seeing as Anders is heading that way, its good for a few to go and try out together.

Anders

Post by Anders » Mon Jan 19, 2004 9:40 am

I will be going there (probably saturday) if there is snow in the sloop and nothing extraordinary is happening.
Last edited by Anders on Mon Jan 19, 2004 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Snowboarding is an Art form. The rider is the artist and his board his tool. Together they make art worth die for."

Anders

Post by Anders » Mon Jan 19, 2004 9:41 am

TobyA wrote:if you can ski at all, you can be back in the lift queue at the bottom in about 15 seconds.
If you go first, I promise to wait for you at the bottom :-)
"Snowboarding is an Art form. The rider is the artist and his board his tool. Together they make art worth die for."

Niall Shaky

Post by Niall Shaky » Mon Jan 19, 2004 10:18 am

Serena is the worst ski centre I have been to.

(Also coloured by getting rained on the one time I went there :twisted: )

Tom and Jerry

Post by Tom and Jerry » Mon Jan 19, 2004 10:04 pm

Serena is really nice for children up to four and for grannies after their seventies. Besides, there is a great restaurant next to it.
And a large swimming pool.

At least my kids were bored with Serena at the age of five, but I don't know about the ski skills of the people here.

In Lahti, Messila, they have larger slopes, but then the bus drive takes about 3-4 hours in total from Helsinki.

This is about a bit larger skic-center in vihti. At least there are there lots of young crowd, hip hop, rap, idols and so.
The bus from Helsinki and the ski-ticket for 26 Euro , and that is relatively cheap for a whole day skiing.

I don't know the cost for renting a snow-board, anyhow, the slope in Vihti is a bit longer, but not that difficult.

Look at

http://www.vihtiski.fi

Ski-bussi

Ski-bussilla Vihtiin

Lähtö Rautatientori, Mikonkadunpysäkki
la-su sekä joulu- ja
hiihtolomalla päivittäin.

Matkat ja hissilippu 26 €
Ski-bussin aikataulu

Helsinki, Rautatientori,
Mikonkadunpysäkki 9.15 17.05
Lauttasaarentie 9.20 17.00
Tapiola, Hotelli Garden 9.25 16.55
Vanha Mankkaantie 9.30 16.50
Kauniainen,McDonald's 9.35 16.45
Lommila,McDonald's. 9.45 16.35
Veikkola 10.00 16.20
Vihti Ski Center 10.20 16.00

Niall Shaky

Post by Niall Shaky » Tue Jan 20, 2004 10:32 am

I went to Viihti with WLM a couple of years back. Much better than Serena.

But the only way to rate ski centres in Finland really is how long before you get bored .

Serena: 1 hour
Viihti: 1 afternoon
Himos: 1 day
Lappi (Luosto): 1 day

I've never been to Ruka or Levi, but I guess you might be able to enjoy those places for a weekend.

But I guess you could always see your time on the slopes in Finland as an opportunity to do something new. When I went to Serena (with Handsome and Anders(?), maybe 2 years ago) we were trying to do jumps and little tricks all the time. I think if I went again I'd rent skis (I'm a boarder). By doing something you are weaker at, you'll get more from it.

We're off to Himos for the weekend in Feb. We'll do one day downhill and then one day x-country.