FLYING FINN IS NO MORE

Public announcements and notices. Also find information on special offers and discounts.
daive

FLYING FINN IS NO MORE

Post by daive » Tue Jan 27, 2004 8:03 pm

Breaking news...

Flying Finn is to terminate all flights and cease trading as of midnight tonight. More news as it comes.

Halpalentoyhtiö Flying Finn menossa konkurssiin
(27.1. 17:55)

Halpalentoyhtiö Flying Finn jättänee huomisaamuun mennessä konkurssihakemuksen. Yhtiö jatkaa edelleen tiiviitä neuvotteluja suomalaisten sijoittajien kanssa pikaisen lisärahoituksen saamiseksi.

Yhtiö kertoo, että se keskeyttää kaikki lentonsa ensi yönä, vaikka rahoitus järjestyisikin. Vielä tämän päivän lennot lennetään normaalisti.

Flying Finnin toimitusjohtaja Peter Sevelius kertoi STT:lle, että yhtiö tarvitsisi 2,5 miljoonaa euroa. Flying Finn neuvottelee kolmen suomalaisen yksityishenkilön tai heidän omistamansa sijoitusyhtiön kanssa.

Yhtiöllä on lentoyhteyksiä Helsingistä Ouluun, Kuopioon, Rovaniemelle, Vaasaan, Joensuuhun, Kuusamoon, Ivaloon ja Kittilään.

Halpalentomallin Suomeen tuoneen Flying Finnin ongelmat nousivat esiin kuun puolivälissä, jolloin yhtiö haki yrityssaneeraukseen ja suojasi vuokralentokoneensa velkojilta Vantaan käräjäoikeuden pikapäätöksellä.

FLYING FINN IS NO MORE

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Caroline

Post by Caroline » Tue Jan 27, 2004 9:11 pm

I think the downfall of the company was more due to the silly-sounding name. Flying Finn sounds more like a cartoon character than a commercial airline :mrgreen:
Former expat in Finland, now living in New Hampshire USA.

Niall Shaky

Post by Niall Shaky » Tue Jan 27, 2004 9:20 pm

This is a total bummer. The were good (they were cheap).

Slothrop

Post by Slothrop » Tue Jan 27, 2004 9:26 pm

Matkan varanneita on noin 20 000.

http://www.helsinginsanomat.fi/tuoreet/ ... 3386780488

How many cents on the dollar the people who have booked will get back is anyone's guess...

Shame, really. I wish I'd used them more than just the three or four times.
"Passion is inversely proportional to the amount of real information available" (Benford's Law of Controversy)

anja

Post by anja » Tue Jan 27, 2004 9:42 pm

Crap!
Our office had booked a trip to Stockholm for early Feb. with Flying Finn (just 39€ a :arrow: ticket!) and now we have hotel rooms reserved and all.. will have to come up with something else for us 4 people. :evil:
"Did you ever walk into a room and forget why you walked in? I think that's how dogs spend their lives."
-- Sue Murphy

dusty_bin

Post by dusty_bin » Tue Jan 27, 2004 10:45 pm

Caroline wrote:I think the downfall of the company was more due to the silly-sounding name. Flying Finn sounds more like a cartoon character than a commercial airline :mrgreen:
I know it was because they did not have enough money at the right time!

Francis

Post by Francis » Wed Jan 28, 2004 9:18 am

In a market as small as Finland, there's simply no room for that many airlines. Blue 1 now offers pretty good deals to many destinations, Ryan Air now flies Tampere-London direct (no Stockholm stop), there's V-Bird to Germany and Finnair has good last-minute deals. Last time I checked for a Helsinki-London flight, SAS came out cheaper than Flying Finn...

Handsome

Post by Handsome » Wed Jan 28, 2004 11:13 am

Francis wrote:Last time I checked for a Helsinki-London flight, SAS came out cheaper than Flying Finn...
SAS have been doing a lot of cheap deals lately. If you need to take another internal flight within the UK, they're well worth considering.

Niall Shaky

Post by Niall Shaky » Wed Jan 28, 2004 11:40 am

Handsome wrote:
Francis wrote:Last time I checked for a Helsinki-London flight, SAS came out cheaper than Flying Finn...
SAS have been doing a lot of cheap deals lately. If you need to take another internal flight within the UK, they're well worth considering.
Except for the fact that the people who run SAS deserve to burn in hell for crimes against customers!!! :evil: I have a few bad stories about them and refuse to fly SAS anymore! :evil:

I think you will find that Finnair and SAS will increase their prices to London now that Flying Finn has gone. They certainly did when Buzz pulled out a couple of years back. I might try Ryannair next time I go home

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Wed Jan 28, 2004 11:42 am

Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

PeterF

Post by PeterF » Wed Jan 28, 2004 11:56 am

Niall Shaky wrote:
Handsome wrote:
Francis wrote:SAS deserve to burn in hell for crimes against customers!!! :evil: I have a few bad stories about them and refuse to fly SAS anymore! :evil:

I think you will find that Finnair and SAS will increase their prices to London now that Flying Finn has gone. They certainly did when Buzz pulled out a couple of years back.
When I was flying almost every week around norther europe..SAS also came bottom of my list for "trying to help!" and top of my list for "bounced off over booked flights!"
Once in Copenhagen on route to India I was told my connection to India was full and they did not have any notification of my booking in their system..... so if I would care to wait in the lounge for 4 hours they would put me on the next flight!
Having had previous SAS experience I had obtained a print out of the Computor confirmation of the connection at Helsinki from the SAS desk.
This I presented, together with my SAS frequent flyers card, which I told them to keep, in a very quiet but firm tone of voice adding..I will not be needing this, as I, and anyone who worked for me at Nokia, would not be using their aircraft or hotels again. :evil: :evil:
Would you believe it.. I was found a seat :wink: in Busines class!
:wink:

Kemars

Post by Kemars » Wed Jan 28, 2004 1:59 pm

anja wrote:Crap!
Our office had booked a trip to Stockholm for early Feb. with Flying Finn (just 39€ a :arrow: ticket!) and now we have hotel rooms reserved and all.. will have to come up with something else for us 4 people. :evil:
find someone with a lot of points with Finnair and book the flights using your points...

you only pay the tax + points toward the ticket...
(e.g. I booked a trip to Oulu - 28€ + 19000 points..Like I will ever use the points for something..)
might be an alternative...and quick fix to your "little" problem.. ;)
How much wood would a wood chuck chuck if a wood chuck could chuck wood?

Phil

Post by Phil » Wed Jan 28, 2004 2:11 pm

Flying
Finn in going to the bankruptcy (27.1.
17:55)

Halpalentoyhti| Flying
Finn will probably file a bankruptcy petition by the
tomorrow morning. The company further continues close negotiations with the
Finnish investors to get the quick extra finance's.

The company tells that it will interrupt all its flight next night even if the
financing formed. Today's flights still it is flown in the normal way.

The managing director of Flying Finni Peter Sevelius
told STT that the company would need 2,5 million
euros. Flying Finn discusses with three Finnish
private persons or the investment companies owned by them.

The company has air connections from Helsinki to Oulu, to Kuopio, to Rovaniemi,
to Vaasa, Joensuu, Kuusamo, Ivalo and Kittil{.

The problems of Flying Finni that has brought the
Halpalentomalli to Finland rose in the middle of the
moon out in which case the company searched for to the
company reorganisation and your protection from the
creditors of its rent aeroplane with the
quick decision of the district court of Vantaa.

Phil

Post by Phil » Wed Jan 28, 2004 2:20 pm

So how much tax-dollars has the Finnish government dumped into FlyingFinn over the past year?