Looking for old friend

Public announcements and notices. Also find information on special offers and discounts.
rspector

Looking for old friend

Post by rspector » Mon Jan 05, 2009 3:37 am

Hi,
I am looking for my old friend, Raja (pronounced rye-yah) Miettenen (not sure of the spelling of her surname). I met her in 1967 in Russian (Soviet) Pioneer Camp 'Artek' in Crimea. Raja was a teacher-assistant for the group of Finish kids from the "Smiths of Campo" organization. The teacher's name was Mauri. Raja was from Helsinki, and some kids were from Turku. We kept writing letters to each other for years. When in the 1980th Brejnev's KGB became more aggressive, I had to stop writing letters to Raja. Now I am leaving in the US, and would like to find my old friend Raja, if you know how I might try to locate this person in Finland, please let me know. I have photos of Raja and the group from Turku. Your help will be greatly appreciated.

Raisa

familiar name: Raya, pronounced the same way as Raja

Looking for old friend

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

EP

Re: Looking for old friend

Post by EP » Mon Jan 05, 2009 2:04 pm

The correct spelling is Raija Miettinen.

But the problem is: Raija is a very common name for a woman who was a teenager in 1960s. And Miettinen is a very common surname, along with "Virtanen" it is one of those "Smith and Jones" names of Finland.

karel

Post by karel » Mon Jan 05, 2009 2:41 pm

blaugrau

Post by blaugrau » Mon Jan 05, 2009 3:09 pm

Mhm, so I assume that the organisation that sent the Finnish kids was some sort of communist organisation? Do you maybe mean "smiths of sampo" rather than "campo"? I wouldn't know what campo stands for but sampo is some item from Finnish mythology, a magical mill, nowadays often used for all kinds of contemporary references (maybe the s was lost when translating into cyrillic letters?) I tried googling "sammon sepät" but couldn't find any leads.

My suggestion -- maybe you could contact the communist party in Finland to see if they know someone who knows someone who might know something about the organizing organisation and possibly about your friend's whereabouts..

SKP (Finnish Communist Party):
www.skp.fi
e-mail: skp(at)skp.fi

rspector

Post by rspector » Mon Jan 05, 2009 6:13 pm

Thank you very much for all your responds, I'll follow your suggestions.
Raisa

raamv

Post by raamv » Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:18 pm

If this is the person in the picture ( first pic in the link)
then she is an accountant.. .. :wink:
http://www.kirjanpitopalvelumiettinen.fi/henkilosto.php