Helsinki Expat Meetup has risen from the dead !

Public announcements and notices. Also find information on special offers and discounts.
kalmisto

Post by kalmisto » Sat Jan 17, 2009 1:30 pm

Helsinki Expat Meetup is now on Facebook here :
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=4 ... 822&ref=mf

This is an open group,anyone can join ( Finns also ! ) and invite others to join.

We would like to hear your viewpoints and suggestions.

If you want to make some new friends in Helsinki,try the Helsinki Expat Meetup !

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

raamv

Re: Helsinki Expat Meetup has risen from the dead !

Post by raamv » Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:39 am

so how many members do they have now.??
just another jollydragon gone commercial? or what? or why another organization ?

AlexInHelsinki

Post by AlexInHelsinki » Sat Jan 31, 2009 2:32 am

raamv wrote:so how many members do they have now.??
just another jollydragon gone commercial? or what? or why another organization ?
I though Jollydragon *is* commercial. That's why I was never much interested in their events...

meplusthree

Post by meplusthree » Sat Jan 31, 2009 9:21 am

or why another organization ?
It has been around for years maybe longer than some of these forums, obviously someone has decided to try and get it started again !

odon

Post by odon » Sat Jan 31, 2009 11:52 am

[quote="AlexTroublemaker"][quote="raamv"]so how many members do they have now.??
just another jollydragon gone commercial? or what? or why another organization ?[/quote]

I though Jollydragon *is* commercial. That's why I was never much interested in their events...[/quote]

Jollydragon is commercial, and now have started bunching up like a closed bunch of friends..... :thumbsdown:
except if u are a girlie..then ...u might get a coupon for a discount beer :roll:

kalmisto

Post by kalmisto » Sat Jan 31, 2009 1:03 pm

raamv wrote:so how many members do they have now.??
Helsinki Expat Meetup has right now 59 members :
http://sv-se.facebook.com/group.php?gid ... 822&ref=mf

There is nothing commercial about it. It does not cost anything to join the group and you are welcome to the meetups even if you are not on Facebook. The Meetup used to be here http://expat.meetup.com/cities/fi/helsinki but moved to Facebook because it cost money to be on Meetup.com. There are no bills to pay on Facebook.

Why another organization ? I think that is very good if there are many different alternatives because that gives you more to choose from. Helsinki Expat Meetup has a great mix of people and older people are also welcome ! So far it has been a meet and talk group only. My guess is that Jolly Dragon members are all young ,most of them 19 -35, I think. In Helsinki Expat Meetup your age is irrelevant. Jolly Dragon has of course much more to offer their members than Helsinki Expat Meetup.

kimster46

Post by kimster46 » Sat Jan 31, 2009 1:22 pm

about jollydragon ..u must read this ...some excerpts from the post :)
I've been involved with a local social club for some 2 years now. I've met great people there, volunteered quite a bit and still love the idea of it. It started as a way to get nice people together, find new friends, and to do things without having to book the time 2 weeks in advance. We/they have some discounts too (you had to buy a card to be eligible for them), and now it seems that the whole thing has turned to be only a way for the founder to make money

However, now I have a feeling of being abused. There was an event which needed to be advertised a lot (afaik they need 30 people there every week, which isn't as easy as it might sound in a city as big as Helsinki) and a person asked me to help with it (even here on CS). I would have done it just like I usually do when asked for help, but I luckily found out from another person that there's a huge amount of money behind this deal. No peanuts anymore. I don't know the exact figure, just the amount of zeros, but it's still at least 1/3 of my yearly salary
more here ...http://www.couchsurfing.com/group_read. ... ost=992787
"Love thy neighbor's wife, as thee Loves thyself"

kalmisto

Post by kalmisto » Tue Nov 24, 2009 2:42 pm

new meetup at Belge on Saturday December the 5th ( starting at 5pm ) :
http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=201099767007

If you join The Helsinki Expat Meetup group you will automatically get invites to all our meetups.

If you have any questions you are welcome to contact me !