Searching For Finnish Teacher (Dallas, TX)

Public announcements and notices. Also find information on special offers and discounts.
srm985

Post by srm985 » Mon Sep 22, 2014 5:33 pm

I'll preface this by saying that I hope that I've posted this in the right section.

Anyways, I've been living in Dallas for a few months now and all of my searches to locate a Finnish teacher have been relatively fruitless. I've met several Finns but as you know, being a native speaker isn't enough to teach the language. They are a great resource for questions though about colloquial Finnish and other grammar rules. I've studied it on my own for around four years now. I have a good understanding of colloquial and formal Finnish and I've read a grammar book front to back. I also spent about six months in Finland so I've experienced the language first-hand. I guess I've arrived to to a plateau of sorts and need to find the motivation to go further and I think an instructor is the way to achieve it.

So, if anyone perhaps knows anyone in the Dallas area that is able to teach Finnish I would be happy to learn about it. I suppose I would be open to Skype lessons as well but I would want a a good and experienced instructor for that. Thanks in advance for any help provided.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

srm985

Re: Searching For Finnish Teacher (Dallas, TX)

Post by srm985 » Wed Aug 19, 2015 6:23 am

As this post is quite old, I thought I'd post a reply mentioning that I am indeed still searching for a Finnish teacher in Dallas.

FinnGuyHelsinki

Post by FinnGuyHelsinki » Wed Aug 19, 2015 6:54 am

Have you tried e.g. https://www.listenandlearnusa.com/finnish/dallas/ ? Chances of finding a Finnish teacher in Dallas here (most are in fact living in or about to move to Finland) are quite slim.

srm985

Post by srm985 » Fri Sep 04, 2015 5:56 am

FinnGuyHelsinki wrote:Have you tried e.g. https://www.listenandlearnusa.com/finnish/dallas/ ? Chances of finding a Finnish teacher in Dallas here (most are in fact living in or about to move to Finland) are quite slim.
I have checked with a few of those similar websites and their prices are much more than I can afford. Here in Dallas there are actually quite many Finns, especially working in North-Dallas for Nokia (of course haha). I've actually randomly bumped into Finns while out on several occasions but I haven't found a teacher yet...

FinnGuyHelsinki

Post by FinnGuyHelsinki » Fri Sep 04, 2015 7:20 am

srm985 wrote:I have checked with a few of those similar websites and their prices are much more than I can afford. Here in Dallas there are actually quite many Finns, especially working in North-Dallas for Nokia (of course haha). I've actually randomly bumped into Finns while out on several occasions but I haven't found a teacher yet...
As you already said, being able to teach and knowing a language well enough so that one can teach it are traits on their own. My guess is there are very few (if any) such people with Finnish language skills living in Dallas area that wouldn't be already working as a language teacher. You might want to put some feelers into the Finnish expat community there, if you're very lucky, perhaps someone's spouse would be just that person and wouldn't mind teaching without charging a professional rate for it.