hardest language in the world

Learn and discuss the Finnish language with Finn's and foreigners alike
Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Wed Jan 11, 2006 11:39 pm

Verbien taivutusmuodot jaetaan kahteen luokkaan:
Finiittinen taivutus tapahtuu persoonamuodoissa (kuusi persoonaa ynnä passiivi), aikamuodoissa sekä tapaluokissa eli moduksissa, ja finiittiverbit toimivat tyypillisesti lauseen predikaattina.
Infiniittiset eli nominaalimuodot saavat nominien taivutuspäätteitä (sijamuoto, mahdollisesti monikon tunnus tai possessiivisuffiksi) ja käyttäytyvät lauseessa nominin tavoin.

Finiittiverbien tapaluokkia eli moduksia on neljä: indikatiivi, imperatiivi, konditionaali ja potentiaali (sekä äärimmäisen harvinaiset eventiivi ja optatiivi). Neljässä aikamuodossa, joita ovat preesens, imperfekti (preteriti), perfekti ja pluskvamperfekti, taipuu moduksista vain tunnukseton "perusmuoto" indikatiivi. Muilla moduksilla ei ole varsinaista morfologista tempustaivutusta (so. moduksen ja menneen ajan tunnusta ei voi käyttää yhtaikaa samassa taivutusmuodossa), vaan niiden mennyttä aikaa voidaan tarvittaessa ilmaista perfekti- tai pluskvamperfektimuodoilla (olisi mennyt, lienee mennyt).

Verbien nominaalimuodot jakaantuvat infinitiiveihin ja partisiippeihin. Infinitiivit käyttäytyvät lauseessa hieman substantiivien tapaan. Ne voivat taipua joissakin sijoissa (syömässä, syömästä, syömään, syömättä) ja joissain tapauksissa saada possessiivisuffiksin (mennessämme, nähdäkseni). Partisiipit ovat taas taivutukseltaan ja syntaksissa hyvin adjektiivien tapaisia, eli niillä on täydellinen sijataivutus ja jopa vertailuasteet (esim. tehdä-verbin 1. partisiipilla tekevä on voittoaste eli komparatiivi tekevämpi ja yliaste eli superlatiivi tekevin). Partisiipeilla, toisin kuin infinitiiveillä, on myös sekä aktiivi- että passiivimuodot (syövä - syötävä, syönyt - syöty).

Suomelle kuten useimmille muillekin uralilaisille kielille on ominaista, että kieltosana on verbi — sekä morfologisesti että syntaktisesti. Kieltoverbi (e-) taipuu persoonissa (indikatiivi en, et, ei, emme, ette, eivät, imperatiivi älä, älköön, älkäämme, älkää, älkööt). Kieltoverbin nominaalimuodoista on vielä jäljellä nykyisin etuliitteenä käytettävä 1. partisiipin muoto epä; vrt. muut samannäköiset vanhanaikaiset yksitavuisten verbien 1. partisiipit kuten syöpä, saapa, viepä, lyöpä, voipa. Lauseopillisesti kieltoverbi toimii apuverbinä jonkin pääverbin kanssa: esim. Sinä et lukenut (vrt. Sinä olet lukenut); Etkö sinä lukenut (vrt. Oletko sinä lukenut).

Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Leppa Janis

Post by Leppa Janis » Thu Jan 12, 2006 10:32 am

Eiskristall wrote:[For people who would like to learn Finnish I can advise to go live in a family or with friends, take a Finnish course and lend children books from the library. That's how I learnt Finnish. I think it's almost impossible to learn Finnish properly from a country other than Finland. :!: You have to understand Finnish culture, hear the language every day, meet Finnish people to start living in the language...
I completely agree with Eiskristal. And if you really want to learn it, I think you can do it. I just started to learn the language and find it fun to do. In 3 weeks I will live among the Finnish and their language , which I find very beautiful.

Can't wait to go!

Darkfire

Post by Darkfire » Mon Jan 16, 2006 5:41 am

Kätkyt wrote:Finnish is hard.
House=Talo
talo
talon
taloa
talona
taloksi
talossa
talosta
taloon
talolla
talolta
talolle
-and this is only one word. You have to choose the right one. :D
Hate to break it to ay kid but most langs are like that spanish is like that, french, english, finnish, italian. Most of it though is like how we say do, do not dont didnt.
No hablo frances. Soy un americano, vivos en rio de janerio...no yo vivo en estados undios, houston tejos.

mgcarley

Post by mgcarley » Mon Jan 16, 2006 1:09 pm

The main problem(s) I have learning Finnish is that most Finns just revert to English if I manage to screw up the pronounciation at all... I have to ask them to try to help me with my Finnish :x

sinikala

Post by sinikala » Mon Jan 16, 2006 1:52 pm

bohica wrote:Same thing in English really, we just do it with prepositions.

talo = house
talon = house's
taloa = some of the house
talona = don't know one for this
taloksi = into/as the house
talossa = in the house
talosta = from inside the house
taloon = into the house
talolla = next to the house
talolta = from beside the house
talolle = to the side of the house
From my very limited knowledge of Finnish grammar...

talolle = onto the house
talolla = on the house
talolta = from being on the house

Any native speaker care to clarify, or shoot me down in flames here?

"next to the house" = "talon vieressä" where vieressä is a postpositon? (as opposed to a preposition). And don't ask me how to say "to/from beside the house", if I have to take a shot I'd go for "talon viereen" & "talon vierestä".

sotka_

Post by sotka_ » Mon Jan 16, 2006 1:59 pm

sinikala wrote: From my very limited knowledge of Finnish grammar...

talolle = onto the house
talolla = on the house

talolle = to the house
talolla = at the house
talolta = from the house

I'd say (at least in this context, but unfortunately I only do bad Engrish)..

sinikala

Post by sinikala » Mon Jan 16, 2006 2:10 pm

sotka_ wrote:
sinikala wrote: From my very limited knowledge of Finnish grammar...

talolle = onto the house
talolla = on the house

talolle = to the house
talolla = at the house
talolta = from the house

I'd say (at least in this context, but unfortunately I only do bad Engrish)..
Can you give any example of when you'd use talolle, talolla & talolta instead of taloon, talossa, talosta?

sotka_

Post by sotka_ » Mon Jan 16, 2006 2:20 pm

sinikala wrote: Can you give any example of when you'd use talolle, talolla & talolta instead of taloon, talossa, talosta?
When you use "talolle, talolla & talolta", it's more like being around the house, close by it, not in it, as in "taloon, talossa, talosta".

If you ask someone to take a bag of cement to your house, you'd use "take it to the house" (talolle) instead of "into the house" (taloon).

When you are taking something "talolle", you'd leave it next to it. If someone is "talolla", he might be in the backyard for example.

Great examples, I know..

sinikala

Post by sinikala » Mon Jan 16, 2006 2:30 pm

sotka_ wrote:
sinikala wrote: Can you give any example of when you'd use talolle, talolla & talolta instead of taloon, talossa, talosta?
When you use "talolle, talolla & talolta", it's more like being around the house, close by it, not in it, as in "taloon, talossa, talosta".

If you ask someone to take a bag of cement to your house, you'd use "take it to the house" (talolle) instead of "into the house" (taloon).

When you are taking something "talolle", you'd leave it next to it. If someone is "talolla", he might be in the backyard for example.

Great examples, I know..
Good examples, I was struggling to think of something like that (I'm braindead today!), so cheers! :)

Viking 06

Post by Viking 06 » Mon Jan 16, 2006 2:34 pm

Hello! I'm a Finnish girl and if you want to ask me something about Finland as a country or about it's lanquage, I can help. By the way, are here any Finnish people?

kalmisto

Post by kalmisto » Mon Jan 16, 2006 3:25 pm

Viking 06 wrote:Hello! I'm a Finnish girl and if you want to ask me something about Finland as a country or about it's lanquage, I can help. By the way, are here any Finnish people?
Most posters on this forum are foreigners but there are many Finnish people here also.

Tässä on kysymys sinulle : Miksi "mies"-sanan monikon nominatiivi on "miehet" eikä "mieset"? Tämä taitaa olla niitä kysymyksiä joihin ei ole vastausta.

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Mon Jan 16, 2006 3:30 pm

Define a member of the "Finnish people" first ;)
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

sotka_

Post by sotka_ » Mon Jan 16, 2006 3:31 pm

Viking 06 wrote:By the way, are here any Finnish people?
"Yes." -Kosh, Babylon 5

enk

Post by enk » Mon Jan 16, 2006 5:55 pm

kalmisto wrote: Tässä on kysymys sinulle : Miksi "mies"-sanan monikon nominatiivi on "miehet" eikä "mieset"? Tämä taitaa olla niitä kysymyksiä joihin ei ole vastausta.
Because there are a number of cases where -s- and -h- change places;
they're not just limited to the end of words (remember that
kaunis --> kaunihin, where the -h- has disappeared over time, but can
still be found in some dialects). An extremely common word that used to
have an -s- in place of its modern -h- is hän (*sän, vrt. North Sámi
son, etc.).

As for the word's (mies ) origin, some say that it is an original
word, some say that it is a Germanic loan word, some say a Baltic.
So, your guess on that front is as good as any one else's!

-enk

Miikka

Post by Miikka » Mon Jan 16, 2006 9:01 pm

GaffiGubbi wrote:
Argan wrote:
Kätkyt wrote:Finnish is hard.
House=Talo
talo
talon
taloa
talona
taloksi
talossa
talosta
taloon
talolla
talolta
talolle
-and this is only one word. You have to choose the right one. :D
Most of those just replace prepositions (in, on of, to, from, with) etc. Prepositions have always been the hardest part in learning new languages for me.

And remember that there is only one irregular verb in finnish. Hundreds of those in german for example.
There are at least four irregular verbs in Finnish:

olla
nähdä
tehdä
juosta
Maybe valita and tarvita and mainita and häiritä too.
Valitsen
not Valian like in haluta - haluan

But that can also be some kind of verb type

Pelätä - Pelkään, too