Finnish and Japanese

Learn and discuss the Finnish language with Finn's and foreigners alike
efx

Re: Finnish and Japanese

Post by efx » Fri Mar 03, 2006 7:15 pm

matildemichi wrote:and i do also think that genetic features are also common, as you can notice from oriental eyes you can find in finnish faces sometimes, and also in estonian and hungarian ones.
And seems that the same old hot discussing is coming again :lol:

fighting with hatred feeds the rich men

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

matildemichi

Post by matildemichi » Fri Mar 03, 2006 10:55 pm

: D yes, you are right. its a case... i had to thank you for sharing my thought last time in private about finnish eyes : ) byebye
PS: i went to wien (vienna), and most of ppl thought i was turkish and not italian :D

sputnick

Post by sputnick » Tue Mar 07, 2006 7:41 pm

hmmm... japanese is a total mishmash of jomon culture and chinese influence. modern japanese bears little resemblance to anything except korean, and then only from a distance of at least 50ft in a crowded bar with a solid trip hop beat pulsing from the speakers.

what you want to be comparing is the language of the ainu minority in japan, aka ezo, and finnish. that might get you somewhere.

Argan

Post by Argan » Thu Mar 09, 2006 3:08 am

matildemichi wrote: i do also think that genetic features are also common, as you can notice from oriental eyes you can find in finnish faces sometimes, and also in estonian and hungarian ones.
That would be quite strange as Finns are mostly of germanic origin (largest group originates from Flanders region in Belgium), only the language is Uralic. Fenno-Ugric peoples, like the Sami, have very dark hair instead of blonde.

matildemichi

Post by matildemichi » Thu Mar 09, 2006 3:25 am

yes, exactly, i was reffering to certain kind of finnish ppl, evidently those whose origins come from asia, as lappons and sami : ) finnish people have different and various origins... but there are also blond ones having oriental eyes, and probably they are swedes or anyway germanic populations mixed with lappi people... heippä ja hyvää yötä

efx

Post by efx » Thu Mar 09, 2006 3:33 am

matildemichi wrote:: D yes, you are right. its a case... i had to thank you for sharing my thought last time in private about finnish eyes : ) byebye
PS: i went to wien (vienna), and most of ppl thought i was turkish and not italian :D
May be the Italian people came from asia too :lol:
fighting with hatred feeds the rich men

Xochiquetzal

Post by Xochiquetzal » Thu Mar 09, 2006 3:38 pm

A syllabic-based language is, by nature, limited. It should not be so surprising that the Finnish and Japanese languages have similarities. Thinking they have a common root is scurrious logic akin to pronouncing that ALL languages have the same base since in every language "to be" is irregular (ENK can correct me if there is some obscure exemption to that rule).

I remember when I first moved here and the most confusing thing in the world to me was that "ei" means 'no' in Finnish but it means 'yes' in Japanese. It was, by far, the most difficult part of acculturating. I never knew if I was saying yes or no.

Well, ok, the second hardest was to not be appalled when I had to get my coworker's attention by calling his name. His name was Aho :/

One thing is for sure, though, that syllabic based languages produce far lovelier song lyrics.
Last edited by Xochiquetzal on Fri Mar 10, 2006 4:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

enk

Post by enk » Fri Mar 10, 2006 10:30 am

Xochiquetzal wrote:Thinking they have a common root is surrious logic askin to pronouncing that ALL languages have the same base since in every language "to be" is irregular (ENK can correct me if there is some obscure exemption to that rule).
Nuts, now I'm going to spend all weekend thinking about that :lol: .
Xochiquetzal wrote:Well, ok, the second hardest was to not be appalled when I had to get my coworker's attention by calling his name. His name was Aho :/
I've had problems calling some of my friends by their real names:
Pinja (hey, pineapple!), Ronja (oh yeah, scurvy!) and Juho (You ho!).
Thank god for IRC nicks ;)

-enk

enk

Post by enk » Fri Mar 10, 2006 10:41 am

Ok, didn't take long to think, apparently my brain still works.
Quechua and I think Zulu have perfectly regular verbs for
"to be". I'm still debating about the various "Eskimo" languages.

EDIT: Doh, how could I forget the Sámi languages? :lol:

-enk

Xochiquetzal

Post by Xochiquetzal » Fri Mar 10, 2006 4:42 pm

enk wrote:Ok, didn't take long to think, apparently my brain still works.
Quechua and I think Zulu have perfectly regular verbs for
"to be". I'm still debating about the various "Eskimo" languages.

EDIT: Doh, how could I forget the Sámi languages? :lol:

-enk
Well, there we go. They came from Mars. All other languages come the same root here on Earth. natch.

:)

Did I really have that many typos in the previous post? *cry*

Kompostiturska

Post by Kompostiturska » Fri Apr 07, 2006 8:24 pm

Oh dear, this topic felt so interesting that I had to register 8)

The most obvious resemblance is the thing matildemichi already mentioned. The indicator of a question. In Indoeuropean languages, for example, a question is made by changing the order of words. In Finnish, Estonian and Japanese, a question is indicated with "-ko/-kö" (FIN), "kas" (EST) or "ka" (JAP).
Nihongo o hanashimasu ka?
Puhutko suomea?
Kas sä räägit eesti keelt?
If those three aren't close relatives, I'll eat my socks. Another thing very similar is the indicator of possession; in Japanese, "my (something)" is "watashi no(something)", which is very similar to the Finnish genitive form, most surprisingly "-n".
sammy wrote: the most prominent features being the syllabic word construction and the three different alphabets (hiragana, katagana and kanji) make it very hard to believe that there's be anything in common between our languages.
First of all, writing systems have nothing to do with a language's origin.
Secondly, WTF? Finnish has a syllabic word construction nearly identical to the Japanese one! Does "katosiko takakumi" ring a bell? How about "vasara" or "Kokemäki"? Also notice how unnatural it is to have certain consonants successively in Finnish: "traktori" is an impossible word for a Finnish child; it might as well be "turakutori", which would resemble Japanese very much.
Sure, Finnish has some differences (for example, a word can end with just a T), but that is what I call language evolution. It's not like Japanese and Finnish got separated two days ago. I am actually surprised how great the resemblace is, since Hungarian, for example, is total gibberish to me. But I actually have an explanation for this one, too: isolation. Thousands of years ago, when Ural-Japonic languages separated, the Finns went up North, where it was so freezing nobody wanted to come there and ruin their linquistic heritage. The same goes for the Japanese, who moved to an island. The Hungarians, however, were left in Central Europe in the middle of Slovenic influences, making a language completely different from its isolated cousins.

As for the genetics, we, the "actual" Finns, are a dirty mixture of who-knows-what resembling Flemish people, but the Sami are very... asianish. And when we go across the Ural mountains, we meet the Samoyeds, a genetically Asian group who speak Uralic languages. What do you think we will meet after going a bit more East (past the Yugaghirs (another "maybe-uralic" group)) and taking a little boat ride? That is right, the Japanese.

BTW, matildemichi, I have had the same goals as you do for a very long time. It is going to be an epic battle between us someday :shock:
Last edited by Kompostiturska on Wed Aug 16, 2006 4:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

matildemichi

konnichi wa! moikka!

Post by matildemichi » Fri Apr 07, 2006 10:54 pm

im very glad i found someone sharing my same opinions. we should ask money found to japanese and finnish gouvernments to make researches about this theory :wink:

...there is something very strange.....arabic forms the possessive pronoms by using a final -nii or i for the 1 singul person, as in finnish....terryfing, isnt it??? :twisted: but i guess this time we have to admit its just a case...

btw, are you a man or a woman?

soitellaan 8)

Timbeh

Post by Timbeh » Fri Apr 07, 2006 11:04 pm

I knew an italian guy who used to say that finnish sounds like somekind of mix between arabic and japanese. So there. :wink:
"The whole world cries out, "Peace, Freedom, and a few less fat bastards eating all the pie"."
- Edmund Blackadder

matildemichi

Post by matildemichi » Fri Apr 07, 2006 11:07 pm

:shock:

....hard for me to say that one was one of the few stupid italians in the world : )

arabic??? no arabic sound in finnish. ; )
ciao

raamv

Post by raamv » Fri Apr 07, 2006 11:17 pm

The Sami have Dark hair... The Dravidians have dark hair and dark skin..( Cos they re tanning all the time in da sun)
Finnish Word has 8 contexts...The Dravidian Language ( of Tamil) has 13 contexts..
sentences and Words formed with adjoining with others...Came from the Dravidian language heirarchy. I wonder if the Ugers and Magyars borrowed it From Dravidians.
Word form difficult to judge..But then for example:
Ananas in Finnish = Pineapple ( that Finns never produced) But is the same in Hindi ( which in tirn was borrowed from Dravidian).
Koti = Home; Tamil: Kottai = Dwelling or Fort 2500 years ago and today.
isa = dad; isaan = "Holy father" in Tamil
Aiti = mom; aathaa ( pronounciation) in tamil = mom
I aint saying that because of similar words that Fenno-Ugarian is equivalent to Dravidian, but then THey definitely have a connection and that it remains to be researched cos the Origins of Fenno and Ugarian Languages are still unkown and that Dravidian language like Tamil( and mebbe Finish) still exist in almost its purest form to due to perseverent conservation of them!!

/Raam