Finnish Boot Camp!

Learn and discuss the Finnish language with Finn's and foreigners alike
deojuvame

Finnish Boot Camp!

Post by deojuvame » Wed Oct 01, 2003 8:01 pm

I just caught wind of the existence of a finnish boot camp that runs in the summertime.

Apparently you go off into the woods in the summertime with a bunch of other finnish language neophytes, and the camp counselors/teachers speak nothing but finnish to you, and give you homework to do when you're not doing finnish language "camp" type activities.

After a week or so, they release you back into finnish civilization, where you've a lot more prepared to deal with people in Finnish.

Anyone hear anything about this?

Finnish Boot Camp!

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Wed Oct 01, 2003 10:57 pm

There's one I know especially for "ulkosuomalaiset" i.e. expat kids, that need a little (or a whole lot) brush-up in the language. I think it may have been organized (or co-organized) with "suomalaisuuden liitto" but I'm not like 100% on it. (they might have links though). I think this is the "total immersion" concept at work. Someone here IIRC had been to something similar?
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

Handsome

Post by Handsome » Thu Oct 02, 2003 10:23 am

The Finnish Church Guild do something like this once a year.

http://www.finn-guild.org/english/index.html

Paul

Post by Paul » Tue Oct 14, 2003 5:43 am

A place I went for a one month Finnish language course was just outside of Hauho at the Viittakivi International Centre, 30 km from Hämeenlinna . They have bare bones basics and more advanced Finnish language courses. They also have a study programme for immigrants living in Finland.

From Helsinki it takes about two hours by train and bus to Viittakivi, and from Tampere and Lahti less than one hour

When you need a break, get directions for rowing over to Hauho. Very relaxing. ;-}

http://www.ofw.fi/viittakivi

or [email protected]

If you contact them, tell them "Hello from Paul in Los Angeles."