Learning Finnish outside of Finland

Learn and discuss the Finnish language with Finn's and foreigners alike
zedkoman

Post by zedkoman » Thu Nov 13, 2003 3:53 am

Hi people!

I know that Finnish is THE hardest language on Earth to learn, which puts me in a difficult place. How is it possible to learn Finnish far away from Finland, in my case upstate NY? If I were learning French I wouldn't have a problem because Quebec is 2 hours away, likewise, Spanish in NYC. I have a theory that the only way to effectively learn any language besides your own is to be immersed in the culture of the language in focus. When I lived in Vantaa I would always go to my roomate when I had questions on the language. I plan to go to school, any school in Finland, but I would prefer to study in Finnish, to begin in Finnish. I went to school for a while in Eiran Aikuislukio in Helsinki and got up to level 2, but gradually the suomea mene pois :) Do you have any suggestions for learning Finnish, any GOOD websites? I gotta go now but I will be checking in later.

zedko

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

j o h a n n a

Post by j o h a n n a » Fri Nov 14, 2003 3:25 am

how far upstate are you? columbia in nyc has finnish classes--in fact i'm taking one now. if you're not super-far upstate, that might work (hey, i'm originally from long island--to me anything past the bronx is upstate :wink: ). for what it's worth, i looooooove my prof.

edited to say: *cough* i just reread your post & caught the "quebec is 2 hours away" thing. so maybe commuting to columbia for class isn't so feasible. sorry!

zedkoman

Post by zedkoman » Fri Nov 14, 2003 7:21 pm

hey johana

I live in Glens Falls, 50 miles north of Albany about 200 miles (3-4 hours by car) away from NYC. Are the Finnish classes in Columbia open to the public? If they are, I might just go.... I have some friends of friends who live in Queens, and I would like a change of scenery. I am kind of bummed right now because I work in Target and I am not getting anywhere in terms of my Finnish. I have a Finnish-English dictionary and from Berlitz and the 'Finnish an Essential Grammar' out by Routledge written by Fred Karlsson. The book is good and thourough, but you have to persistent! I am planning to take the entrance exams into some of the polytechnics over there, so I am trying to learn as much as I can. I sometimes listen to YLE on my DSL connection, it feels as if I am back in Jokiniemi (Vantaa) where I used to live. What inspired me when I was over there was the amount of foreigners of non-Finnish extraction that spoke Finnish very well. All around the asylum communities in Tikkurila, Koivukyla, and Korso but also including Myyrmaki and Vuosaari, Mellunmaki in Helsinki there are the cafes, communiy centers and gathering places of middle easterners, africans, eastern europeans and southeast asians who are very capable of communicating in Finnish. That gave me hope but my permit app was rejected while in Finland so I had to come back here and do the paperwork from here. If I could take a course at Columbia, I would definitely go. Can you give me more info?

zedko

j o h a n n a

Post by j o h a n n a » Fri Nov 14, 2003 7:58 pm

i'm so jealous that you've already lived in finland! :)

here's the webpage w/the columbia finnish courses on it. you'd have to register as a continuing education student. it's pretty pricey (a bit less so if you take it noncredit)--i'm lucky because my partner works @ columbia, so i get tuition benefits. the professor, aili flint, is awesome. i'm not sure what class you'd be most appropriate in--the equivalent of finnish 101 is only offered in the fall, but if you already know some suomea you might be able to join a more advanced class.

queens! WOO! i live in queens & am always promoting it/standing up for it. ;)

that's quite a commute for you i think, though! or are you thinking of moving?

i know that prof. flint did some finnish presentation (i think on folklore) up near buffalo earlier this semester. if anyone would know about any existing finnish courses closer to you, she would...

good luck! & let me know if you do end up coming downstate... hell, if you decide you need an IMMEDIATE change, you may even end up in my class next semester!

zedkoman

Post by zedkoman » Sun Nov 16, 2003 9:35 pm

cool. i will look into it. but housing is so expensive!!!! that is my concern. i dont know yet. thanks for answering my questions.

j o h a n n a

Post by j o h a n n a » Sun Nov 16, 2003 11:14 pm

housing is less expensive if you are willing to live a bit further out into queens (or brooklyn, i'd assume--but brooklyn as a whole has more "hip" spots so more expensive). or the other outer boroughs, too. just keep that in mind. :) a longer commute can be worth a lot in less rent... don't give up! :)

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Sun Nov 16, 2003 11:33 pm

j o h a n n a wrote:i'm so jealous that you've already lived in finland!
In Jokiniemi? And hanging about in Koivukylä & Korso? He must then feel at home in the Bronx :mrgreen:
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

zedkoman

Post by zedkoman » Mon Nov 17, 2003 5:56 am

Johanna-

Well, I will look around. I got Aili Flint's email address so I will be in contact with her. I had a couple of Finnish friend's that actually came to visit me here in Glens Falls last summer, and so I kinda already have online tutors that help me out. Johanna is a Finnish name. Do you have a background from Finland?

Hank-

Parts of the Bronx just symbolize why Jenkkimaa has totally failed to create a just and equitable society for all Jenkki people, and why I personally would like to emigrate permanently to Finland. :D Korso and Koivukyla are heavenly compared to parts of Bronx and Brooklyn that are *scary* :twisted: and where you really do fear for your life. I never felt that way in Finland, in the student ghettoes of Jokiniemi either. There were just a bunch of foreign students living in the HOAS apts who were pissed off because they had to walk several blocks to get to the Tikkurila train station and that they couldn't live in Helsinki. I had a buddy that lived in Lansimaki (Vantaa) just north of Mellunmaki. That place was scary. The Russians took everything. I left my suitcase in his building on the first floor, and in 5 minutes it was gone. I had valuables in that suitcase and I offered money, I knocked on doors, but I never got it back. It was sad. At night Mellunmaki is more dangerous then Kontula, there are more wackos and wierdos and drunk Finns that chase and push after you, because they are mad for some reason, I don't know.... But it happened to me. :?

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Mon Nov 17, 2003 9:02 am

Yeah, always someone asks for a "cheap" place to live I'll definitely know to give them "good addresses". I'd lived in Jokiniemi and around Tikkurila for some 5-6 years. Really Jokiniemi wasn't that bad even we found syringes and paraphernalia under the 'big curve' where I lived at first. And the kids in the underpassage trying to "roll" you when you teetered home from the pub...

These "eastern suburbs" you described aren't that bad... atleast according to Olly they resemble paradise compared to his home town - and I call him livin in the ghetto - so everything is I guess a bit depending on the viewpoint and previous experiences.

I moved to the 'West side' to get some peace & quiet. Ok, so some kid blows up our mall and theres been a few people shot, but not as much ruckus in Myyrmaki than there was in Tikkurila... and the thing about being chased by drunk gangs. Reasons why to watch your six and not hang about in weird places...
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.