lingua franca -suomeksi

Learn and discuss the Finnish language with Finn's and foreigners alike
Tom and Jerry

lingua franca -suomeksi

Post by Tom and Jerry » Wed Jan 14, 2004 11:13 pm

Children in East Timor learn Finnish from schoolbooks

Finnish is a neutral language; Portuguese, English and Bahasa Indonesian all relate to the colonial past

Where was that link of the guy who claimed that Finnish or a Fenno language was spoken once, before the Celtic era, all over Europe?

I found instead this one about Finnish spoken on East-Timor in HS-international edition.

--------------

By Inkeri Koskela

"Leikkaa tästä" (cut here), "piirrä" (draw), "tavataan taas" (see you later). Children in East Timor may soon surprise an unsuspecting Finnish traveller with short Finnish greetings and instructions, which they have picked up from their Finnish schoolbook, Opin Itse (I'm Learning).
Last year a Finnish publishing house provided East Timor with 220,000 copies of a schoolbook aimed at first and second graders. This is a fairly substantial order from a country with total population of just shy of 800,000. There's a book for every fourth East Timorese.

After the first year the feedback on the Finnish books has been good, report UN officials.

lingua franca -suomeksi

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

kalmisto

Post by kalmisto » Mon Jan 19, 2004 1:43 pm

I do not understand this at all. Aren´t Finnish school books totally useless in East Timor because people do not understand Finnish.

What would Finnish school children think if they were given school books in Chinese or Japanese?