Finnish online games?

Learn and discuss the Finnish language with Finn's and foreigners alike
henkilökohtaisesti

Finnish online games?

Post by henkilökohtaisesti » Mon Oct 20, 2008 7:55 am

Moi! Miten menee?
Wow, I have not posted in so long. I'm surprised I remembered my username.
I have been catching up and reading all the threads in kielikoulu, helpful as usual! I love this website!

Anyway, what I've been doing lately is reading Finnish websites and picking them apart sentence by sentence. It's a bit repetitive but it works. :)
But I was talking to a friend of mine a couple weeks ago. He is from France and he was telling me how he learnt most of his English through playing online games. Of course I think he was just joking, but I do love the idea.
Sadly after endless googling, I am still having trouble finding games in Finnish. It would be so amazing to purchase console games subtitled in Finnish over the internet (I still love my PS2), but all the sites I found shipped within Finland's borders only. :( If someone could help me out here that would be amazing, but more realistically, how about some online games in Finnish? Preferrably ones that are based around the text (I wouldn't want a point-and-click game wherein you wouldn't need to even look at the text to know what to do or what is going on).

Any suggestions?

Finnish online games?

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

onkko

Re: Finnish online games?

Post by onkko » Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:22 am

Well youll find only kid games, some electronic arts sportgames and sims in finnish :(
puolenkuunpelitseems delivering outside Finland.
http://www.puolenkuunpelit.com/kauppa/p ... s_id=16854 is only subtitled game what i found in fast search.

Finland is so small market that normally only manual is translated or quick quide in finnish added.
Caesare weold Graecum, ond Caelic Finnum

Upphew

Post by Upphew » Mon Oct 20, 2008 1:40 pm

onkko wrote: Finland is so small market that normally only manual is translated or quick quide in finnish added.
And one learns English mighty fast when trying to play Leisure suit Larry before learning English formally at school...
http://google.com http://translate.google.com http://urbandictionary.com
Visa is for visiting, Residence Permit for residing.

Sakari

Post by Sakari » Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:15 pm

I vaguely remember that the finnish version of NHL09 has a finnish commentator as an option. Then of course there's also a finnish version of singstar (a karaoke game) :D

www.travian.fi, it's an online game which you play in your browser. It's a strategy game where you try to build your own empire and make alliances etc. It can be really time consuming if you really get into it. The game pretty much is just text.

www.hattrick.org is also a browser based online game where you play against other people. You are in the position of managing your own football (soccer) team. You probably will have the front page as in your own language but as you register I'm quite certain that you can change it to finnish on the fly. Also, this way you can change the language on the go and check out (in your own language) that you've understood the text right.

You've actually inspired me to register to hattrick and use french as my language :D
"piereskellä <- to "shout" a lot, kind of like Hank" -rob34

Pursuivant

Post by Pursuivant » Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:41 pm

If you are into command-line adventure games I suppose theres a number floating around.
"By the pricking of my thumbs,
Something wicked this way comes."

Oombongo

Post by Oombongo » Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:44 pm

il2 1946 has quite big Finnish community.
Image Image

Jukka Aho

Post by Jukka Aho » Tue Oct 21, 2008 2:58 pm

Pursuivant wrote:If you are into command-line adventure games I suppose theres a number floating around.
I posted about those a while ago.

znark