seeking info on Promentor Solutions language software

Learn and discuss the Finnish language with Finn's and foreigners alike
Nathan Lillie

Post by Nathan Lillie » Tue Jun 17, 2003 1:35 pm

Hi

I noticed CD for a computer-based teach yourself Finnish language course at the Akateeminen Kirjapaupa. The course is produced by Promentor Solutions. It looks promising, but it is expensive (170 euros) and the information on the package doesn't really help to evaluate the product.
Furthermore, I looked at the Promentor Solutions website, where it says that it is necessary to first buy their basic language program for 300 euros, install that, and then install the specific language course software on top of it. 470 euros is a big investment for something which might not be particularly useful.

Has anyone tried to use this?

Nathan

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

PeterF

Post by PeterF » Tue Jun 17, 2003 8:43 pm

I have a course from Promentor on Cds...not worth the investment..if it is the course called "Finnish on three levels...Suomea 3 kerroksessa."
It has no instructions on use and not any support book of any sort.. and the main reason I bought it.. in the advert "a speaking dictionary does not work " I phoned them and asked for help and why the dictionary does not work..and they said that the were working with Jyväskylä university to get the dictionary working..but it was for the next edition.. :cry:
When I asked why the advert and CDROm sleve said it had this dictionary they went all evasive..not impressed.. :x

tjawatts

Post by tjawatts » Tue Jun 17, 2003 8:57 pm

Helsinki Summer University, 8 levels 90EUR/level (EUR 35 for students) which works out at EUR720 in total. For that you get a real life teacher which you can ask as many questions as you like ;-) As each course is 49 hours which works out at less than EUR 2 an hour.

I would defnitely recommend these courses, on level 5 at the moment.

Tony

gavin

Post by gavin » Tue Jun 17, 2003 9:00 pm

Depends what level you want.

For starters, you could try Opi Suomea(1) and WorldTalk Finnish(2) both from EuroTalk interactive http://www.eurotalk.co.uk (each a single, quite basic CDR for MAC or PC)

I just checked their website, and these days they're charging about 25 GBP for each, or 48 for the pair (guv :wink: )

Something more advanced, I don't know about. I know a lad who bought the Linguaphone audio tapes in Finnish, which were fecking expensive, and not exactly great (according to him)

Well, if you're interested in the basic ones from EuroTalk, I still have mine, and they're not so much used these days. PM or e-mail me and we can make a deal, if you like :wink:

Cheers
Gavin

Nathan Lillie

Post by Nathan Lillie » Wed Jun 18, 2003 8:38 am

Thanks for the info. I guess I won't buy the Promentor software. I already have tapes and such, but was hoping the software would do something tapes and books don't. Like maybe learn Finnish for me so I don't have to :( Oh well. Back to the old-fashioned method, I suppose.

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Wed Jun 18, 2003 8:49 am

Just employ someone to whack you with a ruler on the knuckles you make a grammatical mistake... worked for me learning English :mrgreen:
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.