Post by laa » Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:12 pm

Way to necro, bro.

Re: What does "Taa" mean?

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

opinto

Post by opinto » Thu Jul 15, 2010 5:04 pm

Taa on Englannin Yorkshire Kansamurre sana Taa sama kuin ääntämys Tar on Thanks on Tanska Tak k on heikko på rootsiKieli ta g en ord som ta g G ei on ole ut ta lad mut ta runo on Kaunis

Summer rain
One drop all of a sudden
On a leaf turns lush
A clap of thunder din
Water from a paint brush
Soon the the scent of flowers
Burst from summer showers
Glittering in the sunshine
Birds singing in chime
My dearest rose
to me come close
sing me a song of summer rain
a longing refrain

copy right
haluan oppia puhumaan suomea peremmin Kirjoitaa se

Masugn

Post by Masugn » Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:58 am

Sorry for the necro, but technically the question wasn't entirely answered.

That line of the chant refers to the Dark Stream, the Black River of Tuonela. Easiest description, you can think of it as the River Styx, into the Underworld.
Historically, it's used most notably in the stories of Vainamoinen and Ilmarinen of the Kalevala. Most specifically Ilmarinen, as he was tasked with killing the "pike of Tuoni", a monstrous fish inhabiting the River of Tuonela.

A lot of Ensiferum's, and especially Amorphis', songs reference the Kalevala. I'm pretty sure that many of the things in the Kalevala aren't part of Finnish culture anymore (if they ever were), so a lot of it can be hard to find elsewhere. Personally, I'd recommend reading it, though it can be hard to trudge through at times.

I think that covers everything?

jahasjahas

Post by jahasjahas » Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:27 pm

Did you join the forum simply to post that? Not that I'm judging you :beer_yum:

Masugn

Post by Masugn » Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:26 am

jahasjahas wrote:Did you join the forum simply to post that? Not that I'm judging you :beer_yum:
Yes. Yes I did. This thread (and a related one) is one of the first and one of the few relevant Google results to subjects including this song. The few others are mostly useless, and there doesn't seem to be anything relatively concrete on this topic. Especially for this song, any valuable resources have a vague relation at best. Just trying to make the internet a slightly more informative place. Though you raise a good point, I think I'll check out some of the other areas on this forum while I'm here.

Stuhar

Post by Stuhar » Sun Jun 15, 2014 12:09 pm

Another meaning for taa is 'this, this one; that, that one'
Example from a stele in southern Portugal, near Loule, called Vale dos Vermjelhos II. At the very end of the inscription the scribe writes
Pääyn taa, 'I will end this'.

onkko

Post by onkko » Sun Jun 15, 2014 11:49 pm

Stuhar wrote:Another meaning for taa is 'this, this one; that, that one'
Example from a stele in southern Portugal, near Loule, called Vale dos Vermjelhos II. At the very end of the inscription the scribe writes
No.
Caesare weold Graecum, ond Caelic Finnum

onkko

Post by onkko » Sun Jun 15, 2014 11:51 pm

Masugn wrote:Sorry for the necro, but technically the question wasn't entirely answered.

That line of the chant refers to the Dark Stream, the Black River of Tuonela. Easiest description, you can think of it as the River Styx, into the Underworld.
Historically, it's used most notably in the stories of Vainamoinen and Ilmarinen of the Kalevala. Most specifically Ilmarinen, as he was tasked with killing the "pike of Tuoni", a monstrous fish inhabiting the River of Tuonela.

A lot of Ensiferum's, and especially Amorphis', songs reference the Kalevala. I'm pretty sure that many of the things in the Kalevala aren't part of Finnish culture anymore (if they ever were), so a lot of it can be hard to find elsewhere. Personally, I'd recommend reading it, though it can be hard to trudge through at times.

I think that covers everything?
You shouldnt use current music as proof of anything, this is like you claim cristanity arent part of finnish culture because we dont stone adulters.
Caesare weold Graecum, ond Caelic Finnum

jahasjahas

Post by jahasjahas » Mon Jun 16, 2014 12:13 am

Stuhar wrote:Another meaning for taa is 'this, this one; that, that one'
I really really want this person to post again and tell us more.

It seems that "taa" means 'lamp', 'light' in Swahili. :lightbulb: