Aurinko

Learn and discuss the Finnish language with Finn's and foreigners alike
onkko

Re: Aurinko

Post by onkko » Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:55 pm

priimus wrote:i watched some hours ago sunrise and thought how important the sun has been for human for thousands of years, and especially in those times, when people didn't know that sun is just a general star, which is fortunately (very) near to us. in estonian we call sun päike, the words päike and päev, päivä are closely related, suffix -ke means something little and cute - sun gave them days and they had to appreciate it.
i have learned little bit finnish and i know that the main things in life are called with same words, for example vesi, tuli, meri and so on.. but surprisingly, words for sun are different. i started to think about the finnish word aurinko and read this topic and now i want to add, how an estonian may interpret this word.

au+rinko au means in estonian honour, but in finnish auvo, autuus bliss. and rinko.. in estonian there's a borrowed word ring, which has the same meaning in english. there's also a borrowed word rõngas, the finnish word is rengas. so, rinko = rengas?
in that way, aurinko has definitely a great meaning. :D
Ring of pleasure, i like how you think.
Offtopic but today my brothers gf posted in facebook about http://www.saapad.ee/ and those dont look at all saapas! Also im convicted that word piimä comes from estonian traders who sold bad milk to us :D (piim is milk in estonian but piimä is buttermilk in finnish)

Caesare weold Graecum, ond Caelic Finnum

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

ml14

Post by ml14 » Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:29 pm

I'm pretty sure that sinko does not contain the -nko suffix; the -nko in this word just seems to be part of the base.

Some more examples of -(i)nko would be

ylänkö "highland" < ylä-
alanko "lowland" < ala-
tasanko "plain" < tasa-

But if we're only looking for examples of -inko (rather than -nko preceded by other vowels), then I guess these don't count.

Rob A. wrote: Well, I did look around a bit and, to my surprise...:D ...I did find another "candidate" for the "Aurinko Test".... sinko from the verb singota.... there were a few other possibilities, but they were either more recently borrowed words, or words involving the question clitic....

So it seems Ms. Ridderstad's hypothesis still remains plausible, if not yet compelling ... :lol:

We probably need either another seven or eight good examples, or a "knock-out punch"....:D :D