An Euro or A Euro?

Learn and discuss the Finnish language with Finn's and foreigners alike
tiinajk

An Euro or A Euro?

Post by tiinajk » Thu Apr 15, 2004 10:58 am

Perhaps this forum is more for questions about Finnish but here is one about English and I hope that seeing as this is an English Speakers Association you should be able to help. <smile>

Does one say/write "An Euro" or "A Euro"?

I was taught in school that you use "An" in front of words that start with vowels but in ESL teaches that you only use it if the word phonetically starts with a vowel sound.

I was always useless at English at school but seeing as it's my mother tounge, everyone here asked me all the specific language quetions.

Help!

Tiina

Image Image

An Euro or A Euro?

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Post by Guest » Thu Apr 15, 2004 11:27 am

It's A Euro.

It's correct to say that words that phonetically start with a vowel get AN and words that phonetically start with a consonant get A.

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Thu Apr 15, 2004 11:53 am

Isn't u a vowel?
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

Rosamunda

Post by Rosamunda » Thu Apr 15, 2004 11:56 am

'nother question...

some/many euro or,

some/many euros

phonetically euro starts with /j/

Iris

Post by Iris » Thu Apr 15, 2004 12:00 pm

Arno wrote:It's A Euro.

It's correct to say that words that phonetically start with a vowel get AN and words that phonetically start with a consonant get A.
Phonetically means that U is pronounced as [juu] - thus it's not a vowel sound...
but uncle :arrow: [ankl] or something like that
tricky :roll:

Iris

Post by Iris » Thu Apr 15, 2004 12:02 pm

penelope wrote:'nother question...

some/many euro or,

some/many euros
i always say 50 euros, 4 euros
penelope wrote:phonetically euro starts with /j/
you were fast! :)

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Thu Apr 15, 2004 12:23 pm

Phonetically?

'u' is pronounced in the alphabet as 'you', not as 'jew' so it cannot be pronounced as a 'j' for that is a definite 'dz' sound in the alphabet when you say 'ei' 'dzei' 'kei' 'ell'.
Cheers, Hank W.

Rosamunda

Post by Rosamunda » Thu Apr 15, 2004 12:31 pm

I dont mean j I mean /j/ which is not a letter but a phonetic symbol representing a sound. In fact /j/ doesn't have a dot on the j but I JUST COULDN'T BE BOTHERED TO GO LOOKING FOR PHONETIC SYMBOLS IN MY FONTS... OK??? :roll:

Look up Euro- in a dictionary and you'll see the phonetic spelling.

Yes, I was quick wasn't I :wink: But now I'm going out, job to go to. bye

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Thu Apr 15, 2004 12:32 pm

Easiest way as always is go ask the horse how it wants to be neighed:

http://europa.eu.int/comm/economy_finan ... ing_en.pdf

"However, more general usage of these terms may differ in some languages, such as English, where it is natural practice to refer to the currency in the plural form as ‘euros’ instead of the official form ‘euro’. This is the same practice as used with most currencies in English, as in the plural form ‘dollars’."

The Bank of England uses 'euros' so I suspect after a practice develops the rules will adapt to the 'reality'.

About the a/an question: apparently beats them too: In some it follows the main word - in some it doesn't.

"A Euro-Mediterranean youth exchange cooperation programme should therefore be ... while highlighting the cultural aspects in an Euro-Mediterranean context. ..."

on the initiative of his country to organise an Euro-Mediterranean Conference ... need
to take decisive steps for the structuring of a Euro-Mediterranean research

and straightforward system for an organization that operates in a euro zone. ... the proposed
single currency system, both Member States with an euro-based economy ...

An euro € is worth just under IR£0.79. ... Do this before 01 January next year and you should have a good grasp of what a euro will buy before the changeover day

engineer also is running Win 3.x, and he was unable to find a euro either. ... Then, when you need to insert an euro, simply put the cursor where you want it and

Like someone make their mind up on this please (most of those quotes are from EU pages too)
Last edited by Hank W. on Thu Apr 15, 2004 12:58 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Cheers, Hank W.

BAT

Post by BAT » Thu Apr 15, 2004 12:39 pm

Euro is pronounced as [jerou] (upside down e, horseshoe-like u) in English.

Does that help Hank?

strawberry

Post by strawberry » Thu Apr 15, 2004 12:41 pm

An 'otel, eh?? :wink:

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Thu Apr 15, 2004 12:54 pm

Not really, because I know Finnish pronunciation and the letters don't change but depending on the person speaking the English phonetics depend on the person, like nobody has spoken the phonetic alphabet to me ever so I do not understand it. And I'm tone deaf anyhow.

In Finnish euro is pronounced 'euro' as it is spelled that way and all other countries have 'öörö' or 'yroo' or some other weird pronunciations.
Cheers, Hank W.

BAT

Post by BAT » Thu Apr 15, 2004 1:03 pm

Yes, but Tiina wanted to know about English, and the English pronunciation determines the article "a" or "an". :D

strawberry

Post by strawberry » Thu Apr 15, 2004 1:09 pm

Hank, I seem to be having a bad day anyway (sorry) but I didn't get that... This was English we were talking about, yeah? So "euro" is not pronounced öörö in any English speaking country, yes? Please correct me if I'm missing something...

And there are variations in the Finnish language, too. And anyways, there is not a single language in the whole wide world spoken exactly as it's written. If nothing else, we have our "äng-äänteet" etc. not to mention the duplication of spoken consonants where only one is written etc.etc... (Cannot recall the fancy linguistic terms for those now) PLUS regional variations (e.g. here in Helsinki region it seems to be customary to say "miäs" instead of "mies" nowadays... My kids do - I don't...)

But that is probably beside the point already... (More connected with the slagging-off of the Finnish language and the school system... :twisted: )

strawberry

Post by strawberry » Thu Apr 15, 2004 1:10 pm

Bat beat me to it!!! :lol: